Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Jack Rodwell

Converted into a ball playing centre back last season, available on a free. 

If any man can save his career it is Farke. 

Trybull and Leitner came here with a bad rep.

As long as it was only a deal until the end of the season with the option to extend I'd say it was a gamble worth taking. 

Just now, Samwam27 said:

Where was he last playing?

Blackburn but he rejected new deal, linked with Olympiacos and Torino since then. It's the best I can come up with, and trust me I've tried. 

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Converted into a ball playing centre back last season, available on a free. 

If any man can save his career it is Farke. 

Trybull and Leitner came here with a bad rep.

As long as it was only a deal until the end of the season with the option to extend I'd say it was a gamble worth taking. 

Can we sign any frees after naming a full squad? 

You have to assume Farke n Webber know the situation and if they can sign a free agent they will. But you also assume they have to like them, which hasn't happened yet lol

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Can we sign any frees after naming a full squad? 

We didn't name a full squad: only three Premier League teams have a full 25-man squad. We have no non-homegrown spaces but Rodwell is homegrown.

Whether or not he's good enough I don't know, but he's homegrown, has played football before and is able to walk so he's better than nothing.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We didn't name a full squad: only three Premier League teams have a full 25-man squad. We have no non-homegrown spaces but Rodwell is homegrown.

Whether or not he's good enough I don't know, but he's homegrown, has played football before and is able to walk so he's better than nothing.

Some of the younger players, such as Aarons, don't count to the 25, so I think we have three homegrown places available. I am pretty sure the intention wasn't to go for a free agent but the situation has turned bizarrely bad, so I guess one such might be considered.

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Ah ok, I see, I’ve not seen the squad, just seen a lot of talk. He’s got to be worth a look.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Some of the younger players, such as Aarons, don't count to the 25, so I think we have three homegrown places available. I am pretty sure the intention wasn't to go for a free agent but the situation has turned bizarrely bad, so I guess one such might be considered.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Or not...😚

Just revisiting this one.

Would be really be any worse than Amadou was yesterday?

He would at least enable Amadou to move to his natural position, and when Hanley is fully fit can just sit on the bench for emergencies?

I don't see what we have to lose. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just watch Sunderland till I die, then you will get your answer. Trust Webber etc to find someone if there is anyone who could do a job short term.

Trybull, Vrancic, Tettey should be back after the break as should Krul and/or Farhmann - with Trybull and Tettey adding a bit more muscle to the 'defence'

but a 'top gap' centre back would not go amiss as there is not any certainty that Godfrey will be fit after his op and either him or Am a doo do won't suffer an injury, sending off

the squad below would suggest we have the maximum (17) players who are not regarded as home grown, so any addition would have to come from the limited pool home grown players who are out of contract

otherwise it might be down to either Byram or Heise having to move sideways into the centtre of the defence, unless Steiperman can re-aprise his Paul Madely role as a utility player and stand in

1. Grant Hanley(HG)
  2. Tim Krul(HG)
  3. Alexander Tettey
  4. Timm Klose
  5. Michael McGovern
  6. Mario Vrancic
  7. Christoph Zimmermann
  8. Tom Trybull
  9. Marco Stiepermann
  10. Onel Hernandez
  11. Dennis Srbeny
  12. Kenny McLean
  13. Emi Buendia
  14. Moritz Leitner
  15. Teemu Pukki
  16. Philip Heise
  17. Patrick Roberts??(HG)??(On Loan)
  18. Josip Drmic
  19. Ralf Fahrmann(On Loan)
  20. Sam Byram(HG)
  21. Ibrahim Amadou(On Loan)

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we hadnt submitted our full quota of non homegrown players (should we have listed Klose given the length of his injury??) ,you'd have to think that surely there must be someone on that list that could do a job?

....but as we're restricted to homegrown ,its fairly slim pickings.

Someone on these boards mentioned that Djourou would count as one through his youth career at Arsenal?.....there's always Michael Turner further down the list !?!

You have to ask yourself why nobody has snapped Rodwell up on a free?

I’d rather continue to follow our clear model and give Famewo a chance, and slot Amadou where I really think we’ll see him at his best, but each to their own.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HB1989 said:

Just watch Sunderland till I die, then you will get your answer. Trust Webber etc to find someone if there is anyone who could do a job short term.

Yet Blackburn were happy to offer him a new deal last season.

Bit of politics at Sunderland I suspect, they were trying to get him to walk away from his big contract... I doubt they'd have made such an effort to paint him in a negative light if he were on £15k a week. Did they really want him to go back into the team and do well? With their debt more likely they wanted him to be desperate to walk. 

Remember that Trybull and Leitner came here with a bit of a bad rep in Germany for their attitude. 

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Probably because he believes he's too good for the Championship. Give him 5 games here and we'll find out. 

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yet Blackburn were happy to offer him a new deal last season.

I was curious about Rodwell so just had a quick look on one of the Blackburn forums for information about how he was regarded there.

"As an aside you forgot Rodwell. In fairness his time here was very forgettable. "

"I am always in favour of class players which is why I gave Rodwell the benefit of the doubt for so long."

