Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Handicap Match

If todays match had a horse racing style handicap applied to it, what would it look like?

Reduced player numbers or smaller goal at one end for example?

:classic_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, East Rider said:

If todays match had a horse racing style handicap applied to it, what would it look like?

Tim krul with kenny Everett  'brother Lee love' hands?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, East Rider said:

No idea if you're into betting or not East Rider, but there are always betting markets available which DO put a handicap on matches. The handicap is in the form of adding goals to one team's final score (or subtracting goals from the other team's). The most common way of doing this is known as an 'Asian Handicap'. As the name suggests these markets are far more popular in Asian countries than they are over here. The info below is taken from Betfair's Asian Handicap market this morning. The bottom line is the easiest to understand. Basically it is saying that if you add 3 goals to Norwich's final total this evening and leave Man City's as the actual number they score in the game, we are marginally more likely to win. (Hope that's all clear 🙂).

Norwich v Man City Asian Handicap 14-09-2019.PNG

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No idea if you're into betting or not East Rider, but there are always betting markets available which DO put a handicap on matches. The handicap is in the form of adding goals to one team's final score (or subtracting goals from the other team's). The most common way of doing this is known as an 'Asian Handicap'. As the name suggests these markets are far more popular in Asian countries than they are over here. The info below is taken from Betfair's Asian Handicap market this morning. The bottom line is the easiest to understand. Basically it is saying that if you add 3 goals to Norwich's final total this evening and leave Man City's as the actual number they score in the game, we are marginally more likely to win. (Hope that's all clear 🙂).

Man City minus 3 looks like free money to me.

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Know what you mean Ricardo - just to clarify, Man City have to win by 4 goals or more on that Handicap Line for the bet to come in. If they win by exactly 3 all bets are scratched and stakes returned. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm not a betting man TL although I have had a flutter on this game, the Asian handicap table looks complicated to my inexperienced eye, but appreciate the knew knowledge just the same.

I was thinking more 'agricultural type handicaps' than that.  Such as delivering a dead leg to every Man City player before each half?

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Know what you mean Ricardo - just to clarify, Man City have to win by 4 goals or more on that Handicap Line for the bet to come in. If they win by exactly 3 all bets are scratched and stakes returned. 

The Asian handicap overcomplicates things. What's wrong with a good old normal handicap where you can bet on a handicap draw? Or alternatively, just make the handicaps 0.5, 1.5 etc.

I noticed yesterday that Man City -5, in other words to win by six goals or more, is a shorter price than Norwich to win. That shows how big this task is.

30 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I was thinking more 'agricultural type handicaps' than that.  Such as delivering a dead leg to every Man City player before each half?

Manchester City have to play long ball football, with a rule similar to rugby league where they can only play five passes before shooting.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The Asian handicap overcomplicates things. What's wrong with a good old normal handicap where you can bet on a handicap draw? Or alternatively, just make the handicaps 0.5, 1.5 etc.

I noticed yesterday that Man City -5, in other words to win by six goals or more, is a shorter price than Norwich to win. That shows how big this task is.

No doubt that the Asian Handicaps can make things seem a bit complicated WWIAFTM - probably the reason why they're not so popular over here.

However, worth pointing out that they often do have the half goal handicaps as they're known. The top line of the example I posted above has a +2.5 and -2.5 handicap. 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No doubt that the Asian Handicaps can make things seem a bit complicated WWIAFTM - probably the reason why they're not so popular over here.

However, worth pointing out that they often do have the half goal handicaps as they're known. The top line of the example I posted above has a +2.5 and -2.5 handicap. 

I know what you mean... I used to be a betting shop manager and a worrying number of customers struggled with relatively basic markets and concepts so the Asian handicap would cause them to spontaneously combust.

31 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know what you mean... I used to be a betting shop manager and a worrying number of customers struggled with relatively basic markets and concepts so the Asian handicap would cause them to spontaneously combust.

🙂 You and me both. 

On 14/09/2019 at 10:54, ricardo said:

Hope you resisted the urge to go for some of that free money Ricardo..............😉