Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
lake district canary

The genie is out of the bottle - in more ways than one

Recommended Posts

After Saturday, the genie is now out of the bottle as far as opponents are concerned, no-one will underestimate us now, no-one will turn up and think we are easy meat....they will all recognise they have to seriously try and find a way of stopping us, not just turn up and try and dominate because they think they can.

However, the genie is also out if the bottle for us too - the players and the fans know now that farkeball is up to the job at the very, very highest level - and that belief can propel us forwards as the season progresses.

Saturday changes everything imo and every game will be different from here on in because of the way we played and the result. Pundits will see us differently, opposition fans will see us differently and opposition clubs will be much more wary of us - and we of course have cemented that belief in ourselves in the knowledge we can play well and with confidence every week, no matter who it is against.

I suggested that anything is possible this season and it still is, but wow, have we arrived in the PL in style! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree LDC. There is one big 'but" though.....how do teams stop us when we play like that? This is not me being arrogant. It's what we have seen in the last 12 months. It's not a one off thing. We will lose games but this team has serious ability, happily coupled with desire and sheer teamwork. That combination is hard to play against. I was confident of a good season before the first game. I was worried by our depth of injuries. But I was always confident in this manager and this group of players. Such a season to look forward to. Hell...how can you even predict the result or score in any game!!!

OTBC  (NMTD) ....

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

After Saturday, the genie is now out of the bottle as far as opponents are concerned, no-one will underestimate us now, no-one will turn up and think we are easy meat....they will all recognise they have to seriously try and find a way of stopping us, not just turn up and try and dominate because they think they can.

However, the genie is also out if the bottle for us too - the players and the fans know now that farkeball is up to the job at the very, very highest level - and that belief can propel us forwards as the season progresses.

Saturday changes everything imo and every game will be different from here on in because of the way we played and the result. Pundits will see us differently, opposition fans will see us differently and opposition clubs will be much more wary of us - and we of course have cemented that belief in ourselves in the knowledge we can play well and with confidence every week, no matter who it is against.

I suggested that anything is possible this season and it still is, but wow, have we arrived in the PL in style! 

So what did you think of the tactics that Farke employed?

How will this change of tactics translate to others games we are yet to play? It obviously worked against Man City but will it work versus Burnley and Palace?

A little bit of logical reasoning please Lakey, not just gushing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have to get over the Man City result and just concentrate on moving forward now.

This Premier League lark is completely baffling to me at the moment, though. Here's a couple of examples... Firstly, we absolutely play Newcastle off the park and they put in an inept performance. But then later the same day, I watch Palace play and they were even worse than Newcastle.

The very next week, Palace beat Man Utd and Newcastle somehow beat Tottenham???!!!

We then put in probably the worst performance I've seen from us under Farke at West Ham. Have an international break (our favourite time) and come back to beat the Champions of the Premier League.

It's completely bizarre and I don't think anyone can safely predict what will happen next!

I don't think any team can take another for granted. If  opposing managers haven't done their homework on us thus far then they should not be Premier League managers. To suggest that they don't think we're dangerous or have good players is a bit daft. They will be more than aware of this. That's their job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will obviously need to change tactics for Saturday because our tactic against Man City was to let them have possession and force them into wide areas rather than let them play through the middle. This is a good tactic v Man City because they don't have big players up front and goals from crosses are not their strength. They like to play through you and we stopped them from doing so. They had 32 crosses against us. Their average is 13.5 per game. 

Burnley on the other hand will have two strong strikers up top (on of whom is in great form) and if we let them get lots crosses in from wide areas they are going to cause us problems. I would expect us to have a lot more of the ball on Saturday and we need to control possession and try and dictate the tempo. I think we can but it will be a physical test which is probably more like West Ham than Man City. We got a bit roughed up at West Ham but I think Mclean and Tettey are a more physical combination in the middle so should be better placed to deal with that. 

Whatever tactics we play I think having Tettey holding in front of the back 4 just helps give us more solidity and makes us less easy to play through (that stat about Trybull, Todd and Mo being the most dribbled past players was telling) but he will have to avoid giving away cheap free kicks in our half against Burnley as they will pump it into the box at any opportunity.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We will obviously need to change tactics for Saturday because our tactic against Man City was to let them have possession and force them into wide areas rather than let them play through the middle. This is a good tactic v Man City because they don't have big players up front and goals from crosses are not their strength. They like to play through you and we stopped them from doing so. They had 32 crosses against us. Their average is 13.5 per game. 

