Sign in to follow this  
unique

Was a PL record smashed yesterday?

Has there ever been such a vast differential in the cost of two teams playing against each other since the inception of the PL?

In absolute terms this may easily be a record, especially bearing in mind the rapid inflation in signing fees. But then a starting eleven put together from 6,5 m was considered as cheap decades ago.

46 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Also, yesterday was the first time we started with a summer signing (Byram and Amadou). When was the last time a newly-promoted side got this far into a season before giving a first start to a player?

Well the deadline used to close 2nd/3rd September until recently so that has probably happened quite often.

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Also, yesterday was the first time we started with a summer signing (Byram and Amadou). When was the last time a newly-promoted side got this far into a season before giving a first start to a player?

I think I'm right in saying Tottenham didn't sign any players in summer 2018, so unless they gave a youth player a first start that might be one answer. Although I'd imagine it's a record in terms of having signed players but not started any of them.

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I disagree. Even in the past when the window closed later, it was rare to not see a debutant on the opening day, never mind mid-September.

Well Spurs signed nobody last summer. Looks like Burnley have only started one summer signing this season, and Liverpool have only started Adrian due to an injury. In addition Chelsea only signed one player, although they have started him. 

It's probably very uncommon but I don't think it's unheard of or super crazy. Liverpool basically stuck with the same group like us. 

8 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think I'm right in saying Tottenham didn't sign any players in summer 2018, so unless they gave a youth player a first start that might be one answer. Although I'd imagine it's a record in terms of having signed players but not started any of them.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well Spurs signed nobody last summer. Looks like Burnley have only started one summer signing this season, and Liverpool have only started Adrian due to an injury. In addition Chelsea only signed one player, although they have started him. 

It's probably very uncommon but I don't think it's unheard of or super crazy. Liverpool basically stuck with the same group like us. 

I said a newly-promoted team, guys...