Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Our First Goal

Just watched the whole match again and realised what a stunning move it was in the build up to the corner for our first goal. I've timed it, and we had the ball for precisely two minutes without Man City touching it before Tettey's cross was charged down. And in that two minutes we completed 30 passes. Absolutely superb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're underrated Thirsty, and some of our own are so used to us turning on the style, that we almost take it for granted. 

Meanwhile, the 'experts' will say that Man City took us lightly, that if De Bruyne had started they would have won, if they had defended properly we wouldn't have scored, if, if, if.

The experts have highlighted Man Citys poor defending but everything I have seen, they have given great credit to our performance, our style and our attitude.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

The experts have highlighted Man Citys poor defending but everything I have seen, they have given great credit to our performance, our style and our attitude.

Some of what you say is true, but it all comes across as smug. Mealy mouthed praise like Lineker's condescending grin when he interviewed Pukki after his hat trick. 

I prefer staying under the radar.......

27 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I thought the build up to the 2nd goal was quite impressive too . 

Same here! Came directly from Krul, two or three passes and went back to him again before finding Emi... The rest is history!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just watched the whole match again and realised what a stunning move it was in the build up to the corner for our first goal. I've timed it, and we had the ball for precisely two minutes without Man City touching it before Tettey's cross was charged down. And in that two minutes we completed 30 passes. Absolutely superb. 

Yes, I noticed that it was a good period of possession but didn't realise it was 30 passes. It really betrays the narrative of Norwich defending for their lives and snatching lucky goals on the break. Obviously after taking the lead we had the luxury of having something to sit back and defend.

It also shows what a change in mentality there has been in football in this country over the last 15 years or so, and also at Carrow Road. I remember when I had a season ticket in my teenage years the fans would start grumbling if any backwards passes were played and they should 'get it forward!'. Then they'd also moan when Gary Doherty played an aimless punt forward to Rob Earnshaw's head.

57 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Same here! Came directly from Krul, two or three passes and went back to him again before finding Emi... The rest is history!

Yes, the clips circulating only show it from when Krul clips a pass to Buendia who sets up Stiepermann who passes to Pukki who passes to Cantwell to score.  There were 4 or 5 passes between Krul, Godfrey and Amadou before that pass to Buendia.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Yes, the clips circulating only show it from when Krul clips a pass to Buendia who sets up Stiepermann who passes to Pukki who passes to Cantwell to score.  There were 4 or 5 passes between Krul, Godfrey and Amadou before that pass to Buendia.

Yes, absolutely Woodman. If you were producing a coaching video of how to beat the high press you would just clip up the entirety of our second goal. From the goal kick we calmly pass it about in our own box - not to waste time or for the sake of it, but to draw on the front line of Man City's press. Then, at exactly the right time, Krul plays the long pass to Buendia. Buendia has made a perfectly timed run to a position about 20 yards inside our own half where the space has been opened up. Buendia then works his magic on a tricky bouncing ball, Stiepermann plays a perfectly weighted pass to Pukki (who of course has timed his run just right), Teemu drives on and instead of selfishly shooting plays a sumptuous pass which takes the whole Man City defence out of the game and Cantwell (who has bust a gut to get in position) taps into an empty net in front of an ecstatic Carrow Road. 

Football p-o-r-n!! 🙂😉😍 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Teemu drives on and instead of selfishly shooting plays a sumptuous pass which takes the whole Man City defence out of the game and Cantwell (who has bust a gut to get in position) taps into an empty net in front of an ecstatic Carrow Road. 

Football p-o-r-n!! 🙂😉😍 

Someone just did this in the city as I was walking along behind. But the issue was that, instead of a pro footballer, this was a rather portly gentleman with a very unkempt beard and a vape and his gut busting did not result in a goal but a very loud, rasping noise.

DISGUSTING!

43 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It also shows what a change in mentality there has been in football in this country over the last 15 years or so, and also at Carrow Road. I remember when I had a season ticket in my teenage years the fans would start grumbling if any backwards passes were played and they should 'get it forward!'. Then they'd also moan when Gary Doherty played an aimless punt forward to Rob Earnshaw's head.

To be fair, there are still some people in the river end who do this.

Thanks for this op.   I've watched the first goal again now and it is as you say, briliant play - the Man City players didn't get a sniff of the ball until Tettey on the right wing (!) put in the cross which was put out for the corner.

The second goal too. Text book Norwich at it's best and unplayable against, even against the top clubs, as we can now definitely say.