Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Buendia's Transfer fee

Widely quoted as £1.5M but shouldn't it include the add on we had to pay (was quoted in Spain as another £5M) at promotion?

Even if it was £6.5M he's still 5ft 7 of football heaven and a bargain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Webber said the deal was always ...................... but structured in a way as being paid over long term until we got promoted which triggered it all at once. 

much as every other transfer is

not like buying something off Amazon as many of the not too bright imagine, and over excite themselves about

17 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Webber said the deal was always circa 5m but structured in a way as being paid over long term until we got promoted which triggered it all at once. 

That doesn’t square with the accounts, which indicated that the basic fee was about 1.5m and the extra several million were dependent on factors such as promotion rather than being definitely owed sooner or later.

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That doesn’t square with the accounts, which indicated that the basic fee was about 1.5m and the extra several million were dependent on factors such as promotion rather than being definitely owed sooner or later.

Bargain no matter which way you cut it. Wouldn't have looked out of place in the Man City team at the weekend, except he likes to win! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Bargain no matter which way you cut it. Wouldn't have looked out of place in the Man City team at the weekend, except he likes to win! 

Without a doubt. And not just him in the first-team squad. McLean was peanuts, and so comparitively was Byram at well under a million. And some of the youngsters we signed in the summer (Adshead, Mair?) may well prove to be absolute steals, even taking into account any add-ons that get eventually triggered.

11 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Buendia is rapidly becoming the most influential player we have and could potentially be our first world class player in years to come IMO.

Spot on JC. 

In fact I feel we could probably replace every member of our team (not at the same time and poss not including Pukki) will little effect  to our play, except EB such is his influence on the type of game we play.

I enjoyed watching Madison in his first team season but this chap is on a whole new level.

You could see a scenario that if we are still going well come January a major team here or abroad will come sniffing. Enjoy his game whilst he is still here I say.

All I hope is that, regardless of when Webber disappears, we still look at this pragmatic approach and recruit someone of a similar calibre. Who knows players, understands the overseas markets, works like crazy etc. So that we're still churning out good players after purchasing them for peanuts along with developing youth. If that carries on, I would say we have a great chance of not only staying in this league but moving up in it year on year. Mind you, I can't imagine what they could achieve with a bit more budget and that would have to come from player sales, admittedly. Right now you wouldn't want to sell any of the star performers and we may not have to!

It is going to be hard to replace him, Farke, the coaching staff etc. should the unimaginable happen. I hope they stay for some time, personally, and see where they can take this great club of ours.

As an aside I have a theory that Man City were the first side this season to ignore Buendia as an individual threat. Probably on the basis that they are too good to worry about the opposition , which by and large they are. 

Even Liverpool were wary of him. I noticed at Anfield, and West Ham he had very little space, was closed down quickly and as a result became frustrated. The same at home. Burnley will be aware of him. 

Lets hope that he still isn't on the Argentinian radar - an international break involving travelling back to South America wouldn't be great news for us. 

31 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

All I hope is that, regardless of when Webber disappears, we still look at this pragmatic approach and recruit someone of a similar calibre. Who knows players, understands the overseas markets, works like crazy etc. So that we're still churning out good players after purchasing them for peanuts along with developing youth. If that carries on, I would say we have a great chance of not only staying in this league but moving up in it year on year. Mind you, I can't imagine what they could achieve with a bit more budget and that would have to come from player sales, admittedly. Right now you wouldn't want to sell any of the star performers and we may not have to!

It is going to be hard to replace him, Farke, the coaching staff etc. should the unimaginable happen. I hope they stay for some time, personally, and see where they can take this great club of ours.

Yes. But, and this is a serious point, if we Brexit that will limit our ability to pick up these undiscovered gems. I am not sure but I suspect that if we had already left the EU then we would not have been able to get a work permit for Buendia. Not a full international, and only playing in the Spanish second tier.

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes. But, and this is a serious point, if we Brexit that will limit our ability to pick up these undiscovered gems. I am not sure but I suspect that if we had already left the EU then we would not have been able to get a work permit for Buendia. Not a full international, and only playing in the Spanish second tier.

