Sign in to follow this  
Christoph Stiepermann

Todd Cantwell

On 17/09/2019 at 09:32, Jim Smith said:

I find the habit some of our fans have of disparaging past players through comparisons with current players very strange. Its possible to say that Cantwell is good without being disrespectful to one of our greatest servants in Wes. I can remember Wes almost single handedly transforming our team when he came into it during more than one of our premier league seasons. As one of our most technically gifted players ever I don't see why he could not play in a Farke side, indeed I think in his prime he would have flourished in it.

Cantwell is looking good and I think going to be great for us.

Wes was great for us for a prolonged period. No need to slag off Wes to make the point that Cantwell looks good. 

I also do not understand the necessity to compare current players with previous ones. Todd is an exceptional young player who is exciting to watch, i always believed he would make the grade as i did with Max when i first saw them both on my arrival to Norwich, when they were in the u-21 side.

Todd is Todd, and Wes is a legend. No need to compare, lets just appreciate and be thankful we are able to have such talented players at City

• Like 2

Todd's hair in a decent style......is his strength......If he goes back to Naff Naff 'man bun'......Bench him or send him out on loan!.......

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

The nasty element of our fan base has continued to rear it's ugly head on this thread.

I'm sorry, but how on earth is rating one player higher than another 'nasty'? Nobody has said anything even bordering on 'nasty' towards Hoolahan- they're only comparing him to Todd Cantwell.

Daniel Farke has consistently put Drmic on the bench this season and played Pukki. He clearly rates Pukki higher than Drmic. Does that make Farke 'nasty'?

3 hours ago, Six Pack said:

The nasty element of our fan base has continued to rear it's ugly head on this thread.

How exactly do you base your opinion anyway ? Hoolahan has played for us for 10 seasons so after Cantwell's 2 part seasons for us you have compared them and come to the conclusion that Cantwell is way better than Hoolahan. Have you based your comparison through results, goals and assists ? Can't compare purely on games played. Both players have guile - if anything Hoolahan has closer control and can work in tighter compact spaces, both goal scoring range is roughly 6 yards, both appear easy to shrug off defensively, both have a footballing brain - so what skills do Cantwell process that Hoolahan doesn't ? Is it Cantwell is taller and can run faster ? Is he 2 footed ?  Hoolahan can ghost past defenders pretty easily - has he not done this in enough of his 365 odd games and Todd has done this in the couple he has played ? Have you done this comparison using Hoolahan's worse game for us next to Cantwell's best ? DF's team gameplan is a consolidated defence so Todd will stick to it longer than Hoolahan in his time in the team.

I have covered all assessment points and can't see any extreme differences.  So how do you form your opinion ?   Do you like the way he runs ?

What an odd post, where is the “nasty element in our fan base raising its ugly head”🤔

If you think comparing two of our great players is nasty then you best not come on here after we have lost a game.

As for Todd, he is 21, has scored 2 goals in five games in his first season in the premier league and is developing his game at a rate of knots, if he continues in this vein he will become a top class player and is very likely to exceed the heights reached by Wes. His attitude and progress made over the summer suggests to me that he will continue on an upward curve and the sky is the limit for him being coached at Norwich.

12 hours ago, Van wink said:

His attitude and progress made over the summer suggests to me that he will continue on an upward curve and the sky is the limit for him being coached at Norwich.

Someone suggested on another thread that he's likely to burn out this season.... I'm not sure who to believe 🤔

6 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Someone suggested on another thread that he's likely to burn out this season.... I'm not sure who to believe 🤔

All young players will have periods when they lose form, hence the reference above to him being coached at Norwich, I have confidence that Farke will manage him properly and help him through the ups and downs in his development. I hope that the injury crisis we have doesn’t prevent that.