Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Are the League Cup's days numbered

I think it's a bit outdated now. I know the Premier League have introduced a winter break of sorts this season, but scrapping the League Cup would free up a bit of space to have a proper one. 

I can't see it happening though. The League Cup is run by the EFL and I can't see the EFL clubs voting to scrap it because it's a bit of a money-spinner for them if they draw a big team.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think it's a bit outdated now. I know the Premier League have introduced a winter break of sorts this season, but scrapping the League Cup would free up a bit of space to have a proper one. 

I can't see it happening though. The League Cup is run by the EFL and I can't see the EFL clubs voting to scrap it because it's a bit of a money-spinner for them if they draw a big team.

.... but if the Premier League pulled out, it would kill it at a stroke. Crowds are down and the bigger Clubs field reserves and youth prospects until the latter stages.

In some ways it would be a shame if it died- it gives some of the 'lesser' Premier League teams a shot at silverware.

However, the financial rewards of winning it don't make going for it and potentially risking relegation really worth it. Similarly, the financial might of the big clubs means they can win it while mostly playing their reserve teams so they don't take the same risk. I didn't realise how much the top 6 had dominated it over the last decade though- 8 of the last 10 winners have been from that top group of clubs.

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

We are the only one of Europe's top five leagues who will have a league cup from next season....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49747220

Eh ?
How are you (or anyone else, for that matter) differentiating the League Cup from the FA Cup ? Germany still has a knock-out competition called the "DFB-Pokal". The "DFL-Ligapokal" was dropped but it never had the saem history or number of clubs involved as the League Cup.

France has the "Coupe de France", which is also a knockout competition, so saying that we are the only one of Europe's top five leagues who will have a league cup from next season is a bit misleading IMO.

30 minutes ago, K Lo said:

Eh ?
How are you (or anyone else, for that matter) differentiating the League Cup from the FA Cup ? Germany still has a knock-out competition called the "DFB-Pokal". The "DFL-Ligapokal" was dropped but it never had the saem history or number of clubs involved as the League Cup.

France has the "Coupe de France", which is also a knockout competition, so saying that we are the only one of Europe's top five leagues who will have a league cup from next season is a bit misleading IMO.

The League Cup and the FA Cu are entirely different, the FA Cup is open to all football clubs affiliated to the FA, the League Cup is only open to clubs in The Premiership, Championship, League 1 and League 2. The Coupe De France is the French equivalent of the FA Cup in that non league clubs are allowed to enter it. I have not researched it but I suspect that most European leagues only have one cup competition (such as the DFB-Pokal)...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Lo said:

Eh ?

Eh?

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Eh?

I don't understand what it is that you don't understand.
As I said, Germany & France still have knock-out competitions.

2 minutes ago, K Lo said:

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The League Cup and the FA Cu are entirely different, the FA Cup is open to all football clubs affiliated to the FA, the League Cup is only open to clubs in The Premiership, Championship, League 1 and League 2. The Coupe De France is the French equivalent of the FA Cup in that non league clubs are allowed to enter it. I have not researched it but I suspect that most European leagues only have one cup competition (such as the DFB-Pokal)...........

Clear now?

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

Eh? I think you've missed the point entirely.

England has the FA Cup, Germany has the Pokal, France has the Coupe de France, Spain has the Copa del Rey and Italy has the Coppa Italia.

England also has the League Cup. From next season, we will be the only one of Europe's top five leagues that will have an additional cup (League Cup) in addition to the main one.

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

The league cups are a different competition to the main cup competition.

The Sun got hold of it and seem to be asking the same question..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9955234/french-league-cup-scrapped-paris-saint-germain-psg/

"And there are fears the latest development in France could signal the end of the 59-year-old League Cup competition in England.

The decision to kill off the Coupe de la Ligue, leaves England as the last of the Big Five European nations to have two domestic knock-out competitions.

The European Clubs Association, which is pushing the Champions League changes that were temporarily shelved last week, has cited the issue of Prem clubs playing up to 12 games more per season than Bundesliga sides.