Burnley on the other hand will have two strong strikers up top (on of whom is in great form) and if we let them get lots crosses in from wide areas they are going to cause us problems. I would expect us to have a lot more of the ball on Saturday and we need to control possession and try and dictate the tempo. I think we can but it will be a physical test which is probably more like West Ham than Man City. We got a bit roughed up at West Ham but I think Mclean and Tettey are a more physical combination in the middle so should be better placed to deal with that. 

Whatever tactics we play I think having Tettey holding in front of the back 4 just helps give us more solidity and makes us less easy to play through (that stat about Trybull, Todd and Mo being the most dribbled past players was telling) but he will have to avoid giving away cheap free kicks in our half against Burnley as they will pump it into the box at any opportunity.

Agreed - However, I also think we also became bit more savvy defensively - the fullbacks didn't bomb on so much and then (as usually happens) eventually get caught out of position on a fast break. I would suspect we'll see more of this circumspection in attack in the majority of our PL games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Number9 said:

So what did you think of the tactics that Farke employed?

How will this change of tactics translate to others games we are yet to play? It obviously worked against Man City but will it work versus Burnley and Palace?

A little bit of logical reasoning please Lakey, not just gushing. 

Ok. It wasn't meant to be gushing, I just meant that the season will be different from here on in - much like it was last season once we got going.  So you don't need logic - you just have to look at what happened last season - we found a way to cope with nearly every situation and type of team, we developed a style that got us results against all comers.

Tactics will vary a little bit from game to game, but not drastically - the way we play will often be dictated by how the opposition set up against us. If they sit back, we will be able to dominate more and keep possession, if they press us, it plays into our hands anyway, if they just try to dominate us with no plan we will just play around them like against Newcastle.

The only proviso is that we have to avoid making too many mistakes on the ball, because we will be punished if we do, like against Chelsea. The West Ham game changed partly because of the Zimmermann incident and there will always be things that happen that are beyond your control. On the whole though - and Saturday proved it - we have it within us to do well this season - and the rest of the division can see that.....not that they will be able to stop us if we play at our best, because at our best, we are as good as any of them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm seriously concerned that teams like Burnley will try to kick us off the park.

I was hoping there might be better reffing in the PL (especially with VAR) but so far that hasn't been forthcoming - for other teams as well.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ron obvious said:

I'm seriously concerned that teams like Burnley will try to kick us off the park.

I was hoping there might be better reffing in the PL (especially with VAR) but so far that hasn't been forthcoming - for other teams as well.

 

 

It's going to be very physical I'm convinced of that. Dyche is a seasoned manager too and has set up teams against the best in the league and got results. He will see Saturday as a real chance of 3 points. But...how will they stop our incisive play if we are on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I think we have to get over the Man City result and just concentrate on moving forward now.

This Premier League lark is completely baffling to me at the moment, though. Here's a couple of examples... Firstly, we absolutely play Newcastle off the park and they put in an inept performance. But then later the same day, I watch Palace play and they were even worse than Newcastle.

The very next week, Palace beat Man Utd and Newcastle somehow beat Tottenham???!!!

We then put in probably the worst performance I've seen from us under Farke at West Ham. Have an international break (our favourite time) and come back to beat the Champions of the Premier League.

It's completely bizarre and I don't think anyone can safely predict what will happen next!

I don't think any team can take another for granted. If  opposing managers haven't done their homework on us thus far then they should not be Premier League managers. To suggest that they don't think we're dangerous or have good players is a bit daft. They will be more than aware of this. That's their job.

Agreed

West Ham 0 Man City 5

West Ham 2 Norwich 0

Norwich 3 Man City 2

All within a month (ish) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It's going to be very physical I'm convinced of that. Dyche is a seasoned manager too and has set up teams against the best in the league and got results. He will see Saturday as a real chance of 3 points. But...how will they stop our incisive play if we are on it?

They're going to try to kick us out of it. God forbid we lose Pukki to an agricultural tackle. Burnley aren't great but they are streetwise, something we're going to have to learn, if we're going to survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be starting the Burnley game with Hanley alongside Godfrey and Amadou plus Tettey in front of them. 

We can still play our way just sometimes deeper or more physically. 

Sometimes you need to earn the right. Build into a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the O/P.

 

Nothing changes as a result of Saturday. imo. WE set our marker last season and the PL knew what to expect.

Besides, it's such a "dog eat dog" league, with every point vital, that none of the opposition will allow themselves the luxury of underestimating any team they meet.

