Sign in to follow this  
Christoph Stiepermann

Todd Cantwell

Where has this insane improvement come from? last year he looked a decent Championship player that could develop into a very good Championship player but this year he has gone up several levels and is looking like a star player in this league. If he maintains this level of performance I don't think he'll just be worthy of wearing the number 14 shirt he'll actually be an improvement on the last player to wear it.

Outstanding performance today to go along with his other brilliant performances this season. Did he always have this potential or is Farke really the prodigious coach we all think he is? Makes me wonder how good the Murphys could have been if Farke could have started coaching them early

supposedly Man U were sniffing round a few years ago so he clearly always had the vision and skill but I imagine he is very much a confidence player. He will have gained so much from his efforts over the last month. Amazing that a clumsy step from Hernandez has had such a positive effect on our season 😂

• Haha 1

I prefer Farke's mantra, not to praise the youngsters too much, too early. Yes, he's done well, but he's still got a lot to learn, stay humble, keep working hard and the rewards will come. 

Certainly beefed up over the summer, a much stronger Todd than we saw last season.

Its great to see young players developing their game, we are blessed at the moment.

27 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Where has this insane improvement come from? last year he looked a decent Championship player that could develop into a very good Championship player but this year he has gone up several levels and is looking like a star player in this league. If he maintains this level of performance I don't think he'll just be worthy of wearing the number 14 shirt he'll actually be an improvement on the last player to wear it.

Outstanding performance today to go along with his other brilliant performances this season. Did he always have this potential or is Farke really the prodigious coach we all think he is? Makes me wonder how good the Murphys could have been if Farke could have started coaching them early

We've got one of those very special managers, of which they are only half a dozen per generation, who can consistently get talented players reaching their full potential. 

The only thing is that the player themselves have to do is want it enough and to believe in Farke. Those who choose not to will go one way in football... down, those who accept the challenge will become great. 

Perhaps the greatest of this type is Sir Alex Ferguson. Often players made the wrong choice, one of those is Ravel Morrison. At Norwich one of the players to make the wrong decision was Jacob Murphy who didn't commit fully to Farke's techniques, was called out publicly for it and then sold. Now he's back in the Championship.

Todd Cantwell to Norwich is becoming a special player to us, like Fernando Torres is to Athletico Madrid.

Todd is doing great. He's not quite there yet, still has to learn to manage the ball, still too prone to losing possession; but that said he's proving the naysayers were wrong. Going to be a top player for us over the next few years.

Still very young so no wonder he is improving all the time. I wasn’t sure whether he’d quite be ready for first team prem football this year but happy to say he’s proving he is!

I think people forget that he's only 21, and that young players take a while to bulk up, unless they have explosive pace to keep away from defenders. He's still developing.

I don't think he got enough credit at the start of last season for deputizing for Hernandez (who'd been our best player until his hernia operation). Certainly he made a big impact in the Reading and Forest games before tailing off a bit and Hernandez getting his place back.

At the back of last season, we missed Buendia and Todd struggled against teams parking the bus against us.

He's really channelling the spirit of Hoolahan since pulling the number 14 shirt on. Some great flicks and turns this season.

He's also added goals to his game - they may be tap ins, but that shows how well he is reading the game and linking up with the rest of our attack.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

I think people forget that he's only 21, and that young players take a while to bulk up, unless they have explosive pace to keep away from defenders. He's still developing.

Yeah, needs to work on his goal celebration, his dancing skills are pretty poor and the powder puff punch on the corner flag was embarrassing 😝😝😝

People said at the start of the season to loan him out to a championship side. Bet they feel stupid now.

Edited by Ward 3

22 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

People said at the start of the season to loan him out to a championship side. Bet they feel stupid now.

Hold my hands up to that one, and no, I don't feel stupid. I'm chuffed for Todd that he's made the step up, happy to have been proved wrong.

The game is all about opinions, that was mine at the time. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I was one of them, but I don't feel stupid. We weren't able to see what went on behind the scenes.