Wow. Yes, I hadn't really thought about all that. I don't like talking about the B word and have done my best to avoid it all, in all honesty.

On my original point... PinkUn now reporting that there are rumours of Webber sigining a new contract this week so, as much as they don't mean everything, that is certainly something!

Edited by BobLoz3

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It depends what the rules will be, assuming Brexit actually happens. They could be tough, which would mean that all non-British players would need a work permit in the same way non-EU players do now, there could be a more 'lenient' work permit system or they could be more generous with work permits scrapped but just a restriction on the number of non-British players.

21 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Wow. Yes, I hadn't really thought about all that. I don't like talking about the B word and have done my best to avoid it all, in all honesty.

On my original point... PinkUn now reporting that there are rumours of Webber sigining a new contract this week so, as much as they don't mean everything, that is certainly something!

Zimmermann was playing in the German 4th tier and thinking seriously of retiring! I think we might have struggled to justify a work permit for him. As Wacky says, it all depends on how loose or strict a post-Brexit regime would be, but the big clubs able to sign multi-capped internationals would probably find it easier to meet the criteria than us, with our more obscure targets.

23 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Zimmermann was playing in the German 4th tier and thinking seriously of retiring! I think we might have struggled to justify a work permit for him. As Wacky says, it all depends on how loose or strict a post-Brexit regime would be, but the big clubs able to sign multi-capped internationals would probably find it easier to meet the criteria than us, with our more obscure targets.

What an interesting point. So what criteria is used now for Non EU national professional footballers to be given a WP? Ability ? Age? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

35 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

What an interesting point. So what criteria is used now for Non EU national professional footballers to be given a WP? Ability ? Age? 

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

The requirements

The FA will grant endorsement for a work permit to elite football players who are internationally established at the highest level.  In order to qualify for this, the person must:

• Make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK and must base themselves in the UK;
  • Be from outside the EEA and Switzerland.

When assessing an application for automatic endorsement, the FA will apply the following criteria in deciding whether a player is ‘elite’ and ‘internationally established at the highest level’ and whether they are likely to make a significant contribution to the development of football in the UK:

• The applicant must be joining a club in the Premier League or Football League;
  • The applicant must have participated in a minimum set percentage of their home country’s senior competitive international matches during the two years (or one year if under 21) preceding the date of application. The percentage is based upon the following:
  • International Team Ranked 1-10, must have appeared in 30% of matches;
  • International Team Ranked 11-20, must have appeared in 45% of matches;
  • International Team Ranked 21-30, must have appeared in 60% of matches; and
  • International Team Tanked 31-50, must have appeared in 75% of matches.

The Rankings above are based on the official FIFA World Rankings.

If a player fails to meet the above FA requirements for automatic endorsement, the football club can appeal under the FA appeals process to the Exceptions Panel.  The criteria for the Exceptions Panel is split into ‘Objective Criteria’ and ‘Subjective Criteria’.

• Thanks 1

Employment rules for EU citizens within the EU are unlikely to change, this means it will be easier for players to transfer between leagues in the EU than come to leagues in the UK.

Obviously this applies to everyone (not just footballers) I have a cousin who is currently working in Germany, he's been told that he'll find it difficult to move jobs as companies will be more likely to employ EU citizens. If he wants to change jobs there will be more 'red tape' to sort out and that will deter companies as they can employ EU citizens without the hassle.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

The requirements

The FA will grant endorsement for a work permit to elite football players who are internationally established at the highest level.  In order to qualify for this, the person must:

• Make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK and must base themselves in the UK;
  • Be from outside the EEA and Switzerland.

When assessing an application for automatic endorsement, the FA will apply the following criteria in deciding whether a player is ‘elite’ and ‘internationally established at the highest level’ and whether they are likely to make a significant contribution to the development of football in the UK:

• The applicant must be joining a club in the Premier League or Football League;
  • The applicant must have participated in a minimum set percentage of their home country’s senior competitive international matches during the two years (or one year if under 21) preceding the date of application. The percentage is based upon the following:
  • International Team Ranked 1-10, must have appeared in 30% of matches;
  • International Team Ranked 11-20, must have appeared in 45% of matches;
  • International Team Ranked 21-30, must have appeared in 60% of matches; and
  • International Team Tanked 31-50, must have appeared in 75% of matches.

