WD40

Wilder 😂

Here he is talking about our win, disguising insults as complements https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/latest-blades-news/sheffield-united-why-boss-chris-wilder-believes-blades-can-take-inspiration-norwich-citys-win-over-manchester-city-when-they-travel-everton-weekend-634208

”the likes of Norwich”

”three chances three goals” (simply not true)

I bet he can’t believe the press attention has been taken away from his overlapping fullbacks!

It takes a special kind of weird to be insulted by a manager clearly complimenting us.

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

”three chances three goals”

I especially enjoy how you've put this in quote marks when the article says he said 'three goals from three shots on target' which is completely true.

A hint churlish that and a bit like reading some of the remarks about the game on TWTD over the week-end.

Meanwhile DF sits on his sofa eating his cake and only really comments about his own team.

• Like 1

He seemed to have summed up it OK, BBC says we had 3 shots on target.

City pulled off a memorable 3-2 win over Pep Guardiola’s City last weekend, ending City’s 18-game unbeaten run.

And, speaking ahead of the trip to Merseyside, Wilder said: “It goes give a lot of confidence when the likes of Norwich beat Manchester City, and other results this season. It’s showed that teams can go anywhere and get a result, and I think we’re in decent nick.

“Every team we have played has been decent, with experienced and established players, managers and teams. We’ve gone toe to toe with the likes of Chelsea and Leicester which is really pleasing, and played our way; creating good chances against good sides.

“We’ve not been overwhelmed. We have to cut out the silly mistakes and sometimes you have days like Norwich did, where they have three shots on target and scored three times.

“City possibly had more of the play, more possession and better chances but fair play to Norwich, and I’m delighted for them. It’s a fantastic win for Daniel [Farke] and for the club. Who’d have expected that?

It just showed it can happen but a lot of things have to go for you, which didn’t happen for us against Southampton. I’m sure Norwich will admit they rode their luck and caught Man City cold. We’re all looking for one of those days when we play the top sides, and I’m sure we will.”

The "I'm sure Norwich will admit they rode their luck and caught Man City cold" wrangles a little bit.

It wasn't a lucky victory and Man City were only caught cold because they came up against an opposition who played in a way that no one ever expected them too. In fact, they played in a way I doubt anyone has against Man City. I know the third goal will rightly be blamed on Otamendi's howler, but how many teams would have had three players (Stieps, Emi and GOAT) remain up the field to press the centre backs against Man City? Probably none.

They were caught cold by our approach to the match, not because of international weekend or anything like that. Had we approached the game defensively then you can bet your bottom dollar Man City would not have been caught cold and would have turned in a great performance. Then we would have had to massively ride our luck to get anything out of the match. As it was, any luck we did have was fully earned.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it annoyed me, but it has caused me to believe that Wilder still has a chip on his shoulder where we are concerned.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

It takes a special kind of weird to be insulted by a manager clearly complimenting us.

I especially enjoy how you've put this in quote marks when the article says he said 'three goals from three shots on target' which is completely true.

100%.

OP, you're being offended for the sake of being offended. Everything in the article is essentially true.

Some people just NEED something to moan about don't they?

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

The "I'm sure Norwich will admit they rode their luck and caught Man City cold" wrangles a little bit.

It wasn't a lucky victory and Man City were only caught cold because they came up against an opposition who played in a way that no one ever expected them too. In fact, they played in a way I doubt anyone has against Man City. I know the third goal will rightly be blamed on Otamendi's howler, but how many teams would have had three players (Stieps, Emi and GOAT) remain up the field to press the centre backs against Man City? Probably none.

They were caught cold by our approach to the match, not because of international weekend or anything like that. Had we approached the game defensively then you can bet your bottom dollar Man City would not have been caught cold and would have turned in a great performance. Then we would have had to massively ride our luck to get anything out of the match. As it was, any luck we did have was fully earned.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it annoyed me, but it has caused me to believe that Wilder still has a chip on his shoulder where we are concerned.

This.

You all really can’t read the passive aggressive tone? He certainly has a chip about our results vs their results 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I suppose you could argue that we were lucky when Sterling hit the post.

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You all really can’t read the passive aggressive tone? He certainly has a chip about our results vs their results 

No, if I'd heard him talk in that tone I'd agree but just reading the words it seems OK.

5 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

I suppose you could argue that we were lucky when Sterling hit the post.

Like Chelsea were lucky when Godfrey hit the bar.......

I think that's pretty much spot on - we did ride our luck.  In the first half Sterling hit the post, Aguero headed over and they had 4 or 5 shots wide in the second half.  I wouldn't say we caught them cold; they had 70% possession and 25 shots.  We had 7 and scored with every shot we had on target with really good counter-attacking tactics.

I'm no fan of Wilder but to suggest he's still got it in for us is stretching it a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, Woodman said:

I think that's pretty much spot on - we did ride our luck.  In the first half Sterling hit the post, Aguero headed over and they had 4 or 5 shots wide in the second half.  I wouldn't say we caught them cold; they had 70% possession and 25 shots.  We had 7 and scored with every shot we had on target with really good counter-attacking tactics.

I'm no fan of Wilder but to suggest he's still got it in for us is stretching it a bit.

I think he's got it in for anyone who's doing better than him. Permanent chip on both shoulders.

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You seem to have a similar chip on your shoulder to be honest.

14 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

100%.

OP, you're being offended for the sake of being offended. Everything in the article is essentially true.

Some people just NEED something to moan about don't they?

We've had 'the nasty media aren't being complimentary enough about us' now it's moved on to 'other managers aren't being complimentary enough about us.'

Our fanbase seems to thrive on feeling hard done by.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think he's got it in for anyone who's doing better than him. Permanent chip on both shoulders.

