Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Man City

On match days I usually wake up with a buzz of anticipation and a quiet optimism that we will see a good game and get a decent result. This morning, despite the bright early Autumn sunshine, I had the sort of feeling that I used to get when lining up outside the headmasters study awaiting the inevitable chastisement. Those of a similar vintage to me who went to school in the days of corporal punishment, will know exactly what I mean. Even with a full squad this was going to be a difficult game and in the light of such an extended injury list my hope was get through it with as little damage to goal difference and morale as possible. As we headed off to CR my son mentioned that we were 25-1 to win and being the older wiser head I told him not to be silly as it would just be chucking money down the drain.

Carrow Road looked wonderful in the early evening sunlight as City kicked off towards the River end but soon found themselves penned back by the Champions quick and accurate play and had to defend a couple of dangerous corners. It was encouraging to see Amadou looking strong and confident and Sam Byram was making it difficult for Sterling with a couple of good tackles. The crowd roared enthusiastically at any sign of the home side raising the siege but in truth it was mainly a case of keepingĀ  the visitors at arms length.

As we came up to the twenty minute mark strong play from Buendia got City moving forward and we finally got numbers in the opposing half. Even Tetty got forward far enough to force a corner on the right. Buendia's cross was too the near post where Kenny Mclean ghosted in all alone to glance a header past Ederson. The whole place just errupted with joy at the unexpected lead and from then on every tackle, throw in and goal kick was greeted with tremendous noise.

Inevitably the Champions responded and when Aguero spurned a decent headed chance the City faithful gave vent to a storm of derision. It was quite apparent that the visitors were a bit rattled and the game got a shade feisty at times. It was still the visitors with the lions share of possession but the makeshift City rearguard looked reassuringly solid. The breakaways were few and far between but it was again Buendia doing some ball winning before setting Pukki away on a run at goal just before the half hour. As ederson advanced off his line, the City talisman might well have tried a shot but instead cleverly laid it to his left where Todd Cantwell arrived on cue to tap in a second goal.

It was glorious and it it was unbelievable in equal measure, surely nobody could have realistically predicted this. The vistors almost struck back immediately when the ball pinged about in the City area but there were cheers of relielf when Sterlings effort rebounded off Kruls righthand post. The defence looked solid and purposeful with everyone playing their part to perfection and Tim Krul was looking safe as houses while plucking the odd cross out of the air in fine style. It was good to see the home side now having a bit more possession themselves and they even earned a couple of corners much to the joy of all around me. I was counting the minutes down to halftime hoping to keep the two goal advantage intact but its next to impossible to shut Aguero out forever and ineviatably it was the the little Argentine who got on the end of a cross to glance a header past Krul to reduce the arrears seconds before the break.

I think we were all a bit stunned during the halftime break and I am sure most were thinking as I was that if we could get another one we might just get a point out of this.

As we resummed it was the visitors who immediately got on the front foot and swarmed around our eighteen yard line making it very difficult to get the ball away. Eventuall, Stiepermann got Pukki away in space on the left and we all held our breath as he bore down on goal only to fluff his lines with a fairly tame shot wide of the far post. I was still bemoaning it as a decent chance missed when Buendia robbed Otamendi on the edge of the box and squared to Pukki who this time made no mistake as bedlam ensued in the ranks of the City faithful. I've heard some loud Carrow Roads over the years but this was ear splitting and spine tingling all at the same time.

The visitors slung De Bruyne and Jesus on very quickly and once again it was all hands to the pump as wave after wave of Man City attacks bore down on the River End goal. Aguero had a couple of headers over the top and then leapt like a salmon at the far post only for Tim Krul to turn it over from point blank range. Every clearance and City surge forward was greeted with a wall of noise that got even louder as the visitors passing occasionally went astray. Godfrey and Amadou were simply immense under preasure and despite the tight passing of Aguero and Sterling there always seemed to be a City leg or body in the way.

I began to be fixated by the clock which I am sure was being slowed down by some invisible hand. It felt like an age going from seventy five to eighty minutes. Drmic came on for Buendia with seven minutes left and just when I finally began to believe we were going to win it, Rodri was given enough space to strike a low shot that Krul got a hand to but could not keep out. 3-3 would certainly be a disapointment now and the nerves were really jangling and Krul twice had to be alert as shots got through. City players were going down with cramp as we moved into added time and I forced the second hand of my watch round with sheer will power as City continued to block and harry to the death unti that ecstatic feeling of relief as Kevin Friend blew for full time.

Incredible, unbelievable, a night that nobody there will ever forget. Lake District Canary, this one is for you. I will never ridicule your often supremely over positive forecasts ever again. Nosey, colourful, wonderful, what a time to be alive.

MOM everyone in yellow and green

including the crowd.

Ā 

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 9

That's what I watched as well Ricardo, just from the other end. The atmosphere was absolutely epic, my daughter said her tender 17 yr old ears were ringing like never before!

