Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

Unlikely CENTER Backs

Last season, central midfielder Ben Godfrey takes on the role of excellent Center back

This season, Amadou comes into Center back as a Center back

could we have assembled an unlikely defensive partnership at the back that just sort of works?

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Like 1

Just now, Daz Sparks said:

I just sort of think it sort of works better than sorts of working, how about you? 

I sort of do think it works!

roll on the Amadou agadoo chant

Amadou looked good at the back. He looked stronger and bigger than probably any of our other centre backs. The interception/block when Man City were on the counter towards the end and he was the last man (albeit a poor pass from the attacker) was quality - he still had to be there and stop the pass. 

It will be interesting to see him in the defence against weaker opposition - in some ways it’s easier to hold your position when playing against Man City because we were solid, compact, and he had men around him in the box all the time. When we play more expansively against weaker sides, and he has less cover, will he get caught out of position more because it isn’t his main/natural position? 

I still expect he might end up playing in the midfield when Zimmerman is back but good to know we’ve got the option! 

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Amadou looked good at the back. He looked stronger and bigger than probably any of our other centre backs. The interception/block when Man City were on the counter towards the end and he was the last man (albeit a poor pass from the attacker) was quality - he still had to be there and stop the pass. 

It will be interesting to see him in the defence against weaker opposition - in some ways it’s easier to hold your position when playing against Man City because we were solid, compact, and he had men around him in the box all the time. When we play more expansively against weaker sides, and he has less cover, will he get caught out of position more because it isn’t his main/natural position? 

I still expect he might end up playing in the midfield when Zimmerman is back but good to know we’ve got the option! 

Defensive midfielders look better because we pass and move from the back , most will be better on the ball and more mobile and pass better than a traditional CB ,as we have found with Godfrey Amadou is quicker / better on the ball and more powerful than our other CB's i would play them both unchanged until it is broken 

• Like 3

Taking into consideration who they were up against, Godfrey and Amadou looked an awesome partnership, and no one could be grudge them further games together.

Amadou looked every inch a Premier League quality CB. As long as he is happy playing at CB then it's his shirt to lose after that display - Given that the only other CB we have on the books until Jan is Hanley, I see it as a straight battle between the two of them for the CB berth until Jan. I was going to post further but actually think there's probably merit in starting another thread on what I was going to post so will do that instead.

• Like 2

Burnley will offer a different challenge, more crosses into the box for Chris Wood, a big target man. We'll need a bit more mobility in front of the back four as they're more comfortable playing wide.

Man C got pushed wide and limited to crosses, which isn't really their game, their quick passing and excellent movement normally cuts straight through the middle but we played narrow and gave them no space.

Credit to Farke, got it spot on. 

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Defensive midfielders look better because we pass and move from the back , most will be better on the ball and more mobile and pass better than a traditional CB ,as we have found with Godfrey Amadou is quicker / better on the ball and more powerful than our other CB's i would play them both unchanged until it is broken 

Agreed but at the same time if it’s not your natural position sometimes you’ll get caught out of position. I think Godfrey last season (and I would say this season a couple of time too) has been caught out of position when perhaps someone who has always played CB might not have done. Godfrey is young and will learn, so will only get better.

Against Man City we were more compact and had more bodies in the box supporting. Against Burnley, for instance, we’ll probably be more open - we’ll see more about Amadou’s positional sense.

On last night's display I genuinely believe that we may have stumbled, accidentally, into one of the best defensive pairings outside the top 4 (or maybe better than Stones and Otamendi 😉). They are both big and athletic with plenty of pace. They are strong enough in the air and can tackle, track and block as well as anyone. However, it's the midfield attributes that set them apart. The passing, movement and reading of the game is exceptional, fitting perfectly into our style and philosophy. CDM is the new CB!

This post has been running for some time and I'm amazed that no one has stated the obvious. Centre not Center. Please. 

We're not the 51st state of the USA just yet. But give it another 6 weeks..... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This post has been running for some time and I'm amazed that no one has stated the obvious. Centre not Center. Please. 

We're not the 51st state of the USA just yet. But give it another 6 weeks..... 

Zzzzzzzz

My phone always predicts center and I try to take the trouble to correct it. There's loads of words that the Yanks have changed but I'm not American and will do all I can to put it right. 

• Like 1

Unwise to get ahead of ourselves..... one brilliant performance doesn't make them the best partnership outside of the top 4 (by the way, who is the top 4?).....   If they can do it regularly, then fair enough.....    Godfrey has been immense for months, if Amadou can find consistency, we may have something....  Actually think Byram could also be a CB option when Aarons returns (much like Culverhouse in the 90's) allowing Amadou to step into DM.    

Still options, despite the injuries! 

OTBC.

I believe I saw Alex dropping into the back 4 at times yesterday to cover for Ibrahim or Ben. Doing this could be a useful tactic against lesser teams this season, as we know Ben likes to burst forward occasionally & I'm sure Ibrahim can do likewise. Yet more brilliant options ...

I have to say, I think it says a LOT about Farke and his coaching staff to not only turn Godfrey into an absolute beast of a CB but to also bring in a player, for a DM role, and then help his progression too. Amadou didn't impress me much at all against West Ham (not many of them did) yet with another couple of weeks training under his belt he seemed a completetly different player against Man City.

I realise that we signed him not only for his DM abilities but for the fact he could play CB. So, a versatile player and this is something Farke likes. But I hadn't expected him to look so comfortable in that position on Sat.

Hats off to Byram too, who was my MOTM for sure. Aarons could actually find it tricky to get back in if Sam keeps those performances up.

Edited by BobLoz3

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

I believe I saw Alex dropping into the back 4 at times yesterday to cover for Ibrahim or Ben. Doing this could be a useful tactic against lesser teams this season, as we know Ben likes to burst forward occasionally & I'm sure Ibrahim can do likewise. Yet more brilliant options ...

I noticed this too. Both Amadou and Godfrey are capable of bringing the ball out from the back and moving into midfield, so having such an intelligent, experienced holding midfield player like Tettey to drop in is very useful indeed.

9 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Yep, you look at the top teams and they have a midfielder who tucks into the defence when the wing backs get forward, either to make a three (if both wing backs go up) or to make a four with one of the centre backs pulling wider.

This is the role I think Amadou was probably brought in to do. Tettey tends to like to close down rather than hold/drop off (although that might be under instruction from the manager), but can tuck into the defence - I’m not sure any of our other holding midfielders can.