Sign in to follow this  
breaker

Squad balance

Whilst lying ill in bed (aahh) I thought I might try an exercise that I use at work when trying to see things more clearly, By putting each player in their primary position (ie NOT saying Charlie is a central midfielder), the following facts have emerged.....

The central mid and striker positions make up 50% of the current squad. Compared to most clubs in the Championship & Premiership this is unwieldy - the usual is around 30-35%.

We have NO natural right sided midfielder.

We have NO natural left sided midfielder.

25% of the current squad could leave in June this year.

None of our strikers have ever scored more than 15 goals a season in the Championship and that has happened only twice between them.

If Green is sold we are then left with three goalkeepers, one who could leave in June, one who is on the transfer list and one who is just out of our Academy.

Of the five central midfielders, four were not greatly missed by the supporters of the clubs they left (in general).

I have not included the likes of Rossi Jarvis, Spillane, Cave-Brown etc as members of the squad as they are really only on the periphery. Stats have been taken from various websites so I assume they are correct.

Some of these findings have already been discussed on this forum but they still look scary on paper.

This exercise was also done in response to the post about developing a transfer strategy - even though I am not a qualified football coach working in the professional game to me the squad looks unbalanced, lacking in key areas, and recent purchases/sales do not seem to be part of a cohesive development of the squad. But hey, what do I know, I''m just a supporter!

Unbalanced!![*-)] you''re so right, it would be nice if when any of the misplaced team went out with an idea of what to do!!

[quote user="breaker"] 25% of the current squad could leave in June this year. [/quote]

Who are the 25%

Matt - the squad is currently 23 strong, not including the likes of Spillane, Cave-Brown etc, and 6 players are out of contract in June 2006 - so the figure is actually more than 25% but a quarter is close enough! Se my thread on Contracts for the full list.