Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Improvement after international breaks

Interesting that on social media, there are a few references to the fact that Man City's performances sometimes dip a bit after international breaks. Presumably thy lose a lot of players although I would point out that Argentina gave Aguero the week off and also released Ottamendi early so he could come back and be ready to play against us (cheers boys).

Anyway it just got me thinking because I think that with us there has, under Farke, been a very clear pattern of us coming back after international breaks with much improved performances and I think it is indicative of what a good coach Farke must be on the training ground because when he gets a prolonged period of time to work with the players. Perhaps the most notable example was last season where we turned it around after a defensively iffy start but we always seem to see an improvement and it happened again this week even though we are now ourselves losing an increasing number of players with our three new U21 internationals.

I do think that Farke's hand was perhaps forced in terms of the selections at the weekend which may have inadvertently done us a favour. I'm not sure he would have changed our style and set up quite so drastically were it not for the injuries. Byram and Tettey coming in I think gave us a little more defensive stability with both being more naturally defensive players than those they replaced. I think against the bigger sides we need to have Tettey or Amadou as a holding midfielder not Trybull. If Hanley had been fit it would have been interesting to see if he got the nod at CB ahead of Amadou because that probably would not have worked out half as well given the latter's greater mobility. Things kind of fell into place for us in that respect and out of adversity we were able to prosper. However, coupled with that is was evident that the team had been incredibly well drilled and were playing without some of the defensive naivity that we have seen in some of the earlier games. Buendia and Stiepermann were working hard and tracking back. In short, Farke and the players had learnt from those previous games as that for me was as encouraging as anything else we saw on Saturday.  Despite what some are saying we definitely DID change how we played but we changed it for a much more savvy, streetwise style. 

I have also noted in the last few games an improvement in our defending of set pieces which at the start of the season was a continuing worry - long may that hopefully continue as we are sure to be tested in that area next weekend at Burnley!

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Interesting that on social media, there are a few references to the fact that Man City's performances sometimes dip a bit after international breaks. Presumably thy lose a lot of players although I would point out that Argentina gave Aguero the week off and also released Ottamendi early so he could come back and be ready to play against us (cheers boys).

Anyway it just got me thinking because I think that with us there has, under Farke, been a very clear pattern of us coming back after international breaks with much improved performances and I think it is indicative of what a good coach Farke must be on the training ground because when he gets a prolonged period of time to work with the players. Perhaps the most notable example was last season where we turned it around after a defensively iffy start but we always seem to see an improvement and it happened again this week even though we are now ourselves losing an increasing number of players with our three new U21 internationals.

I do think that Farke's hand was perhaps forced in terms of the selections at the weekend which may have inadvertently done us a favour. I'm not sure he would have changed our style and set up quite so drastically were it not for the injuries. Byram and Tettey coming in I think gave us a little more defensive stability with both being more naturally defensive players than those they replaced. I think against the bigger sides we need to have Tettey or Amadou as a holding midfielder not Trybull. If Hanley had been fit it would have been interesting to see if he got the nod at CB ahead of Amadou because that probably would not have worked out half as well given the latter's greater mobility. Things kind of fell into place for us in that respect and out of adversity we were able to prosper. However, coupled with that is was evident that the team had been incredibly well drilled and were playing without some of the defensive naivity that we have seen in some of the earlier games. Buendia and Stiepermann were working hard and tracking back. In short, Farke and the players had learnt from those previous games as that for me was as encouraging as anything else we saw on Saturday.  Despite what some are saying we definitely DID change how we played but we changed it for a much more savvy, streetwise style. 

I have also noted in the last few games an improvement in our defending of set pieces which at the start of the season was a continuing worry - long may that hopefully continue as we are sure to be tested in that area next weekend at Burnley!

I think some people are trying to make excuses for them-Man City hadn’t lost a game after an international break since November 2015 (Liverpool at home) and hadn’t drawn one since March 2017 (also Liverpool at home). The only other draw in the last 4 seasons was also at home, to Everton in October 2016. 13 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat in 16.

2018/19

Vs Fulham, 3-0 Home win;

Vs Burnley, 5-0 Home win;

Vs West Ham, 4-0 Away win;

Vs Fulham, 1-0 Way win.

2017/18

Vs Liverpool, 5-0 Home win;

Vs Stoke, 7-2 Home win;

Vs Leicester, 2-0 Away win;

Vs Everton, 3-1 Away win.

2016/17

Vs Man Utd, 1-2 Away win;

Vs Everton, 1-1 Home draw;

Vs Crystal Palace, 2-1 Away win;

Vs Liverpool, 1-1 Home draw.

2015/16

Vs Crystal Palace, 1-0 Away win;

Vs Bournemouth, 5-1 Home win;

Vs Liverpool, 4-1 Home defeat;

Vs Bournemouth, 4-0 Away win.

Much as a year ago, where our performance at poorman road has now gone down as an urbin myth.

We were so poor it seems that Farke would have been sacked had we lost.....yes I know. Rather like a midwife being sacked because a birth didn't happen in the first 10 minutes.

Wjat at showed is that the club is able to find players, bring them up to scratch and slot them in efforrlessly. To see both Byram and Ammadou look like they were with us all last season and cope so well gainst the quality they were up against speaks volumes for the ork that is going on off field.

Tettey I had down as being 'passed' it with worn out knees that would struggle with 90 mins. Wrong ! In fact no player looked out of place or not up to it

McLeans goal looked to be one that benefitted from the coaching staff doing their homework, and the second was the sort of goal we are supposed to concede where the defence is ripped apart and the scorer knocks in, into an empty net. Likewise the third was a goal that many would expect to use as an example of our failing defence.

The question now who is going to follow in Byram/Ammadou 'bootsteps' and make their make of the first team.....Roberts, DrMic, Heisse ? As I'M sure Idah will be the hero at some point.

Much to look forward to and a few more 'newbies' in the pipeline to step up as well

Great days, ones that most may not have thought would happen so soon after our last spell in the PL.