Sign in to follow this  
Ankles50

To what extent should you be heard

As a paying fan  i.e.  season ticket holder, merchandise purchaser, how much do you think the club should listen to your opinions and what sort of mediums do you think best communicates your thoughts.  Collective singing at ground with other like minded folks, meetings arrange by club both formal & social, written letter or telephone conversation, fans associations? 

Its obvious there is a divide amongst fans opinions at the moment (i''m not interested in the split to be honest) but is there a sentiment that if you say what the board likes/wants to hear you are more readily heard, this is of course only human nature.

Thoughts of some would be interesting, turning this thread into another petty squabble between some over opinionate & rude posters would not be (see how i re-enforced point i made above there in that last statement).

Ankles, hi and welcome to the Pink Un!

I think any club needs input from its fans.  Norwich City are no different and have, on occasion held many forums etc when fans can question the board, manager, players etc and put across their point of view.

A few years ago, before this present board was in place we reached a point where our views and opinions were held with disdain, if not total disregard.  I remember it well.  After Chase was gone, one of the most immediate changes by the new board was to set up their consultative commitee, on which sits, to this day, a number of fans, namely those who head the various fan groups, eg, NCISA, the supporters trust and those who administer the away travel.  I seem to remember a while back a position was advertised to join that group and I guess someone is now in post.

So, you can say the club do listen to the fans and I doubt many clubs are so open and accommodating.

However, that is all well and good if the fans feel they are being heard.  At the present time there are more than a few who feel cheated, disappointed, let down by the club for not answering their pleas to rectify the situation (sorry!) we are now in regarding the progress of the team.

Ankles, so far this season I have written to the board, in October, and emailed Doncaster, in December.  On both occasions I received a reply from Neil Doncaster within a short time offering to have a phone conversation with me to discuss the issues raised.  I would say that was very fair and was satisfied with the response.  I chose not to take him up on his offer as I had information from other fans as to what was likely to be the main topic, they were keeping their faith in the manager.  I don''t condemn them for not listening to fans, they do, it''s just that if they don''t act according to our wishes we feel let down.

I have come to the conclusion now that letters, emails, and of course the internet (which is conversations between fans of course, not between fans and club) have little effect on the board or those elsewhere in the club.  If a situation (arrggghhhh) becomes unbearable, other forms of action are often needed and it looks as if fans'' frustrations are getting to the point when vocal chanting and protests outside the ground may take place.  Never wanted by anyone, but sometimes the only course of action if other forms of communication either break down or are not to the fan''s liking.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I am of the opinion now that the board do indeed need to address the problems on the pitch and they seem to be of the opinion we are bound for the playoffs, whilst this is of course their views and they are entitled to them, I think they need to realise that a lot of fans are unhappy and concerned that under the present management team we are more likely to end up the other end of the table.

[quote user="Ankles50"]

As a paying fan  i.e.  season ticket holder, merchandise purchaser, how much do you think the club should listen to your opinions and what sort of mediums do you think best communicates your thoughts.  Collective singing at ground with other like minded folks, meetings arrange by club both formal & social, written letter or telephone conversation, fans associations? 

Its obvious there is a divide amongst fans opinions at the moment (i''m not interested in the split to be honest) but is there a sentiment that if you say what the board likes/wants to hear you are more readily heard, this is of course only human nature.

Thoughts of some would be interesting, turning this thread into another petty squabble between some over opinionate & rude posters would not be (see how i re-enforced point i made above there in that last statement).

[/quote]

If you contact the club they listen to you regardless of whether you ''say what the board likes/wants to hear'' or not, they may not agree with you but thats a different matter.

[<:o)][<:o)][^][^]  FANFARE REQUIRED  [^][^][<:o)][<:o)]

LOS Posts without insulting the poster shock! 

Well played mate! [Y]  Can you keep up this new leaf  - you are dead right; the club do listen, its just they chose to not always action what they are told when they feel it is not in the clubs best interest; and sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong - either way it does not mean they are not listening.

Like Gazza I find the club always responds but I have found the experience a disappointment afterwards - they are far better a putting their message across in a pleasant manner and not directly answering the question than I am at being Jeremy Paxman!