Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

ASHTON'S CHALLENGE

Teddy Sheringham, a particular favourite of mine, has requested another years contract from West Ham.

Sheringham and Ashton in the same forward line? I don''t think so.

It will be one plus Harewood or Zamora.

Ashton may have a real challenge on his hands to nail down a place, and did I see a hint that Pardew was unimpressed with his levels of fitness.

I keep going back to that golf day picture of Iwan and Ashton. One looked youthful and honed, the other was 21 years old and I''ve got more fat on my teeth than Teddy has on his torso.

Better shape up Deano. You won''t walk straight into this team. Having said that perhaps you need the challenge.

Good point. In general the fitness levels displayed by our team never look good to me. (apart from the Doc who took it upon himself to shape up over the summer). I watch the warm up routine before a game and always witness a fantastic display of apathy towards it.

But are we not supposed to put everything down to fitness, work ethic, notmean?

Because there is precious little footballing skill..........

As for Dean, I think he''ll be okay at W Ham, he''s at a club where technique comes before work ethic and commitment, both admirable qualities once you have someone who knows what a ball is for.

Pardew is no fool. While''s he''s gambled a lot of money on Ashton, he wants to keep Sheringham around to coach techniques and subtleties to Ashton at the higher level. A smart move if Sheringham is okay with it, and I''m sure he will be.