I am glad you are as excited as I am Ricardo. I have had a few and now I'm having a few more to celebrate what a wondeful feeling it is a t the moment.

I could say I wish I had been there but watched it with the family and you don't get much better than that,

• Like 1

Pleased for all the fans there and credit to them for the fantastic support, especially by not letting any nerves get to the players.Ā 

Two things I heard on the radio which stood out:

1) Todd Cantwell taking the ball into a corner late on instead of risking a shot and a counter. He is learning.Ā 

2) Ben Godfrey putting the ball out with such venom he hit the roof of the River End Stand. I have never seen a player able to do that before?!Ā 

Yes, Ricardo..This is from a long time back (really several decades ago) but two West Indians cricket fans are trying to find the right word to describe an epic encounter. And one of them finally comes up with "Homeric". So something out of mythology, from the age of heroes. Of course this was only a football match, but...

• Like 1

Was looking forwards to your report, thanks for the mention.Ā  As the team went 2-0 up it reminded me of the Leeds away game last season where we looked so good defending and were still able to show great quality getting forwards and getting goals.Ā  Better quality opposition today of course, but the same outcome - the right tactics, a great performance and three points. Happy days.

Ā 

• Like 3

What a wonderful game football is. My 52 year old ears are still ringing too. Totally awesome performance from everyone today. I sit up top in the riverend and I've never known it so loud even my dad joined in!

Ā 

I missed the Chelsea game and had been looking forward to today but not sure my weak body would make it. Dad offered to stay home and watch it with me but somehow we dragged ourselves down to the ground. During the Newcastle game I had to be lifted up out of my chair by my dad on one side and the bloke next to me the other. Three bloody times dragged to my feet, however today I was like the crippled man miraculously healed.

As Ricardo says what a time to be alive. Long may it continue.

OTBC

Ā 

SPOT ON REPORT. TOTALLY AGREE EVERYONE IN YELLOW AND GREEN MOM

• Haha 1

And your report matches the performance and result. Bravo. A lovely summary report Ricardo.

All I wanted was for them to show pride in themselves and the shirt, today they gave so much more.Ā 

Credit to ldc, for not saying 'I told you so'

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

On match days I usually wake up with a buzz of anticipation and a quiet optimism that we will see a good game and get a decent result. This morning, despite the bright early Autumn sunshine, I had the sort of feeling that I used to get when lining up outside the headmasters study awaiting the inevitable chastisement. Those of a similar vintage to me who went to school in the days of corporal punishment, will know exactly what I mean. Even with a full squad this was going to be a difficult game and in the light of such an extended injury list my hope was get through it with as little damage to goal difference and morale as possible. As we headed off to CR my son mentioned that we were 25-1 to win and being the older wiser head I told him not to be silly as it would just be chucking money down the drain.

Carrow Road looked wonderful in the early evening sunlight as City kicked off towards the River end but soon found themselves penned back by the Champions quick and accurate play and had to defend a couple of dangerous corners. It was encouraging to see Amadou looking strong and confident and Sam Byram was making it difficult for Sterling with a couple of good tackles. The crowd roared enthusiastically at any sign of the home side raising the siege but in truth it was mainly a case of keepingĀ  the visitors at arms length.

As we came up to the twenty minute mark strong play from Buendia got City moving forward and we finally got numbers in the opposing half. Even Tetty got forward far enough to force a corner on the right. Buendia's cross was too the near post where Kenny Mclean ghosted in all alone to glance a header past Ederson. The whole place just errupted with joy at the unexpected lead and from then on every tackle, throw in and goal kick was greeted with tremendous noise.

Inevitably the Champions responded and when Aguero spurned a decent headed chance the City faithful gave vent to a storm of derision. It was quite apparent that the visitors were a bit rattled and the game got a shade feisty at times. It was still the visitors with the lions share of possession but the makeshift City rearguard looked reassuringly solid. The breakaways were few and far between but it was again Buendia doing some ball winning before setting Pukki away on a run at goal just before the half hour. As ederson advanced off his line, the City talisman might well have tried a shot but instead cleverly laid it to his left where Todd Cantwell arrived on cue to tap in a second goal.

It was glorious and it it was unbelievable in equal measure, surely nobody could have realistically predicted this. The vistors almost struck back immediately when the ball pinged about in the City area but there were cheers of relielf when Sterlings effort rebounded off Kruls righthand post. The defence looked solid and purposeful with everyone playing their part to perfection and Tim Krul was looking safe as houses while plucking the odd cross out of the air in fine style. It was good to see the home side now having a bit more possession themselves and they even earned a couple of corners much to the joy of all around me. I was counting the minutes down to halftime hoping to keep the two goal advantage intact but its next to impossible to shut Aguero out forever and ineviatably it was the the little Argentine who got on the end of a cross to glance a header past Krul to reduce the arrears seconds before the break.

I think we were all a bit stunned during the halftime break and I am sure most were thinking as I was that if we could get another one we might just get a point out of this.

