Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

DF: “Many injures players - more on the beds than in the field.”

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that either!

Yes, he probably shouldn't have been rushed back but we didn't have much of another option. I'm not convinced by Amadou at CB and this is reflected in Farke's thinking too (he didn't want to start him there, or in DM which we STILL haven't really seen him in yet). The thing is, players want to play. And if Zimbo said he was feeling OK to Farke then, fair enough. It was great to have him back for the few minutes he lasted!

We did look noticeably better defensively for that 20 minutes that's for sure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think though you could question the fact that one of them was Hanley who we were supposedly prepared to let go on loan and who we know is not really good enough at this level. Klose also has a poor recent injury record and we knew Zimm was injured., There was definitely an argument for perhaps bringing in a Cb on loan to bolster the numbers, 

We did - Amadou

Good god! 99.9% of supporters realised what we are up against with a fully fit squad but tomorrow is looking ridiculous now. Absolutely gutting to have this season hit this way with these injuries. 

31 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Only five Premier League clubs named 25, and most (if not all) subsequently let one or two of them go whilst the European window was still open.

EDIT: only two of those five let players go- I think. So there are three clubs with a 25-man squad: Newcastle, Sheffield United and Watford.

We can select any Under-21 player without having to name them in the 25-man squad.

This. It's very rare you need a fifth centre back: we've just been very unlucky that all four of them have been injured at the same time.

I'd be more interested in knowing how many senior centre backs clubs have registered to be honest.

Just looked at Aston Villa and Newcastle and they both appear to have 5? 

Also, Godfrey didn't actually have to be registered so we've only registered 3.... we could have allocated 4 senior spots to Centre backs no problem? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't think Zimbo should have played v West Ham and although I know he was done by a tackle i'm still not convinced that the fact he was not 100% fit and probably not as robust as usual did not contribute in some way to that injury.  If Godfrey has even the slightest hint of a groin injury he should not be risked, if he plays, aggravates it and misses a month or something then we really are in the sh*t.

Agree, Zimmermann was rushed back. If anything West Ham saw a player strapped up and thought it would be a good idea to give him a clobber and take him out of the game. Not saying they would have wanted him out until January, but with no centre backs on the bench and him going off early in the cup game it was always going to be worth a yellow card to them to do that (which the ref didn't even give!). 

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Hanley must start and if he lasts only 20-30 minutes then we cross that bridge then.

Absolutely not, if there's any inkling of him still carrying an injury then we wrap him in cotton wool and use him for the next fixture which is winnable. 

• Like 1

No, Hanley can’t turn and has poor balance, and is the worst fit for Man City attackers. Agree with TVB, he’s a much better match up for Burnley. 

Edited by Surfer

We're up to our limit in terms of overseas players in the squad (17)...so even if we did go searching for a free agent centre halves, we'te restricted to homegrown players. A worldwide market , there may have been someone out there? (Skrtel was mentioned last week)....but in mid September, you cant imagine a list of out of contract homegrown centre backs will be too lengthy or inspiring?

Ironically if there is one game where a traditional style Cb is not needed then its probably Man City. Having to play more mobile full backs in a 3 at the back could in some ways work in our favour. Not saying its not a blow and would ever be my choice but in some ways I think having none of our usual CB's against Burnley would be more of an issue as we are sure to face an aerial bombardment there. 

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Hanley must start and if he lasts only 20-30 minutes then we cross that bridge then.

This game is lost....even even we had our strongest team, lets not bugg@r ourselves up for the next weeks/months too by ruling out another centre back through taking an unnessessary risk.

So let’s turn the discussion. We know we are going to ship at least 2 against Man City, how many can we score? Do we just setup to attack and if it is 5 - 3 would we be OK with that? 

11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

So let’s turn the discussion. We know we are going to ship at least 2 against Man City, how many can we score? Do we just setup to attack and if it is 5 - 3 would we be OK with that? 

I'd rip your arm off..