But the French decision, based on “commercial reasons” will put further pressure from Europe for English football to consider the future of the competition currently known as the Carabao Cup."

4 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Clear now?

Kind of.

All clubs that play in the FA Cup are still in football leagues of one kind or the other:
"The competition is open to any eligible club down to Level 10 of the English football league system"

So it IS a league cup !

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

Kind of.

All clubs that play in the FA Cup are still in football leagues of one kind or the other:
"The competition is open to any eligible club down to Level 10 of the English football league system"

So it IS a league cup !

No, it isn't. A League Cup is restricted only to clubs from a particular league (or leagues). 

54 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

No, it isn't. A League Cup is restricted only to clubs from a particular league (or leagues). 

So is the FA Cup.
League Cup is top 4 leagues.
FA Cup is top 10 leagues.

German "DFL-Ligapokal" was top five teams of the previous Bundesliga season and the winners of the DFB-Pokal, so not the same as our League Cup. 
German "DFB-Pokal" is Bundesliga 1 & 2, top-4 from 3. Liga and then 21 qualifiers from lower leagues.

Edited by K Lo

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Actually they all play in the world.

So it IS a World Cup🏆🙃

The clubs involved are not members of FIFA or any other global organisation. They are all members of an English domestic football league, either Premier, EFL or National League.

2 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

No, the FA Cup is not open to all football clubs affiliated to the FA, only the top 10-tier leagues.
You may be thinking of the FA Vase but that excludes the teams in the top 8-tier leagues.

8 hours ago, K Lo said:

The OP said nothing about those leagues no longer having knockout competitions.

6 hours ago, K Lo said:

No, the FA Cup is not open to all football clubs affiliated to the FA, only the top 10-tier leagues.
You may be thinking of the FA Vase but that excludes the teams in the top 8-tier leagues.

Top 10 levels of the pyramid not leagues. There are lots of leagues in each of the lower levels. 

7 hours ago, K Lo said:

So is the FA Cup.
League Cup is top 4 leagues.
FA Cup is top 10 leagues.

K-Lo clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. 

The FA Cup is open to teams from the top 10 levels of the English football pyramid, not the top 10 leagues.

There are 14 leagues at level 9 in the pyramid alone, and looking at about twice that number at level 10. 

The Eastern Counties Premier Division is an example of a Level 9 league (Norwich United are here) The Eastern Counties Division One North and Division One South are the two level 10 leagues which feed into that league (Mulbarton Wanderers are here). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I love the Pinkun… never imagined this morning I'd end up knowing which clubs are eligible to participate in the FA Cup as opposed to the League Cup, sorry, Caribou Cup or should that be "competition formerly known as the League Cup...."

Perhaps the misunderstanding is due to the different names given to the league cup since it was actually called the league cup. There's a difference between THE League Cup and a cup competition involving clubs who play in leagues.

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Perhaps the misunderstanding is due to the different names given to the league cup since it was actually called the league cup. There's a difference between THE League Cup and a cup competition involving clubs who play in leagues.

I agree and my point was, and still is, that the other countries still have "a" league cup i.e. a knock-out competition of clubs that play in leagues but never seemed to have something that directly compared to our League Cup, so the statement from the BBC was, IMO, misleading.

16 hours ago, K Lo said:

Kind of.

So it IS a league cup !

15 hours ago, K Lo said:

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

K-Lo clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. 

The FA Cup is open to teams from the top 10 levels of the English football pyramid, not the top 10 leagues.

There are 14 leagues at level 9 in the pyramid alone, and looking at about twice that number at level 10. 

The Eastern Counties Premier Division is an example of a Level 9 league (Norwich United are here) The Eastern Counties Division One North and Division One South are the two level 10 leagues which feed into that league (Mulbarton Wanderers are here). 

I clearly do.
See my posts quoted above.

I had already stated:
"Level 10 of the English football league system"
and
"only the top 10-tier leagues",
where "tier" means: "each in a series of rows or levels of a structure placed one above the other"