Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Rugby World Cup - NCFC fans in Japan?

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

Slightly off topic I know, but Mrs Wolf and I will be in Japan for two weeks from Tuesday. If anyone on here knows any NCFC fans who are also going to be out there, feel free to drop me a PM so we can exchange details and maybe meet for a pint somewhere along the way! We'll be in Sapporo for England's first game, and Tokyo and Osaka for the rest of the time.

Cheers,
Wolfie x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Hi folks,

Slightly off topic I know, but Mrs Wolf and I will be in Japan for two weeks from Tuesday. If anyone on here knows any NCFC fans who are also going to be out there, feel free to drop me a PM so we can exchange details and maybe meet for a pint somewhere along the way! We'll be in Sapporo for England's first game, and Tokyo and Osaka for the rest of the time.

Cheers,
Wolfie x

You jammy devil.......have a great time👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Van wink said:

You jammy devil.......have a great time👍

Trip of a lifetime... thanks buddy. Taxi to Norwich International will be here in five minutes... 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Have a great time.....As long as you aren't supporting 'Whales' the Japanese won't mind......

They'd be slaughtered!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hi folks,

Slightly off topic I know, but Mrs Wolf and I will be in Japan for two weeks from Tuesday. If anyone on here knows any NCFC fans who are also going to be out there, feel free to drop me a PM so we can exchange details and maybe meet for a pint somewhere along the way! We'll be in Sapporo for England's first game, and Tokyo and Osaka for the rest of the time.

Cheers,
Wolfie x

I'm sure you'll have a great time but two half pints (approx) of lager in Kitakyushu in February set me back @£15-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh a thread connecting football fans around the world. While enjoying rugby. Football is all about variety

For this football thread from the clubs website and while its not japan maybe its an idea to check

Asian Canaries- Asian Canaries brings locals that are living or used to live in Asia and Canary fans visiting Asia together to support Norwich City by watching the Canaries on TV in Asia.

Contact: Sean Morgane.pngseanmorgan@tiscali.co.uk

AND....they live in Norwich. Not Japan, but we need them on the forum

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/norwich-city-farke-fans-baby-17135521

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you will be able to take in a J-league game. Had a quick look and don't see any that work, but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2019 at 12:18, Feedthewolf said:

Hi folks,

Slightly off topic I know, but Mrs Wolf and I will be in Japan for two weeks from Tuesday. If anyone on here knows any NCFC fans who are also going to be out there, feel free to drop me a PM so we can exchange details and maybe meet for a pint somewhere along the way! We'll be in Sapporo for England's first game, and Tokyo and Osaka for the rest of the time.

Cheers,
Wolfie x

How was Japan Wolfie? Bet you're glad not to there now with the cancelled games an typhoon. Also have you noticed issues with the humidity and balls slipping through players hands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2019 at 13:02, It's Character Forming said:

Sounds fantastic, have a great time & lets hope NCFC are big in Japan !

Alphaville’s song, “Big in Japan”, prevented Norwich’s finest, The Farmer’s Boys, from becoming megastars. Alphaville were at number 43 in the charts in August 1984 and The Farmer’s Boys were at number 44 with “In the Country”, possibly their worst song, being a cover of Cliff Richard’s 60s hit. Alphaville were chosen as the first band on Top of the Pops that week-they eventually reached number 8. The Farmer’s Boys quickly slid out of the charts. 

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

How was Japan Wolfie? Bet you're glad not to there now with the cancelled games an typhoon. Also have you noticed issues with the humidity and balls slipping through players hands?

It was bloody amazing! Such a well-organised, respectful and helpful nation. I could go on for hours about it (just ask my mates!), but suffice to say it was the best trip I've ever been on (honeymoon included!).

We saw Australia v Fiji and England v Tonga in Sapporo, but we left our hearts in Osaka... my new favourite city (apart from Nodge, of course). Yeah the slippery balls haven't helped matters, but it's been a good tournament in general. Some of the red cards have been a little harsh... while they're correct in line with the new tackling laws, I still think it was a bit unfair to introduce such dramatic changes to the law so close to the World Cup; it will have disrupted teams' training and preparation significantly, having to essentially 're-coach' the tackle so close to the tournament. It seems to have hit the Pacific Island nations especially hard, as they tend to tackle higher than the Tier One nations in my experience.

Also had great fun watching us beat Citeh in a sports bar in Shanghai with my Citeh-supporting ex-pat mate... quite the experience! There were a couple of other Norwich fans in there, and we went totally nuts when the goals went in. Couldn't find anywhere to watch the Burnley game in Sapporo, but the Asian Canaries Facebook group managed to put me in touch with a bar owner in Osaka who's originally from Norfolk, so we rocked up there for the Palace game. Lovely bloke, brilliant atmosphere, and even managed to teach some locals OTBC. In return we're now signed-up Cerezo Osaka fans!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

It was bloody amazing! Such a well-organised, respectful and helpful nation. I could go on for hours about it (just ask my mates!), but suffice to say it was the best trip I've ever been on (honeymoon included!).

