Sign in to follow this  
Hugh Jarse

400K for leaving!

400 BIG ONES for leaving, surely having that in your contract only

encourages you to have the mind set to want away almost as soon as you

arrive, or am I being stupid? from the clubs point of view it would

have been better to write in a 400k bonus for staying two years.

In Ashton''s Contract it said he would get 10% of any profit from the future sale of him but yeah i know what you mean. I''m fed up with the whole situation! I used to like Ashton but it seems like all he thinks about is the money. Where are the Paolo Maldini''s of the game, the type to stay at the club you love for all of your career. He has and he''s one of the best defenders in the world!

He is the one that has made the profit for the club so why shouldn''t he get some of the cash.

You are saying all he cares about is the money. Thats not really the case is it? He wants to play for a ''''massive club'''' at the highest level. Anyway, even if it was about money, who''s to blame him. Would you turn down a pay rise for moving employers. I think not!!!!

I think its time people realised that Norwich City will never hold on to a quality player, especially one with his potential.

Stop crying about it, move on, Ashton''s gone!!!!!

Its only a reward incentive wriiten into his contract - it encourages him to perform well and in doing so he earns the club a better transfer fee and a bonus for himself too - what is it - under 10 weeks wages and he waived a further £150k that others would have insisted on.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

He should be paying us for crying out loud. 400K could get us another player. Getting paid for leaving a club is ridiculous.

[/quote]

Agreed ridiculous to think money was all he worried about good riddance.

Apperenlty he waived money into this deal, where as I thought he gained a load of money. Bizarre... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/4648134.stm

what an opportunity missed. we could have given ashton a cut price Andy Hughes to keep his morale up and to carry his golf clubs. damn

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]what an opportunity missed. we could have given ashton a cut price Andy Hughes to keep his morale up and to carry his golf clubs. damn[/quote]Genius!Seriously though, the chance of getting a cut of the profit is probably the single thing that kept Ashton''s mouth shut long enough for City to negotiate the highest price possible. How many times have we seen want-away players go for significantly less than their market value??

Interesting comment Ark.  And as a gesture Ashton could have donated some of his windfall to a local charity as a goodwill gesture. I hope he gets a large tax bill.

Oh dear people, I wouldn''t get too upset about it.  This sort of pay out happens all the time, just about every player who does not request a transfer gets paid a fee by their former club once he is sold.  Ashton just got himself a higher cut but if i recall this time last year everyone said the board should do whatever it takes to sign him, so they did.

As this a fairly common practice in football, the only reason I can see for the club making an issue out of this is because they want to detract from the REASON that Ashton wanted to leave.  That reason being we have no hope of playing in the PL for at least a season and half and he was fed up with chaisng long balls.

As for players being loyal like Maldini, well it''s easy to be loyal to a club that are paying you £50k a week and you are winning every trophy there is to win.  Do you really think he would have stayed with Milan if they were playing in Serie B?  Don''t think so.

Transfers and players fees are all part of football.  This is nothing exceptional just standard.

not giving him the 10% clause would only have seen him want more wages, it was a gamble on the 10% being less than the extra he would have cost us in wages before leaving, although in just a year i doubt it saved us 250k (400k-150k), or 5k (ish) a week. but then again i suppose you never know, god only knows what he wanted in wages.

No doubt he will also get a signing on fee from WHU, and obviously

another signing off fee when he leaves WHU next year for a big club,

which will entail yet another signing on fee, Boy I wish I was a

footballer!

" why did the club agree to it in the first place? "

So we could sign him.

Imagine the bleating on here if it had been found out that we had refused a cut of future profits and so caused him to join another club.