Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Nature or nurture?

Admittedly it is probably a combination of both, but are our current amazing performances due to talent or the level of belief that has been instilled in the players by Daniel and the rest of the coaching staff?

Every time we lose a 'key' player we fear for our lives, but along comes another 'also ran' or 'untried youth' to step on the pitch with the attitude that they have every right to be sharing the stage with the best the division has to offer, and in most cases cope admirably with some of the best players on the planet. Surely this can't just be down to our astute scouts unearthing rough diamonds. However, once those diamonds have been polished by what must be one of the best man-management teams in the country we seem to have a strength in depth of our squad that totally allays any fears we may have had at the start of the season.

Mind you, as many former Championship opposition fans have always been keen to point out, we are only a one-man team, and as soon as Pukki is injured or sold off we will plummet back to the lower leagues. Yeah, right, just like when we sold Maddison and the Murphy twins. Sure, one day the bubble may burst, but for now, if Farke puts out a team of one-legged midgets I am prepared to trust his judgement.

Take your profile pic as an example

there's the calm and the storm. Farke Trusts his players and stays resolute and a solid rock for them. He doesn’t compromise, he doesn’t panic, he just lets them play. That is powerful management.

It has to be nurture, imagine where these players would be under different management? We’ve been having some decent youngsters coming through in recent years so I suppose some small credit to nature but jeez, Farke has transformed our current crop to their potential and beyond.  Cantwell being the best example, looks a completely different player after 3 months of pre season?? What on Earth they did to him I’ll never know. But you also have to look at our 3 defenders (Lewis, Godfrey and Aarons) and say the same - the former two look like they’ve come on leaps and bounds from last season already.

The visible difference in several of our players after signing from one season as well, Stiepermann (ok also in a diff position), Vrancic, Zimmerman, Hernandez and even Krul (just look at how his season has been so far v last year).. all came in and initially looked decent in flashes but nothing more. Fast forward several months and they’re all revelations.. 

I also do get annoyed at people who claim we are a one man team RE Pukki - we have shown to have a very adaptable squad on several occasions in the last 15 months, when injury has forced change upon on us and the players introduced have more than stepped up to the task and staked a claim from almost nowhere (Aarons, Zimmerman, Godfrey, Vrancic, McLean and now Amadou and Bryam), it’s nothing short of exceptional. And whilst Pukki has never been a victim of such a change in hands and is undoubtedly a key player for us, I have no doubts that Drmic or whoever replaced him would be able to stake a similar claim. That said, I do hope we don’t need to prove that anytime soon.. 😁

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

Admittedly it is probably a combination of both, but are our current amazing performances due to talent or the level of belief that has been instilled in the players by Daniel and the rest of the coaching staff?

Every time we lose a 'key' player we fear for our lives, but along comes another 'also ran' or 'untried youth' to step on the pitch with the attitude that they have every right to be sharing the stage with the best the division has to offer, and in most cases cope admirably with some of the best players on the planet. Surely this can't just be down to our astute scouts unearthing rough diamonds. However, once those diamonds have been polished by what must be one of the best man-management teams in the country we seem to have a strength in depth of our squad that totally allays any fears we may have had at the start of the season.

Mind you, as many former Championship opposition fans have always been keen to point out, we are only a one-man team, and as soon as Pukki is injured or sold off we will plummet back to the lower leagues. Yeah, right, just like when we sold Maddison and the Murphy twins. Sure, one day the bubble may burst, but for now, if Farke puts out a team of one-legged midgets I am prepared to trust his judgement.

You can't call them that now. It's people affected by dwarfism.

The improvement that Godfrey, Cantwell, Aarons, Lewis and others have shown in during Farke's time here makes me think it's definitely nurture. The way he develops players is incredible- he's already been worth £100m us in terms of increased player values, and that's without the Premier League money we've received.

As with most things (*cough* Brexit), it’s not a binary one or the other. Our scouts and academy recognise potential nature and our coaching staff’s nurture brings it out. For me, we have a hit a fantastic blend of ability to spot as yet unrealised potential and then provide it with the right environment to grow and flourish. Whether this can survive the loss of Webber and/or Farke, I have no idea but let’s enjoy it while it lasts!

It's both, right now we are blessed with young players that have talent and potential, we are also blessed with a coach that can see this and knows how to develop it. Norwich City wise, it is a perfect storm.

I must admit I used to scoff a little at those who used the argument that none of our players had improved under x, y z manager as a measure of said manager's capability. However, I have completely changed my view having witnessed what the current regime has achieved. It is almost certainly not all Farke, it's the whole team and overall culture, but he is undoubtedly a massive part of it. 

For me Webber/Farke are this century's Taylor/Clough. Different dynamic obviously, but they complement each other superbly. And what they achieved has one particular thing in common: match winning performances from unlikely looking teams

The value of our squad is often discussed, but I think one of the reasons we haven't had huge sums bid for our players is that  other clubs realise that we get uniformly outstanding performances from them, more than they could ever get at a different club. There are notable exceptions to this (Maddison), but our management team recruit players that 'fit', that genuinely produce something greater than the sum of its parts. I think character - particularly the belief that it's the team that absolutely, really comes first, comes before personal ambition - is paramount in their decision making.

4 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

You can't call them that now. It's people affected by dwarfism.

Apologies if I caused any offence. I was brought up in pre-politically-correct times when many of the terms and names now considered offensive were not only the norm but, in some cases, considered the correct ones to use. I am afraid you will have to excuse use old, or should that be chronologically-challenged, individuals who struggle to keep up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chip20 said:

I must admit I used to scoff a little at those who used the argument that none of our players had improved under x, y z manager as a measure of said manager's capability. However, I have completely changed my view having witnessed what the current regime has achieved. It is almost certainly not all Farke, it's the whole team and overall culture, but he is undoubtedly a massive part of it. 

Leaders create the culture, and empowerment/ownership of that culture by everyone involved equals achievement. I know there are lots of buzzwords in that sentence, but in most successful businesses it is the leadership which is largely responsible - as in, if we don't have the right people we'll get them, and they'll fit what we want to do. Definitely nurture.

Performance = 20% ability + 80% attitude, given there already exists an aptitude toward being physically adept, hand eye, etc.  Take from that what you want, but mindset is key at this level, or any other level come to that.