"You touch on the centre backs issue, it is criminal that firstly we had last summer, where he got Rodwell as our third centre back, obviously that backfired"
"
Let's hope we have a free transfer lined up (but not Rodwell)"

"Out of curiosity would people be happy or frustrated at Jack Rodwell getting a deal? He's no centre half but I'm sure he can do a job in midfield for us still."

They go on and on and are pretty conclusive. I think we are best giving him a miss.

Edited by ThorpeCanary

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

I’d rather continue to follow our clear model and give Famewo a chance, and slot Amadou where I really think we’ll see him at his best, but each to their own.

What "clear model" is that exactly?  

Signed a 25 year old right back and a 26 year old striker in the summer. A 28 year old free transfer has become one of the best signing in our history.

I'd be up for seeing Famewo though, if they think he's ready... Do they though? If they do why have though only just put him in the squad? We've been playing a midfielder in defence for a month. 

13 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

I was curious about Rodwell so just had a quick look on one of the Blackburn forums for information about how he was regarded there.

"As an aside you forgot Rodwell. In fairness his time here was very forgettable. "

"I am always in favour of class players which is why I gave Rodwell the benefit of the doubt for so long."

"You touch on the centre backs issue, it is criminal that firstly we had last summer, where he got Rodwell as our third centre back, obviously that backfired"
"
Let's hope we have a free transfer lined up (but not Rodwell)"

"Out of curiosity would people be happy or frustrated at Jack Rodwell getting a deal? He's no centre half but I'm sure he can do a job in midfield for us still."

They go on and on and are pretty conclusive. I think we are best giving him a miss.

Would be very easy for me to compile a list of quotes from a few months ago off the Pink'un which make Todd Cantwell sound like a Conference standard player and a similar list of quotes from the same forum which made Moritz Leitner sound like the German Paul Scholes... So what do you really expect me to take from that? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding Leitner but I do remember Cantwell being unfairly criticised here after filling in for Buendia after his red card and not replicating Emi's red hot performances Which was also coinciding with 4 straight draws leaving a few fans on panic mode. In fact I said as much back In April

""He is not Emi Buendia. But neither in truth is anyone else in this Norwich squad. " True, but I'd add that until his sending off Buendia had been on fire. Even Emi Buendia won't be that Emi Buendia all the time. Unfair to expect Cantwell to come in and pick up where he left off."

So for me whatever you've picked up on this forum from a select time frame last season vs the overwhelming consensus on that Blackburn forum that Rodwell was a mistake are in no way comparable. I'd give any player signed by Farke/Webber my full support but for everything I can see of Rodwell and his history he's the antithesis of the type of player they'd sign.

Djourou if he qualifies as homegrown must surely be worth looking at at this point? We literally just need someone with a fully intact and functioning muscular and skeletal system who's ideally played in defence before as short term cover. Tommie Hoban who was previously with Watford is on that list too, has top flight experience and could be worth at least inviting to train with the team; if Hanley is now out long term then we desperately need someone as a backup option and I really can't see what we lose by at least considering a free transfer addition.

I would be amazed if we brought anyone in on that list, especially if the restriction is homegrown only. There are 8 games left between now and the transfer window. A player that hasn't played this season and no pre-season training either is likely to be well off the pace. It would require at least 2 months intensive training in Farke's gruelling regime to get anywhere PL match fit. Plus they are bound to get injured trying!

I would love to see Famewo given the chance. Who knows he might even be good enough to provide cover going forward so we don't have to splash out on another CB. However, I suspect that if either Trybull and/or Tettey are fit for Bournemouth then we'll muddle through with Amadou.

5 hours ago, ThorpeCanary said:

overwhelming consensus on that Blackburn forum that Rodwell was a mistake are in no way comparable.

I'm not a YouGov statistician but I'm pretty sure typing 'Rodwell' into the search bar of brfcs.com and cherry picking a few of the quotes from the results page isn't sufficient to come to a conclusion like that. Having just performed the exact same action it is 100% clear this is the full extent of your research.

You ignored the two posts bemoaning the decision to release him though, from August. 

Please note also that in my OP I quite clearly state that it would be a "gamble". Throwing an U19 player in at the deep end after deciding he wasn't good enough to play the last 4 games is similarly a big gamble.

If we can just get Hanley fit though.... I'd be up for Byram as part of a back three in a wing back system. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I didn't make a secret of the fact it was quite a quick Google. I will correct you though that I didn't cherry pick. They overwhelmingly consider him a mistake. 

We can agree to disagree. You believe he could be a gamble worth taking. I believe it would be an utterly terrible one. I've been wrong before.

Edited by ThorpeCanary

19 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Can we recall Sean Raggett? worth a look maybe?

I am not sure we can. Think his is a season long loan.

Admittedly I havent followed Rodwell  particularly closely in recent years, but from what I have heard, I’d guess he’d want pretty high wages, would probably be a disruptive influence in the dressing room and probably wouldn’t be much use anyway.