Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

The Pinkun

Not a direct criticism of the Pinkun but I think they are missing Michael Bailey's more "humorous" approach. Paddy is excellent and always a good honest insightful watch but I'm not convinced by Mr Freezer, who, in my opinion, comes off really wooden. I'm sure he'll evolve into a good reporter but I'm not as invested in the Pinkun as I was. I find myself watching Michael Bailey's match reports and then the Pinkuns a day later as an after thought.

Leave him alone! They all do a great job. It isn't easy being a reporter on sports and some people aren't that natural in front of the camera. MB, who I know pretty well, is a rare case of being good both off camera and in front of it. This is partly why, I should imagine, The Athletic were so keen to snap him up. Also, he's a good writer of course.

Appreciate that we all miss Michael but let the other boys do their thing!

• Like 2

DF seems just fine. I haven't really noticed much difference. I'm sure he is putting his own personal stamp on his new position. Give him some time. They  also have an even greater workload, with one less team member, currently. 

Michael Starr: 

"Not a direct criticism of the Pinkun" - No, your post isn't. It's a direct (personal, and unnecessary - in my opinion) criticism of DF, instead. 

• Like 1

Second the support for David Freezer, he's not MB and wouldn't expect him to be. I liked Michael Bailey when he was at the Pinkun, but don't find him as good since he left - it's a bit like he is over effusive now he has a "better" job - and just a gone over the top with being overly casual, for my liking.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Second the support for David Freezer, he's not MB and wouldn't expect him to be. I liked Michael Bailey when he was at the Pinkun, but don't find him as good since he left - it's a bit like he is over effusive now he has a "better" job - and just a gone over the top with being overly casual, for my liking.

Don't agree with that. The stories he's doing for The Athletic are excellent. Way more in depth and way more interesting and well researched. It's probaly the fact he has more journalistic freedom now that he appears casual. I always thought he was pretty laid back when doing PinkUn match reports too. That's just his character.

21 minutes ago, makham said:

DF seems just fine. I haven't really noticed much difference. I'm sure he is putting his own personal stamp on his new position. Give him some time. They  also have an even greater workload, with one less team member, currently. 

Michael Starr: 

"Not a direct criticism of the Pinkun" - No, your post isn't. It's a direct (personal, and unnecessary - in my opinion) criticism of DF, instead. 

They don't have one less now as our ncfsc volunteer Connor Southwell has joined them today and will be great. Fine young man who has done loads of interviews for MFW and will do a great job at Archant reporting on ncfc with Paddy & David.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diane said:

They don't have one less now as our ncfsc volunteer Connor Southwell has joined them today and will be great. Fine young man who has done loads of interviews for MFW and will do a great job at Archant reporting on ncfc with Paddy & David.

Great News

2 hours ago, Diane said:

That's an interesting addition. I thought his interview with Webber was very good. 

Sorry guys, just an opinion, not a personal attack and, actually, I did say that I thought he'd evolve. I actually like Mr Freezer when it was the three. Let's see how it goes for them now it's a full team again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Leave him alone! They all do a great job. It isn't easy being a reporter on sports and some people aren't that natural in front of the camera. MB, who I know pretty well, is a rare case of being good both off camera and in front of it. This is partly why, I should imagine, The Athletic were so keen to snap him up. Also, he's a good writer of course.

Appreciate that we all miss Michael but let the other boys do their thing!

You missed out the most important quality. mbncfc is a PUP🙃

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Sorry guys, just an opinion, not a personal attack and, actually, I did say that I thought he'd evolve. I actually like Mr Freezer when it was the three. Let's see how it goes for them now it's a full team again.

👍 Nice post, MS. Although I quoted you earlier, thinking about it, my post was more a reaction to a few negative,  unfair comments made elsewhere about DF.  I was a bit hasty. I  think it's just a case of missing MB. I agree I liked the 3 together. 

• Like 1

Having invested in the athletic, I think Michael’s content has gone to a new level

worth the subscription especially as they are investing in both talent and the content 

certainly a challenge for local sports journalism to rise to. 

• Like 1