We saw Australia v Fiji and England v Tonga in Sapporo, but we left our hearts in Osaka... my new favourite city (apart from Nodge, of course). Yeah the slippery balls haven't helped matters, but it's been a good tournament in general. Some of the red cards have been a little harsh... while they're correct in line with the new tackling laws, I still think it was a bit unfair to introduce such dramatic changes to the law so close to the World Cup; it will have disrupted teams' training and preparation significantly, having to essentially 're-coach' the tackle so close to the tournament. It seems to have hit the Pacific Island nations especially hard, as they tend to tackle higher than the Tier One nations in my experience.

Also had great fun watching us beat Citeh in a sports bar in Shanghai with my Citeh-supporting ex-pat mate... quite the experience! There were a couple of other Norwich fans in there, and we went totally nuts when the goals went in. Couldn't find anywhere to watch the Burnley game in Sapporo, but the Asian Canaries Facebook group managed to put me in touch with a bar owner in Osaka who's originally from Norfolk, so we rocked up there for the Palace game. Lovely bloke, brilliant atmosphere, and even managed to teach some locals OTBC. In return we're now signed-up Cerezo Osaka fans!

Sounds fantastic, the respect bit seems to be reciprocated, love the way the players line up and bow to the crowd at the end of the game.As for slippery balls, I believe some have been rubbing babyoil on their balls to prepare for the big stage:classic_biggrin:

The tackling laws are fine imo, but there does need to be a bit more consistency in how they are applied.What has been really helpful as a tv viewer is refs like Nigel Owens who talks through the process of his decision making, tests what he has seen against the protocols, discusses the mitigation etc before making his decision, its a bit drawn out but for a viewer gives clarity about his final determination.I dont know if spectators at the stadium can hear this, presumably you can buy one of the ref microphone links before the game as you can over here?

Its so sad the way the whole tournament is now likely to be tainted by the cancellation of games, you must be pleased to be home before the tornado hits but I feel for the poor sods who were going out especially to see England v France, even more sorry for the Scotts if their game is called off.

For me World Rugby knew the weather was a threat, the fall back position had to be to have arrangements in place to move the game, or postpone.

Anyway, experience of a lifetime by the sounds of it, hoping to make a Lions tour sometime in the future!

 

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy a ref mic, but we didn't. The whole typhoon scenario is ridiculous; there's a whole week between now and the quarter finals, they could easily move the match to Monday and guarantee it goes ahead, even if they have to play it behind closed doors. Surely that's better than a side being knocked out by default?

And even if the Scotland game does go ahead, Italy have already been knocked out by default. Sure, they had to beat NZ in order to go through, but that's still theoretically possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You can buy a ref mic, but we didn't. The whole typhoon scenario is ridiculous; there's a whole week between now and the quarter finals, they could easily move the match to Monday and guarantee it goes ahead, even if they have to play it behind closed doors. Surely that's better than a side being knocked out by default?

And even if the Scotland game does go ahead, Italy have already been knocked out by default. Sure, they had to beat NZ in order to go through, but that's still theoretically possible.

Thats the problem they now have, I cant see how things can change now, a precident has been set. Connor O' Shea said yesterday they would protest, quite rightly, if the Scotland game was postponed and not cancelled should the weather deteriorate.He made a fair point, ok yes the obvious wisdom is that Italy didnt have a cat in hells chance against NZ however his point was, with the new laws, there is always a possibilitry that teams will lose players to the bin, or with red cards, and in an extreme version of that Italy may have actually won. He has a point, allbeit a bit far fetched.

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be disrespectful to Italy to suggest they have no chance of winning. Even if only a puncher's chance, to deny them the right to play their match means that they'd be in all kinds of legal hot water if they then rearranged Scotland's match. Even if they play behind closed doors, you'd think the organisers are going to be desperate to make it happen on Sunday somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It was bloody amazing! Such a well-organised, respectful and helpful nation. I could go on for hours about it (just ask my mates!), but suffice to say it was the best trip I've ever been on (honeymoon included!).

We saw Australia v Fiji and England v Tonga in Sapporo, but we left our hearts in Osaka... my new favourite city (apart from Nodge, of course). Yeah the slippery balls haven't helped matters, but it's been a good tournament in general. Some of the red cards have been a little harsh... while they're correct in line with the new tackling laws, I still think it was a bit unfair to introduce such dramatic changes to the law so close to the World Cup; it will have disrupted teams' training and preparation significantly, having to essentially 're-coach' the tackle so close to the tournament. It seems to have hit the Pacific Island nations especially hard, as they tend to tackle higher than the Tier One nations in my experience.

Also had great fun watching us beat Citeh in a sports bar in Shanghai with my Citeh-supporting ex-pat mate... quite the experience! There were a couple of other Norwich fans in there, and we went totally nuts when the goals went in. Couldn't find anywhere to watch the Burnley game in Sapporo, but the Asian Canaries Facebook group managed to put me in touch with a bar owner in Osaka who's originally from Norfolk, so we rocked up there for the Palace game. Lovely bloke, brilliant atmosphere, and even managed to teach some locals OTBC. In return we're now signed-up Cerezo Osaka fans!

What you on about? You've said nowt... 😉

Ps. Wolfie had an owl on his head for a bit.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×