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We're up to our limit in terms of overseas players in the squad (17)...so even if we did go searching for a free agent centre halves, we'te restricted to homegrown players. A worldwide market , there may have been someone out there? (Skrtel was mentioned last week)....but in mid September, you cant imagine a list of out of contract homegrown centre backs will be too lengthy or inspiring?

There is no decent homegrown centre back available unless Djorou has been keeping himself fit (homegrown as came through at Arsenal).

Has been keeping Timm Klose out of the Switzerland team for years.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't think Zimbo should have played v West Ham and although I know he was done by a tackle i'm still not convinced that the fact he was not 100% fit and probably not as robust as usual did not contribute in some way to that injury.  If Godfrey has even the slightest hint of a groin injury he should not be risked, if he plays, aggravates it and misses a month or something then we really are in the sh*t.

The pic. I saw of Haller's tackle on Christoph looked like an attempted leg breaker. How he got away with that is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

The pic. I saw of Haller's tackle on Christoph looked like an attempted leg breaker. How he got away with that is beyond me.

...and yet all Mike Riley can bleat on about is the penalty Haller 'should' have had....

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I'd be happy with that. Disappointing to concede three though.

• Haha 1

Wow, genuinely concerned about our chances of staying up, although it does raise questions about why we didn't sign another CB if we knew Klose and Zimmerman weren't going to make the season start. Absolute nightmare. And after 2 weeks supposed rest. Gulp.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Wow, genuinely concerned about our chances of staying up, although it does raise questions about why we didn't sign another CB if we knew Klose and Zimmerman weren't going to make the season start. Absolute nightmare. And after 2 weeks supposed rest. Gulp.

It's the price of premature success, aim number one last season  was stabilise  the Club and build up the squad  quality,  promotion wasn't on the cards last August.  The other double sided sword is that as the squad quality improved more players became involved in  international  games, so not much rest then. I'm more concerned about  our long term injured than what happens tomorrow.  I'm gonna enjoy the game though. **** em.

We fcuked up in the transfer window imo. Anyway Godfrey must not be risked if not 100% and surely one of our young CHs must be better than a 1/3 fit Hanley? If there not then one hax to question why they are on the books.

You never know, Amadou might turn out to be a revelation at centre back next to Godfrey.

A year ago, I remember being gutted that Klose and Godfrey got ruled out and that all turned out okay in the end.

Not having Aarons for a bit is going to be a real hammer blow as he is fairly integral to how we play but hopefully Byram can defy the odds and come in and get back to his levels of 2 seasons ago when he was being talked about for England.

We are down to the bare bones but not completely dead yet!

Saying that, if there's a chance we could get Djourou in on a free for a few grand a week on a 1 year deal, we should definitely get it done.

We are 1 Godfrey injury away from an emergency and i'd rather we took the pragmatic approach and got some decent cover in now.

Let's be honest, Klose and Zimmermann are basically out of the reckoning for the vast majority of the rest of the season so we need something sorting.

Say Djourou wants £20k a week, that's about £1m for the rest of the season. If that is the difference between 17th and 18th then it's a no brainer. If it's not, it's £1m which isn't the end of the world.

By the looks of things, he was playing in Serie A last season so appears to still be in alright nick.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2019 at 13:59, Petriix said:

This is perfect. Man City are bound to completely underestimate us, meanwhile we'll just bring in whoever this year's versions of Godfrey and Aarons are from our youth ranks. We'll catch them cold, pick up the three points and unearth the next two £30m+ players at the same time. What's not to love about that?

So, Byram and Amadou are the next £30m+ players, assuming we already have an agreement in place to make the deal permanent at the end of the season...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Petriix said:

So, Byram and Amadou are the next £30m+ players, assuming we already have an agreement in place to make the deal permanent at the end of the season...

Yep you got it spot on!

Reported we have an option to buy Amadou for £9m at the end of the season 😀

Looks like we'll have Hanley, Roberts available for Sat and maybe even Mario & Mo Leitner , though doubt he'll change the team unless any of them pick up any injuries in training