As for the Hoolahan comparisons, if he maintains this level of performance, he's already surpassed him. He has (nearly) the technique of Hoolahan whilst being more physical and doing more off the ball.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Todd's energy is outstanding, coupled with his added physical strength and obvious talent, he has the potential to become a City legend and even more. I couldn't be more happy for the lad, and I am delighted that he is a Norfolk boy to boot!

Let's all hope he keeps with the current trajectory, if he does, we have a real superstar on our hands.

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

I do, he's been a revelation. I would say that if he had continued at last season's level I think he would have found the Prem was a bridge too far, however he has come on leaps and bounds this season and is turning into a hell of a player. He's been far more expressive with his tricks and flicks, but his all round game is dramatically improved on last season and he is living up to the potential we've known was there. Absolutely earned that shirt now and it's his to lose, even when Onel is fit.

• Like 2

Of course he's improved his levels and has worked hard to do so. But he's always been a player who would be suited to the premier league. And especially a game like last night's which was chalk and cheese to a windy lunchtime on a rugby field in Wigan.

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Yeah, needs to work on his goal celebration, his dancing skills are pretty poor and the powder puff punch on the corner flag was embarrassing 😝😝😝

Wasn't sure if he was auditioning for Undisputed Era

image.png.4cb65c07875c22a6862f00778da430bc.png

• Like 1

Fair play to you guys holding your hands up. Todd has been so good. Much better than last season

When Farke was introduced, Webber said something along the lines of our new model requiring a coach who could actually develop and improve players, since we didn't have the funds to go out and buy the finished article.   Farke had been chosen partly for his ability to do just that.

Looking at Todd, or plenty of others, that box has been well and truly ticked.

22 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Actually really enjoyed his goal celebration - will never be tired of watching it !

22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I was one of them, but I don't feel stupid. We weren't able to see what went on behind the scenes.

As for the Hoolahan comparisons, if he maintains this level of performance, he's already surpassed him. He has (nearly) the technique of Hoolahan whilst being more physical and doing more off the ball.

No need to get carried away !

I am not particularly adept at spotting the signs of raw footballing ability: I thought the Murphys would do really well and was overly fond of Cody McDonald, and I certainly didn't see Todd Cantwell developing in the way he has. Last season I struggled to see what he brought to the side and thought he lacked any kind of cutting edge which, as a winger/attacking midfielder, is pretty much your main requirement.

Perhaps his underlying ability was somewhat masked by his inexperience and the demands of learning how to fit into Farke's system. However, several areas of his game have suddenly shone through in a way that I couldn't have imagined.

He is lightning fast. It had somehow escaped my attention until Saturday when he was up against Kyle Walker when it suddenly became apparent that he could easily keep up with one of the quickest players out there. For his goal he left the Man City defence in his wake.

He has exceptional vision and awareness. He is getting forward into goalscoring positions far more often now, but still somehow fulfilling the defensive requirements of his role with great discipline. He looks to move the ball quickly to catch teams out when we win possession and break. Yes, he gives the ball away often - largely because his first thought is to play high-risk/high-reward passes. He's basically the opposite of Robert Snodgrass.

He is very skilful. The flicks, tricks and turns which have materialised over the summer show a new level of confidence which is bringing his game to a whole new level. This kind of thing is fairly unusual for an English player and could give him the potential to develop into one of the best midfielders of his generation. I can see him being better than James Maddison.

Now, it's obviously worth reiterating that I'm not particularly skilled at predicting how well players will develop. He might have had an unusual purple patch before descending into mediocrity, but I think he's the real deal.

• Like 2

Let's not get carried away. He was never awful as suggested at the end of last season when Emi was out and he is not as fast as Kyle Walker or going to develop into the best of his generation. He is a very good player that will continue to improve, but please lets not over exaggerate in either direction.

I think the idea of him being loaned out was partly because he was going to have to force himself into the most congested area of the squad.