Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Where do we go from here?

Brilliant result and an outstanding performance from the boys. Very nice dilemma for Farke to have, but there's lots of questions around who starts moving into Burnley and to be honest beyond that too.

GK - Krul's shirt to lose. He's been magnificent so far this season. Feel bad for Fahrmann as he came here to play football and I'd imagine that we paid the fee for him on the basis we expected him to do so, but Timmy has been unbelievable so far. He's found a new gear and is keeping the shirt on merit.

RB - Aarons has underwhelmed a little bit so far (no surprise as he's still very young), and Byram was exceptional yesterday. Even if Max is fit for Burnley, I think that Byram deserves to keep it after yesterday's showing. Hard to swallow as MAx is one of our own, but he hasn't hit the heights of last season for me so far, so on the basis of form, maybe a break from the team wouldn't be the worst thing for him. 

CB - Amadou was brilliant yesterday - dominant in the air, quick, comfortable with it at his feet. I think we may have inadvertently filled the Zimbo shaped hole until Jan at least. Far more confident with him next to Godfrey than I would be with Hanley. Bit of miscommunication with Godfrey to allow Aguero to stand on the 6 yard box unmarked for their first but that kind of thing comes with time and chemistry of the CB pairing playing together.

LB - Jamal has been unreal this season. No question marks here.

DM - Tettey was brilliant yesterday. Very disciplined and effective performance. We all know his limitations in terms of ability and in terms of injury record but for me, I would be playing him ahead of Trybull. Thought he offered more, his passing was largely decent and he had more of an impact on the game than Tommy has so far.

CM - Kenny McLean was class yesterday. Certainly deserves to keep the shirt for Burnley regardless of injury situ with Leitner/Vrancic etc... however long term I feel like maybe one of Mo or Mario offers us a bit more.

Front four - No questions for me really. Drmic looks decent in cameos but not enough to displace Stiepi for me. Actually thought Dennis was excellent in his cameo yesterday too - chased down the Man City players on a few occasions but he's defo a squad player for me rather than any real danger to the starting 11. The unknown quantity here is Roberts but hard to see him getting a sniff unless Cantwell or Buendia picks up an injury.

Thoughts?

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

Same again. Absolutely no point in bringing in/back others until 100% fit or needs require. We are a team/squad. Greater than the sum of its parts and they all buy into that.

My thoughts are Byram is a better defender than Max who has not quite stepped up to the Premier League imo. Amadou looks class and sorry, but he's better than Zimbo too. Zimbo is all heroics and last ditch, Amadou looks far more accomplished. The defence for once looked so solid with Godfrey and Amadou looking as they will form quite a partnership.

Barring more injuries it will and should be same again for Burnley. Beyond that, we'll see.

The key thing yesterday was our work rate and discipline. we need to do that every week.

• Like 1

Play well, you keep your place - that has to be the mantra to getting the very best from each and every player in the squad. Not really an incentive to know you’ll be displaced the moment X player returns from injury or suspension regardless of your performances. You want that shirt? You will have to earn it. Otherwise £50 down the club shop. 

Amadou and Godfrey are both impressive ball playing CBs. No surprise they have been defensive midfielders and Amadou didn’t look out of place at all in defence and against one of the best attacks in the world. He also had the confidence in his first home game against the champions of the PL to dribble the ball out of defence a few times. Fantastic home debut and look forward to seeing more of him, whatever position he plays in!

• Like 1

Byram fully deserves to keep his place. Very mature performance that showed he knows the PL and wasn’t daunted with Sterling up against him.

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Fantastic home debut and look forward to seeing more of him, whatever position he plays in!

He looked a formidable physical presence as well Zac, perfectly complimenting Big Ben.

Just now, Daz Sparks said:

He looked a formidable physical presence as well Zac, perfectly complimenting Big Ben.

Definitely, strong in the air and on the ground. Also, I know it’s a given but really gave everything for the cause, some terrific last ditch tackles and blocks. Welcome to the family Ibrahim!

Agreed with all comments above.

Didnt really get to see Byram going forward too much but there were a couple of touches in the lead up to us winning the corner for the first goal where he was very high up the pitch and brought down the ball excelently (Godfrey’s cross field ball wasn’t the best but Byram kept it alive). 