The Rankings above are based on the official FIFA World Rankings.

If a player fails to meet the above FA requirements for automatic endorsement, the football club can appeal under the FA appeals process to the Exceptions Panel.  The criteria for the Exceptions Panel is split into ‘Objective Criteria’ and ‘Subjective Criteria’.

Thanks. If Brexit happens and those tough criteria remain then most if not all of the kind of overseas player we have signed would be out of bounds to us.

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Thanks. If Brexit happens and those tough criteria remain then most if not all of the kind of overseas player we have signed would be out of bounds to us.

Jools? 

He's worth a lot more than that in today's market. Got to be comfortably over £30m already.

17 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

He’s about to sign a new 3 year contract.

9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

He’s about to sign a new 3 year contract.

Yeah scroll up a bit 😉

On 16/09/2019 at 21:02, Jersey Canary said:

Buendia is rapidly becoming the most influential player we have and could potentially be our first world class player in years to come IMO.

On this point.... I think he was one of if not THE most influential player last season too. Remember when he was out for three games? We certainly looked as though we were lacking in creativity and didn't win a single game in that run. Also, there was that stat about us not winning when he didn't start.

Yep, a fully firing Buendia is so integral to our side. He's improving massively game by game and I can't wait to see this progression unfold this season.

^That incredible strength also being a key weakness... ie if nullified as per West Ham we don’t seem to have a backup player or plan. Hope to be proven wrong as DF grows in his role

47 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

^That incredible strength also being a key weakness... ie if nullified as per West Ham we don’t seem to have a backup player or plan. Hope to be proven wrong as DF grows in his role

Yes, that is an issue. Burnley will be such a different prospect, akin to West Ham, as they are a very physical side too and will likely rough our players up. It will really depend on how our players react to that.

It's also another reason I think we'll see the same side as against Man City. Tettey and McLean offering a bit more ballast in the midfield.

A shame we don't have Hernandez available really. He's ideal for these kinds of games. Not only is he quick and tricky but he's very strong and tracks back really well. A player like him wouldn't be bullied by the likes of Burnley and would also offer another outlet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

A shame we don't have Hernandez available really. He's ideal for these kinds of games. Not only is he quick and tricky but he's very strong and tracks back really well. A player like him wouldn't be bullied by the likes of Burnley and would also offer another outlet.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Onel unleashed on the Prem, just when they think they've worked us out, we bring in natural width with raw pace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

I'm also looking forward to seeing Onel unleashed on the Prem, just when they think they've worked us out, we bring in natural width with raw pace.

Plus an unwavering love of Argos.

If only their wardrobes were as solid as Onel...

18 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A very rough look now, but  based on the current criteria of the overseas players we have signed in the Farke era, only Pukki and probably Drmic would have been available to us.

Vrancic, Zimmermann, Franke, Trybull, Stiepermann, Hernandez, Srbeny, Buendia, Leitner and Heise would all have been out of bounds to us, and also Amadou and Fahrmann this season if the rules apply, as I imagine they do, to loan deals.

---

Just to add, this is free-thinking on my part but if the UK crashes out of the EU with a No-Deal Brexit on October 31, which is a distinctly possible (some would say probable) outcome then logic would dictate that those tough, very limiting (certainly as far as we are concerned)  FA criteria would come into play straight away.

In other words, before the January transfer window! The FA might decide to suspend the criteria until the end of the season, of course. But even so in the longer run Brexit, if it happens, does seem to pose a real problem for us, given the sustainable model built on spotting young talent from overseas.

PS. That is on the assumption - which seems logical but may be wrong - that the FA rules, making it very hard to buy non-EU players, are based on our membership of the EU, and that as soon as we leave the EU (if we do) then the tough rules would apply to EU players as well.

Edited by PurpleCanary