As we resummed it was the visitors who immediately got on the front foot and swarmed around our eighteen yard line making it very difficult to get the ball away. Eventuall, Stiepermann got Pukki away in space on the left and we all held our breath as he bore down on goal only to fluff his lines with a fairly tame shot wide of the far post. I was still bemoaning it as a decent chance missed when Buendia robbed Otamendi on the edge of the box and squared to Pukki who this time made no mistake as bedlam ensued in the ranks of the City faithful. I've heard some loud Carrow Roads over the years but this was ear splitting and spine tingling all at the same time.

The visitors slung De Bruyne and Jesus on very quickly and once again it was all hands to the pump as wave after wave of Man City attacks bore down on the River End goal. Aguero had a couple of headers over the top and then leapt like a salmon at the far post only for Tim Krul to turn it over from point blank range. Every clearance and City surge forward was greeted with a wall of noise that got even louder as the visitors passing occasionally went astray. Godfrey and Amadou were simply immense under preasure and despite the tight passing of Aguero and Sterling there always seemed to be a City leg or body in the way.

I began to be fixated by the clock which I am sure was being slowed down by some invisible hand. It felt like an age going from seventy five to eighty minutes. Drmic came on for Buendia with seven minutes left and just when I finally began to believe we were going to win it, Rodri was given enough space to strike a low shot that Krul got a hand to but could not keep out. 3-3 would certainly be a disapointment now and the nerves were really jangling and Krul twice had to be alert as shots got through. City players were going down with cramp as we moved into added time and I forced the second hand of my watch round with sheer will power as City continued to block and harry to the death unti that ecstatic feeling of relief as Kevin Friend blew for full time.

Incredible, unbelievable, a night that nobody there will ever forget. Lake District Canary, this one is for you. I will never ridicule your often supremely over positive forecasts ever again. Nosey, colourful, wonderful, what a time to be alive.

MOM everyone in yellow and green

including the crowd.

Ā 

Raising a glass to Lakey tonight. Sometimes the deluded optimism shines though, the manner of our win shows we can mix it with anyone in the world now even with half our team out.

Got to be your best report ever Ricky! TotallyĀ captured the nervous feelings before the game and the euphoria of the goals, the atmosphereĀ and the final whistle. What a game, what a result and every man Jack played a full part.Ā 

Great stuffĀ 

.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant stuff Rickyyy. Tales of the unexpected for sure.

We were all worrying before the game but despite all the injuries this team just calmed us down and lifted us to great heights of support. If we had a full squad available next week this team would start. Who would have thought that.

These are great times!

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Brilliant stuff Rickyyy. Tales of the unexpected for sure.

We were all worrying before the game but despite all the injuries this team just calmed us down and lifted us to great heights of support. If we had a full squad available next week this team would start. Who would have thought that.

These are great times!

They are indeed Nutty.Ā 

Something has changed at CR, we have had noisey exciting times aplenty but there is now a sort of intensity that I have never experienced before.

• Like 2

There is a reader's comment on the L'Equipe website which sums it up rather well, including praise for President for Life Delia, and doesn't I think need translating:

"superbe equipe de Norwich, quels jeunes joueurs, quelle prƩsidente et quel public, quelle ambiance !!! merci le foot anglais."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is a reader's comment on the L'Equipe website which sums it up rather well, including praise for President for Life Delia, and doesn't I think need translating:

"superbe equipe de Norwich, quels jeunes joueurs, quelle prƩsidente et quel public, quelle ambiance !!! merci le foot anglais."

Fantastic,Ā really soundsĀ like it was written by Alan Coren!

• Haha 1

BeforeĀ the game I was (asĀ I guess most were) worried howĀ many they'd score (my 6 fingers) - and all I hoped was that we'd put in a professional performance and at leastĀ go down swinging. Well well well. We did better than that and it was Man City, the ā‚¬1Bn team,Ā thatĀ went down swinging.Ā šŸ˜ƒ

Your reports are always excellent Ricardo, but this is the one you should frame and hang on the wall. I only watchedĀ the game online, but you have somehow managed to capture the spirit in the ground as well as honestly reflecting the play.Ā 

Ā 

Unsurprisingly I donā€™t have any reactions left but itā€™s a great big šŸ‘ from me.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Your reports are always excellent Ricardo, but this is the one you should frame and hang on the wall. I only watchedĀ the game online, but you have somehow managed to capture the spirit in the ground as well as honestly reflecting the play.Ā 

Ā 

Unsurprisingly I donā€™t have any reactions left but itā€™s a great big šŸ‘ from me.

Thanks NS.

It is difficult to find words to describe the feeling of togertherness that was on display Saturday night. We have had special nights before but this really felt like something different.

• Like 1

Lovely read again, Ricardo šŸ‘ B@stard Achilles injury keeps me away, so ever grateful for a fans depiction that most reporting lacks.

It was my birthday -- Norwich 3 Man City 2 -- Best gift I ever hadĀ  šŸ‘

But Don't tell the missus šŸ˜€

• Haha 1