I'll have a stab at this - trying to be a little objective, which is almost impossible:

Krul: 8.5

Byram: 9

Amadou: 8.5

Godfrey: 9

Lewis: 9

Tettey: 8.5

McLean: 9

Buendia: 9.5

Stiepermann: 7.5 (bit harsh)

Cantwell: 8.5

Pukki: 8.5

Edited by Orly
forgot some 0.5s

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Byram was my MOM. Superb at everything and might just give Aarons a run for his money with that form.

Agree, man of the match for me too. Buendia close second. All excellent though.

16 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Byram was my MOM. Superb at everything and might just give Aarons a run for his money with that form.

Byram read Sterling like a book. Incredible.

No mention of Amadou. Bloke playing slightly out of position and turns in such an amazing performance. Wouldn't single out any player as MOTM as this performance showed the world that we can play, we are a team and we are amazing.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

No mention of Amadou. Bloke playing slightly out of position and turns in such an amazing performance. Wouldn't single out any player as MOTM as this performance showed the world that we can play, we are a team and we are amazing.

Amadou was singled out on Talksport and got their MOTM for stepping in for his debut in a position thats not his normal position. 

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Totally agree Keelan, thought Amadou was immense today. He tackled, blocked, headed, threw his body in the way of everything and helped Godfrey a couple times when he was in trouble. Epitomised everything that was great about our performance today 🙂

Amadou was superb considering this was his first start.

Buendia is back to his best and during the first half found his mojo and then he really turned it all on! Mark my words MOTD in the up coming weeks will highlight him more and more.

Stepermann was something like we know he can be and a thorn in their side with his awkward style and play. He adds a dimension we need. He and EB for me are back to where we would like them to be performance wise, it could be a good season.

Byram was that good I honestly thought Max Aarons had started.

The rest of the team were just immense.

Very harsh on Stiepermann. I've been a bit critical of him so far this season but my god he put a shift in today, he was immense. 

I'd give em all tens but Amadou and Byram get an 11.

I would say Amadou was the most glad to get to the dressing room at full time and empty his back pockets of Man City's forward line!

• Haha 1

I would say Amadou was the most glad to get to the dressing room at full time and empty his back pockets of Man City's forward line!

I'm going to use that one at Golf tomorrow:classic_biggrin:

After having digested the result, I'll give my proper ratings:

Krul 6.5: Strangely, he didn't really have much to do for most of the game. He was called into action more towards the end with a few shots and crosses, which he dealt with very well in the main, but he should've done better with Man City's second goal.

Byram 8.0: Dealt with probably the best player in the division right now so well Guardiola had to move him to the other flank. Gave very little away defensively and looked assured with the ball.

Amadou 8.0: Considering he wasn't in his natural position, he was fantastic. Generally looked after Aguero very well and that interception late in the second half was crucial. Comfortable in possession as you'd expect from a midfielder.

Godfrey 7.5: Did well again, although when Aguero got free it generally seemed to be from Godfrey- but there's no shame in losing a world class striker a couple of times over 90 minutes. Showed the passing ability of a playmaker.

Lewis 8.5: Neither winger got any change out of him all game. Didn't have the opportunity to get forward like usual but retained the ball well when he had it.

Tettey 8.0: For someone lacking in match practice he was brilliant in midfield. Held things together so well and didn't allow a group world class midfielders to have any real opportunities to create or find space.

McLean 8.0: Didnt do a huge amount with the ball, but defended extremely well and, like Tettey, didn't let Man City's midfielders pull any strings. A very good run and header for the first goal. 

Buendia 8.5: Finally showed that he belongs at this level. Close control and tight dribbling to retain possession under pressure, and passed the ball well as always. Impeccable work rate without the ball and most importantly, contributed two assists. 

Stiepermann 8.0: Also had his best game of the season by a distance. Didn't make an assist, but two excellent passes released Pukki for the second goal and the chance just before the third. Did the defensively side of his game very well too.

Cantwell 8.0: Scored a goal and showed some nice touches in possession. Worked incredibly hard tracking back and is growing as a player all the time.

Pukki 8.5: Excellent assist for the second goal and took the third very well- although he should've done better with the chance just before. Defended from the front, made intelligent runs and held the ball up when he needed to. 

Subs: N/A.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2019 at 19:24, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Krul: 10.0

Byram: 10.0

Amadou: 10.0

Godfrey: 10.0

Lewis: 10.0

Tettey: 10.0

McLean: 10.0

Buendia: 10.0

Stiepermann: 10.0

Cantwell: 10.0

Pukki: 10.0

Better this week? 😉

Correct.