Aguero’s goal I think as mentioned down to a lack of communication/ understanding, which will come when the two have played more games together. If anything, I thought it was probably Godfrey who should have shifted across rather than Amadou being at fault, but Aguero is a genius at finding that sort of space so hard to criticise too much.

Only query re Tettey for me is if he is able to do it week in week out - if he is fit enough then he’s still our best DM in my opinion. 

I said elsewhere that even if there was a miracle and we had a fully fit squad for Burnley yesterday's team earned the right to go again. Who would have thought that...

Of course Burnley pose a totally different threat. So there could be an argument to play Hanley. But we can't, we mustn't and we won't. Daniel trusted the players and they didn't let him down. To be fair we didn't but they lifted us to that amazing level of support. We have to trust them now.

4 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Very good performance from Sam last night but surprised to see a few saying Max hasn't stepped up.

Exactly this. 

Byram was undoubtedly brilliant yesterday but Aarons has been very good so far this season and not looked at all out of place. 

Strange to see people suggest otherwise. 

• Like 1

Have to agree about Aarons. He's done alright so far. He's stepped up to being a decent Premiership right back and let's not forget he's very young and was playing u23 football just a few months back. Byram always had the quality. I'm delighted mainly that Buendia finally arrived (although he has been effective this season stats wise) and Steipermann put in a good shift too. It feels like every time we have a major injury, somebody steps up. Farke has it spot on. Make it your shirt and it's yours until your form drops or you get injured.

Edited by Michael Starr

Looking back to the Crawley game, it does make you wonder......probably a good thing that some of these lads had a run out, even though it was such a poor performance. Sam is a revelation from that game.

Aarons has been caught out of position a few times - not even a case of him being up the pitch due to attacking; he has seemed to switch off a couple of times which gives prem attackers enough time to get clear or into a dangerous position. Obviously Byram was told not to get forward as much as Aarons (which is why I’d like to see Byram against weaker opposition where he can get further forward), but I felt more comfortable defensively watching Byram yesterday than I have done with Aarons all season. 

That’s not to say Aarons won’t adapt - he’s still young and learning, but it’s good to know Byram (who I think most people thought would be a slightly more “solid” but less threatening right back) can do the job defensively if we need that option.

• Like 1

Thought Tettey had a very strong game, but we know from the past few seasons Tettey struggles to do more than a couple games at a time, if Zimbo or Klose are fit, I’d bring them back in and move Amadou into that Tettey position.

But agree they deserve their place for Burnley.

It has to be the same team for Burnley. Byram, Amadou and Tetty all played well. 

Aarons may offer more of an attacking dynamic however Byram had an excellent game marshalling one of the premierships most prolific wide players with a savvy worthy of a top pro. If he can repeat that performance Max is going to struggle to dislodge him other than as a sub in a game chasing situation. However I’m sure we’ll need them both. 

Burnley are no mugs and have a goal or two in them. This next fixture will be another very tough challenge. 

Whenever I read the title of this thread, the only answer I can come up with is.....

...... down to the lake I fear?

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aggy said:

Aarons has been caught out of position a few times - not even a case of him being up the pitch due to attacking; he has seemed to switch off a couple of times which gives prem attackers enough time to get clear or into a dangerous position. Obviously Byram was told not to get forward as much as Aarons (which is why I’d like to see Byram against weaker opposition where he can get further forward), but I felt more comfortable defensively watching Byram yesterday than I have done with Aarons all season. 

That’s not to say Aarons won’t adapt - he’s still young and learning, but it’s good to know Byram (who I think most people thought would be a slightly more “solid” but less threatening right back) can do the job defensively if we need that option.

This. Aarons is a fantastic talent for a 19-year-old and I'm sure he'll play at the very top but he has made a few defensive errors this season that have led to goals. Going forward he's Premier League class already with his dribbling and his technique, but he just needs to learn the defensive side a bit better and with the coaching staff we have at the club right now I'm sure he will.

31 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Whenever I read the title of this thread, the only answer I can come up with is.....

I'll get my coat.

Showing your age there Daz.

Let’s not forget that Aarons was injured after giving a MOM performance for the England U21s.

Lewis and Aarons have the heaviest workload in the team, and have both embraced the PL impressively.

Aarons is our number one right-back, and Byram is shaping up to be a terrific deputy.

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

I'll get my coat.

brilliant..... you beat me to it..... eye eye eye eye eye yeah!