I think he just hates losing.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

We've had 'the nasty media aren't being complimentary enough about us' now it's moved on to 'other managers aren't being complimentary enough about us.'

Exactly this. 

Everyone (especially pundits and journalists) is against us in the eyes of some.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

What’s caught the eye here is instead of not commenting or just providing a bland response he’s gone to some length to caveat the good points of our play. And it isn’t all ‘other managers’, it’s Wilder who we have had run ins in the past with.

• Like 1

Just now, WD40 said:

What’s caught the eye here is instead of not commenting or just providing a bland response he’s gone to some length to caveat the good points of our play. And it isn’t all ‘other managers, it’s Wilder who we have had run ins in the past with.

So why did you need to change his quote to make it say something different?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

So why did you need to change his quote to make it say something different?

Because I’m typing this on a mobile and it’s a faff to switch screens

edit: to clarify, that means I forgot the exact quote as I was typing in a separate screen

Edited by WD40
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Exactly this. 

Everyone (especially pundits and journalists) is against us in the eyes of some.

No, it's not that; it's the way pundits are so lazy. They neither know nor want to know anything about us.

I saw a pundit on one site comparing Pukki to Rickie Lambert because he's 'big & physical'  :classic_blink:

Now we've had a good result we're suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.

Years ago I commented how commentators have a narrative about how a match is going to go. When it doesn't happen they go quiet for a bit, then resume as if nothing had happened. It doesn't only apply to us, but it's definitely worse for clubs they know little or nothing about.

Punditry's not exactly a demanding job. A little research surely wouldn't be too much trouble.

I've no problem with most of it, but I don't think we really "rode our luck" and part of the reason our win has made such an impact is because it was so deserved over the 90 minutes, it wasn't them having us on the ropes for long periods but failing to score - pressure yes but that's a different thing.

Also I've no idea what he means by saying we "caught them cold".  It's not the start of the season, yes there has been an international break but given we had several first time starters in our lineup, I really don't see how that made a difference.  They had been playing well for the first 20 minutes, but it's not as if our goal came our of nowhere.

In the end it makes no difference, he's always looking out for what's the best for his team and that's fair enough, I wouldn't expect him to be generous towards us.

Also amusing is the bit where it talks about "City.... ending City's unbeaten run".  But at least they don't assume City means Man City !

41 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Any post about Wilder will always be a welcome excuse to repost these...

image.png.8312e4c6b1793cb3673437e8b63d321f.png

Reminds me of how Private Eye never miss a chance to print the photo of Andrew Neil in a baseball cap with Pamela Bordes (although apparently it’s not actually her).

321D1B9C-8C39-4F0E-B44D-1272D480886C.jpeg

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

No, it's not that; it's the way pundits are so lazy. They neither know nor want to know anything about us.

I saw a pundit on one site comparing Pukki to Rickie Lambert because he's 'big & physical'  :classic_blink:

Now we've had a good result we're suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.

Years ago I commented how commentators have a narrative about how a match is going to go. When it doesn't happen they go quiet for a bit, then resume as if nothing had happened. It doesn't only apply to us, but it's definitely worse for clubs they know little or nothing about.

Punditry's not exactly a demanding job. A little research surely wouldn't be too much trouble.

Some pundits are indeed lazy. I was reading Charlie Nicholas' predictions last week and there were a couple of things that he said that made me raise my eyebrow, and he clearly wouldn't have said them had he done some basic homework. One of them was regarding how Grant Hanley 'cannot get in the Scotland side' (he was injured, Charlie) and the other one I can't remember. But I digress.

It seems there are lots of our fans who seem to think that pundits are against us when they criticise us in any way, usually regarding our defence. We've conceded 12 goals in five games, which is the highest in th division, so those comments aren't exactly unjustified.

Another thing is that several people seem to think we should be given more airtime or column inches. The amount of national media attention we receive is proportional to our standing in the national game, but it seems that some people won't be happy unless we get the same level of attention as the bigger clubs despite having considerably fewer people interested in us on a national scale.

These quotes from Wilder are another example. Wilder hasn't said anything out of place, but a few people seem to only focussing on the negative things he has said, as opposed to focussing on the good. I could easily have started a thread entitled 'Wilder 👍' and pointed out that he said: "I’m delighted for them. It’s a fantastic win for Daniel and for the club."

• Like 1

I read it as something of a back handed compliment, tbh.

A bit like if the likes of  "lil old Norwich" can get a result like that, then so can we type of comment.

I think the main point of this lies in this quote:

"Meanwhile DF sits on his sofa eating his cake and only really comments about his own team."

Managers should resist commenting upon rival teams and their achievements as a general rule, imo .... apart from the usual pre-match bullshine about how tough a proposition they have in store.

Wilder does have a bit of a history of adversely commenting upon City and Farke, although I doubt that he has any massively felt long-standing grievance towards us and if he is to be given the benefit of the doubt it must be assumed that he was just speaking in terms of us being another newly promoted club.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I think the main point of this lies in this quote:

"Meanwhile DF sits on his sofa eating his cake and only really comments about his own team."

Managers should resist commenting upon rival teams and their achievements as a general rule, imo.

Wilder does have a bit of a history of adversely commenting upon City and Farke, although I doubt that he has any massively felt long-standing grievance towards us and if he is to be given the benefit of the doubt it must be assumed that he was just speaking in terms of us being another newly promoted club.

Generally speaking, I agree, managers should avoid speaking about other teams because the press will always try to get a story out of it by twisting the words. 

I have no idea what question was asked by the journalist to get this response from Wilder, but I'm guessing it was something along the lines of: "So Chris, you've got a tough game away at Everton this weekend, what are your chances?" His reply points out that underdogs can sometimes spring surprises in the Premier League and used our game as a good example. That's fair enough, for me.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It's the siege mentality that will take us to the title.