Yellowhammer

Football and money

Football has been ruined by money ,there should be a cap on the spending of premier leauge clubs ,not sure I would like to be a man city fan as most games they know they are going to win it's just a case of how many goals they are going to get must be the Eaisest team.to manage ,just send them out each week ,I could do it .😀 would love us  to upset them 

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

Football has been ruined by money ,there should be a cap on the spending of premier leauge clubs ,not sure I would like to be a man city fan as most games they know they are going to win it's just a case of how many goals they are going to get must be the Eaisest team.to manage ,just send them out each week ,I could do it .😀 would love us  to upset them 

Yes. Indeed, perhaps football has been a bit ruined by money. But there are more and more interesting financial plans coming into play in football.

I mean, look at us. We don't spend much on players at all, but, now we're in the Prem, are paying good wages. We're not completely blameless but we have tried to disrupt the norm and been reasonably successful with it.

I wouldn't agree on your final point about Man City being easy to manage. Quite the opposite, I'd say, in fact. When you have a team like that, full of multi million pound players you also get multi million pound egos. Other managers had been there before and really didn't have Man City playing anything like a team. Pep even found it hard going when he first got there, but they have changed the culture now. This is another reason they are so dangerous. Not only are the players individually brilliant they are now well drilled as a unit. That's down to the manager and I imagine he had a fair few problems to start with and probably still does!

Edited by BobLoz3

As a competition money has possibly ruined the Premier League, not football, the championship is as exciting a league you will find. the PL the money has greatly enhanced the quality on display, the facilities and the brand of English football. Yes only a few select teams can realistically only win the league, but the same rings true across all major European leagues. I highly, highly doubt you would find many Norwich fans bemoaning the money if it were us that the Sheiks purchased and not Man City those years ago

To be fair to Man City they have Pep and players will go there to / and improve out of all recognition.

They also committed a huge bit of money to youth development for the English kids and stuck to it.

I also don’t think they spend as much as some of the others and often pull out of transfers if the club or player demands are to high.

2 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Yellowhammer, could you do a worst case scenario for us on Saturday please? Strictly confidential of course.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes. Indeed, perhaps football has been a bit ruined by money. But there are more and more interesting financial plans coming into play in football.

I mean, look at us. We don't spend much on players at all, but, now we're in the Prem, are paying good wages. We're not completely blameless but we have tried to disrupt the norm and been reasonably successful with it.

I wouldn't agree on your final point about Man City being easy to manage. Quite the opposite, I'd say, in fact. When you have a team like that, full of multi million pound players you also get multi million pound egos. Other managers had been there before and really didn't have Man City playing anything like a team. Pep even found it hard going when he first got there, but they have changed the culture now. This is another reason they are so dangerous. Not only are the players individually brilliant they are now well drilled as a unit. That's down to the manager and I imagine he had a fair few problems to start with and probably still does!

The question with us is how sustainable this model is long term. We're highly reliant on Webber and co having an incredibly high hit rate on recruitment for both the first team and youth sides. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

The question with us is how sustainable this model is long term. We're highly reliant on Webber and co having an incredibly high hit rate on recruitment for both the first team and youth sides. 

The advantage we have now is that we don't have to bring in a lot of players at the same time. That gives us a better chance of watching players for longer and avoiding mistakes. No one is perfect when it comes to recruitment but Webber and Farke will probably go down in history as the best our club has seen. They are also the best in promoting youth in the 50+ years I have been watching. 

The big issue is what happens when they leave 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Sure. I get that.

It's about establishing ourselves as a Premier League team too. If we do that, then we can afford some big money transfers eventually. Also, with the players who have currently come through, we may well be tempted to cash in even if we're still in the Prem. Again, this could well lead to some more 'big money' signings.

We've just had one of the most special seasons in the Championship in memory. We have had a few recently as well, including a momentous trip to Wembley.

We now have a season of Premier League football ahead of us .... among la creme de la creme.A season which began with a trip to the fabled Anfield for a televised game against the European Champions. Worldwide exposure. We have another televised game this coming Saturday against the English Champions on our home ground.

It might be tough up there, but EVERY game is a special occasion, every Carrow Road fixture is an eagerly awaited sell-out.

We might well be underdogs this season, but even failure (the worst scenario) when allied with the current sensible and realistic approach to the 'business' will likely give us another special season back in the Chumps sooner rather than later.

Even with relegation NCFC should, with the various PL monies accumulated, the sale of young players ... our lot as ever, but mitigated against by the expected continued success of the Academy,  be the wealthiest it has ever been as a running concern and without billionaire owners.

Yes money has changed the game completely, but the English Premier League is a worldwide phenomena that attracts interest and vast profits from it's exposure. Who would turn their noses up at that?

I seem to remember that the club were often financially embarrassed in the days when we had one televised game a year (the F. A. Cup Final.)

We were never very well off when Gerry Harrison was the highlight of the week on a Sunday afternoon for East Anglian football fans.

Now, one way or another, this exile will not miss one single minute, with the only regret being that too little of my expenditure goes into City's coffers (but that's another  matter.)

There are indeed some hideous aspects to the modern game ( high fees, ridiculous wages and debt-ridden clubs,) but, and in a roundabout way, I think that NCFC fans have done quite well in the last twenty five years out of  a game supposedly ruined by all this hideous money even though we have faced the wall on occasions.

Also, we've become too much of a yo-yo side for it all to be put down to luck.

It's 2019.The world is smaller, technology is bigger.

Of course there was an element of sadness about the Bury F.C. demise, but come on! Look how many other professional clubs were within flat cap tossing distant of that particular club etc. etc..

One way or another NCFC seem to be surviving, and indeed currently thriving, in the money mad environment that is today's game. Down the road (aka Poorman) they've sunk.

Cream always rises to the top in the end. It might not be the very top.... but it suits me.

Edited by BroadstairsR