Having revisited this... your player ratings gave an overall team rating as 7.95 - sorry but I can't have that (I know you use Italian ratings but you use the same 'average' threshold as me..)! FWIW here are mine!

Krul - 8.5. Didn't have anything exceptional to do, but looked absolutely secure in every pressure situation; coming for crosses, playing out from the back etc I was never in doubt with him. Also did well to hold on to a couple of shots towards the end which easily could've been spilt.

Lewis - 9. Agree with your summary Wacky - a very very solid display defensively, always sharp in possession but understandably without the usual attacking freedoms, did try to make overlapping runs where he could however but he was very limited with when he able to do this.

Godfrey - 9. Courageous with the ball at his feet and also made countless important blocks and clearances in the second half - he has a real knack of being in the right place to get a foot in in a positional sense and also ALWAYS makes the block. Undoubtedly will be playing for England soon...

Amadou - 8.5. First few moments with the ball he looked a bit shaky (understandably so) but his confidence grew as the game went on. Enjoyed his Bassong-style foray forwards in the second half but unfortunately he lost the ball at which point I was screaming at him to GET BACK... Did really well to anticipate crosses / passes and nick possession back on numerous occasions and was also a physical threat defensively in the air. Was really impressed with a through ball he stopped in the second half during a Man City breakaway, he lost his balance trying to track Sterling with the ball at the edge of the area, but still managed to cut the pass out to his right with a flailing leg. Really strong performance overall.

Bryam - 9. Really impressed with him, from the start he halted Sterling again and again - the fact Sterling had to switch wings towards the end of the first half says it all! He looked like a man on a mission and every 50/50 tackle was approached with real determination. Also showed some good touches on the wing to retain possession but we will wait to see how much he can offer offensively in the next match. Aarons may struggle to get back in!

Tettey - 8.5. Always in the right place to protect the defence, one or two hairy moments in possession but generally came out on top. Did not extend himself too much and kept things very Tettey which is exactly what was needed.

McLean - 9. Great header for the goal, looked really up for it - I thought he was a key man in terms of bringing the ball out from the back; linking the defence to the midfield and he also had the confidence to drive past players and open up space for the pass.

Buendia - 9.5. Thought this was comfortably his best performance for us of the season so far and possibly ever... he was an absolute terrier when they had the ball, always harrying and wrestling to win it back. He is a bit terrifying at times as his aggression often makes him look a yellow card / red card risk. However, this edge makes him special - the amount of times he pinched the ball surprisingly or retained possession in an unorthodox and strong manner - he may be small but he sure knows how to get stuck in! Great cross for the first goal and unselfish for the third. His performance had everything but a goal!

Steipermann - 8.5. Not as involved as Buendia, but he used the ball really well when he managed to get possession and slipped through Pukki twice with perfect passes. He also hustled and harried the City players well - did not overly commit to the press and remained mature and sensible in his defensive position. Loved seeing him pumped up and getting the crowd going before McLean's header. Another player who looked really up for the fight.

Cantwell - 8.5. Was involved in some of our nicest passing moves in the first half bringing it out from the back, a bit quieter in the second half but understandably so given the pressure we were under. As said across the board a completely different player this season - very happy he got the goal.

Pukki - 9. Did very well with the chances presented to him, the pass to Cantwell was sublime - he even fooled me into thinking he was shooting! Great finish for the second too. Looked a constant menace for the City players to have to deal with him both with and without the ball. Every time we got into a dangerous area between their midfield and defence he was on his bike and always looked like he could be on for the 1 on 1 in behind, always so lively!

Okay so not heaps more than yours but overall a team rating of 8.82 - sounds more like it!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Having revisited this... your player ratings gave an overall team rating as 7.95 - sorry but I can't have that (I know you use Italian ratings but you use the same 'average' threshold as me..)! FWIW here are mine!

Okay so not heaps more than yours but overall a team rating of 8.82 - sounds more like it!

I think you're reading a bit too much into the numbers as the important thing is the consistency (something which player ratings in the English media have a complete lack of) but I'm happy to see people get involved with the discussion.

It seems we're on the same wavelength anyway, apart from Krul and possibly Godfrey.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think you're reading a bit too much into the numbers as the important thing is the consistency (something which player ratings in the English media have a complete lack of) but I'm happy to see people get involved with the discussion.

It seems we're on the same wavelength anyway, apart from Krul and possibly Godfrey.