Guardiola said as much about us and fortress Carrow Road before that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ramrod said:

I would be starting the Burnley game with Hanley alongside Godfrey and Amadou plus Tettey in front of them. 

We can still play our way just sometimes deeper or more physically. 

Sometimes you need to earn the right. Build into a game. 

Agree this would be the sensible thing to do, but harsh on McLean though assuming Buendia, Cantwell and Stiepermann are providing the service to Pukki. I just don't think Hanley is up to speed yet

I think City can only play one way though so we will have to accept that more often than not we will get stifled or out muscled against most teams at this level. Not sure if Drinkwater is available or not so would be a plus for us if he isn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ramrod said:

I would be starting the Burnley game with Hanley alongside Godfrey and Amadou plus Tettey in front of them. 

We can still play our way just sometimes deeper or more physically. 

Sometimes you need to earn the right. Build into a game. 

I would bet that we'll start with the same 11 as we did against Man City

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burnley will be a totally different challenge to Man C so I can’t wait to see how we handle it.

 

i view Burnley as taking a classic Champ side approach to surviving in the Prem, focusing on a very organised defence while maximising their chances from crosses and set pieces, and accepting they cannot match the more established Prem sides man for man.

 

Basically a similar approach to Rotherham but with much better finishers. Rotherham were surprisingly good last season but let down by embarrassingly bad finishing.

 

plus I think Prem sides are adept at tactical fouls to prevent quick breaks and disrupt the flow of the game.

 

we all know we have a weakness against set pieces so I’m sure a Farke will make sure no complacency creeps in after Saturday.

 

Roll on Saturday is all I can say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I would bet that we'll start with the same 11 as we did against Man City

Hopefully Cantwell and Stiepermann's injuries aren't serious and just cramp/tiredness.  Cantwell went down holding his groin in that final play on Saturday before collapsing on the final whistle (as seen in 'that' video).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Hopefully Cantwell and Stiepermann's injuries aren't serious and just cramp/tiredness.  Cantwell went down holding his groin in that final play on Saturday before collapsing on the final whistle (as seen in 'that' video).

Oh yeah, I think another player was down with cramp too and a Man City player helped him. Was up the other end from me so I couldn't quite see who it was.

Yes, that bit of Todd just collapsing at the final whistle was pretty much what I wanted to do too! I didn't exert anywhere near as much energy as him, although it certainly felt like it at times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We played our usual attacking formation (albeit with more defence minded full backs) against the champions of the PL. Can’t see us changing to a back 3 (back 5 when without the ball) against Burnley.

If Saturday and the season so far has shown anything, it’s that we will play our brand of football against anyone, and big compliments to Farke for doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

We played our usual attacking formation (albeit with more defence minded full backs) against the champions of the PL. Can’t see us changing to a back 3 (back 5 when without the ball) against Burnley.

If Saturday and the season so far has shown anything, it’s that we will play our brand of football against anyone, and big compliments to Farke for doing so.

Yep. We will play our game and other teams will have to work out how to stop us ... It's a great strategy 

Edited by sonyc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Oh yeah, I think another player was down with cramp too and a Man City player helped him. Was up the other end from me so I couldn't quite see who it was.

Yes, that bit of Todd just collapsing at the final whistle was pretty much what I wanted to do too! I didn't exert anywhere near as much energy as him, although it certainly felt like it at times!

I think that was McLean or Lewis, but I think that was more of a time-wasting tactic.  Todd's looked more like a possible groin strain given the way he fell and grabbed it.  Hopefully just sheer tiredness and they'll all be fine for Burnley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I think that was McLean or Lewis, but I think that was more of a time-wasting tactic.  Todd's looked more like a possible groin strain given the way he fell and grabbed it.  Hopefully just sheer tiredness and they'll all be fine for Burnley.

Fingers crossed! Yeah, know what you mean. Todd sort of got shoved off the pitch when holding the ball in the corner and ended up...errrrmmm...holding his own balls in the corner!

Edited by BobLoz3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:
53 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I think that was McLean or Lewis, but I think that was more of a time-wasting tactic.  Todd's looked more like a possible groin strain given the way he fell and grabbed it.  Hopefully just sheer tiredness and they'll all be fine for Burnley.

Fingers crossed! Yeah, know what you mean. Todd sort of got shoved off the pitch when holding the ball in the corner and ended up...errrrmmm...holding his own balls in the corner!

Yeah, pretty much this. Less a groin strain than a whack in the unmentionables from the corner flag post as he straddled it and as it bounced back up. Ouch!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×