Hmmm I see cheers for that Wacky - perhaps I should familiarise myself more with your approach because this could get repetitive across the season...

To be fair I'd agree with wacky on krul. He did do somethings well, but he didn't have a huge amount to do that wasn't routine and did concede twice, the second of which he got a big hand to and will have been disappointed not to have kept out.

I applaud the attempt wacky. Very hard to be objective in such circumstances but I honestly feel that you might have swung too far the other way with some of these. Krul getting 6.5 for instance seems very hard on him. His positioning and command of the area was superb. His only real mistake was not saving rodris shot that he got a good hand to. Hardly a 6.5 performance more like a 9.

Similarly Amadous rating of 8 seems low given he was immense as was Godfrey (although I concede that both could have done better for Agueros goal) both deserve  at least 9s as well. Really tough to pick a man of the match. Too many had amazing games. Tettey wound back the clock and was terrific. Buendia back to his magical best and steeps looked his usual awkward to play against self from last year. Special about out to Byram for completely negating sterling through the first half. I did think he found a little more joy against Lewis but not much more.

This was a win for the ages. If you are not going to give every man on that pitch a 10 purely for securing that result then when would you?

On the replays I've seen Krul has 2 defenders between him and the ball for the 2nd goal so sees it late, pretty normal for a shot from range through a crowded penalty area. What was more important were his saves from the Otamendi header and the quick gather of the spinning ball when sterling was lurking with intent early on. 

no one below an 8 for me - immense performance and the team ethic was monstorous.

Stand outs were

Emi (my motm) - back to his best and,. like steipi & cantwell, covered so much ground in midfield giving that 5 man midfield sheild squeezing the sapce out of their play (as west ham did us two weeks ago) while still breaking forward with pace skill and purpose. 

Amadou (what a beast) colossal in an unfamilar position;  showed he is comfortable on the ball and I cant wait to see him in the CDM position - struck up very solid partnership with Godfrey.

Both full back -   Byram rightly getting the praise for a defensively solid performance,  but Lewis was just as strong on the other side against some very talented players.

Still pinching myself;  need to follow it up next week at the more physical Turf Moor

6 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

On the replays I've seen Krul has 2 defenders between him and the ball for the 2nd goal so sees it late, pretty normal for a shot from range through a crowded penalty area. What was more important were his saves from the Otamendi header and the quick gather of the spinning ball when sterling was lurking with intent early on. 

Doesn't really make a difference that he saw it late, he saw it early enough to get down to it and get a good hand to it but didn't keep it out- he'll be disappointed in himself for that one. That being said his save from Otamendi was key and generally he looked in command when behind a makeshift defence. 

Any pundit who gives Byram or Amadou MOM is naive - they should be looking at the entire football match to base an opinion. We didn't draw the game 0-0 we won it.

My ratings (from lowest to highest):

8- Krul: kept his eye on the ball, made the right decisions which gave me entire confidence of him. Could have stopped the 2nd Man City goal some say - why not give some credit to the shot of the 60mil player.

8- Tettey, Godfrey, Lewis, Amadou, Byram. All got their share of headers, blocks and crucial tackles in. Amadou playing out of position did carry the ball out of defence a couple of times surprising and beating players but spoiling things by giving the ball away with bad passes, still retains 8.  Byram playing his first game won many individual duels with Sterling. But our right-hand side of the defence - his side was where Man City had most joy. Without being too critical - Bryam failed to stop a few crosses and let Sterling beat him to a cross which hit the post. So good deeds very much highlighted but bad ones not so as they did not lead to goals. Lucky to retain 8.

8. Steipermann - Attacked and defended well. No loose passes. Real good vision to put Pukki away for the shot that Pukki missed.

8.5 - McLean - given the extra .5 due to scoring. Tackled well without errors.

8.5 - Cantwell - being part of the attacking quartet gave Man City problems with his trickery and movement. Stuck to his defensive duties well always harassing his man.

9 - Pukki - Scored one goal and setup another. His usual "complete" performance but not MOM this time due to missing one shot, almost blocking Rodri's shot for the 2nd Man City goal but not quite achieving that and, also the MOM was exceptional.

9.5 + - Buendia (MOM) - this player's performance won us the match. Setup the 1st and 3rd goals, initiated the 2nd by bamboozling the Man City midfield. Was the focal point in most of our attacks. Full of energy - challenged, pressed and tackled for the entire time he was on the pitch. Was missed defensively when Drmic replaced him for those last minutes which resulted in our right-hand side looking like "open country" for Man City.