Well b back

Raheem Sterling

25 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Because I'm interested in this kind of thing Broadstairs - the current implied % chance of the outcomes from Betfair (the most accurate guide) are:

NCFC win: 4.65 %

Draw: 10.2 %

Man City win: 85.1 % 

(So you're actually a little on the pessimistic side 😉 ) 

Ah! But I didn't then have access to the following information, pointed out by Mr.Fuzzar and in today's Mail:

"John Stones is ready to ease Manchester City's defensive crisis at Norwich City

The Premier League champions have had Aymeric Laporte ruled out injured

That left just Nicolas Otamendi as Pep Guardiola's only fit centre back this week

Stones has taken part in full training and is ready to return from a thigh injury."

Btw. Why doesn't Betfair's prediction quite add up to 100%? Is there a remote possibility of Dorian hitting Norfolk over the week-end?

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The crazy cumbrian will continue to be comfortable in his idea that football is an uncertain business where outcomes of matches are not pre-determined in advance.  Everyone has a chance to get points off Man City every week and this Saturday is no exception. That no-one has done it in recent times does not make it wrong to think we can do it. 

Yes, some of you are star struck and that is fine, if that is what you want to be, but every match this season - just like last - is there to get points from and saturday will be the same. 

It is definitely NOT ok to lose a match, whoever it is and there is so much to gain from getting points on Saturday - the confidence it will give the squad, the belief it will give fans (and some of them need it) - and yes we can all say after the match that in the scheme of things, it will not determine our season if we have lost......but we have not lost yet, the future has not been written and the chance to state our arrival at the top table with a vintage Farkeball performance is still there and put a spanner in the works of the stats boys and the pundits who like to have the proper order of things kept in place, with clubs like us as the cannon fodder and the top teams lording it over the rest.

I hope you get your wish - that you can admire Sterling scoring or creating lots of goals for Man City because they are such a wonderful team. Are you Norwich fans or just football fans?  I thought when you support a team that they are the only thing that matters. Silly me.

You write stuff like this then wonder why most of this forum thinks you're a ****...

• Thanks 2

Yes, it’s a bonus for us that Laporte is out and Stones can have a mistake in him. We may get a consolation goal (or 2). Though our defensive crisis is far more of a worry than theirs.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Btw. Why doesn't Betfair's prediction quite add up to 100%? Is there a remote possibility of Dorian hitting Norfolk over the week-end?

It was just me rounding the percentages Broadstairs. If I'd quoted them to about 5 decimal places they would have added up to 100%. 

People can keep chucking insults if they like, that is up to them, but I have answered the op who has ridiculed it because he doesn't like what I said but which is pretty much the answer - you keep the ball and possession of the ball to the extent that you minimize the chances he gets. And the rest of them.  If we are going to be successful in the league we have to be able to control the ball and not give it away easily as we have done in previous games. Not easy, but the question was asked and I have answered it and I don't think anyone else has - they have been too busy fawning over Man City.

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

People can keep chucking insults if they like, that is up to them, but I have answered the op who has ridiculed it because he doesn't like what I said but which is pretty much the answer - you keep the ball and possession of the ball to the extent that you minimize the chances he gets. And the rest of them.  If we are going to be successful in the league we have to be able to control the ball and not give it away easily as we have done in previous games. Not easy, but the question was asked and I have answered it and I don't think anyone else has - they have been too busy fawning over Man City.

And you think we're gonna dominate possession against City. Very, very unlikely.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You get insulted because you constantly talk out of your ****.

First you admit that Man City are far better at keeping possession. 

Then you say you want a Man Utd 2005 type of performance. 

But then you want us to win the game by keeping hold of the ball. 

Well if Man City are far better at keeping hold of the ball, then pray tell how are we going to win it back from them? To keep the ball we need to get the ball.

And we beat Man Utd in 2005 not by dominating possession but by hitting them on the counter attack with Shackell and Fleming soaking up pressure all day.

We also beat Man Utd in 2015 by allowing them to dominate possession and then hitting them on the break. 

So you want us to play patient possession based counter attacking football? That makes sense to nobody but you. You are just talking guff. 

And the reason we should call you out on it is because them lot down the road read this forum and we can't laugh at their moronic fans when they can come on here and read this load of rancid shart. 

I'd agree that the only chance we've got is to hit them on the break, if that's what you are saying, bit it's not is it. You are sitting here suggesting we dominate possession against possibly the best team in the world. It's just ludicrous and in my opinion worthy of the insults. 

The thread should have been closed once it was said we need to dominate possession against Man City and limit Sterling’s and De Bruyne’s influence on the game. Utterly laughable and best ignored 

My my, TVB if you can't follow or understand a discussion, best you don't comment at all, let alone start up with the insults. I never said play the same as we did against Man Utd so I don't know where you got that one from. 

And JF, the answer is to keep the ball as much as possible and limit the opposition. Yes, Man City will be hard to get the ball off - but then we must take advantage of when we do have possession from free kicks, goal kicks, throw ins etc to stop them from being able to dominate.  I am not saying we will be able to keep possession well, or stop them  dominating, but if there is a way, it is to try and restrict them through keeping possession well - especially as parking the bus would be anti-farkeball.

I haven't seen anyone else try to answer the question, just a sea of people saying how good the opposition is going to be and we won't be able to stop them. So wtf was the point in asking the question "how do we stop Sterling" if the answer people want to hear is "we can't" ???  

I think some of you just think we should roll over and just let them have the three points so we can say "ooh, aren't they good". 

So....I've just done a quick scan through the thread and not a single person has even tried to answer the op, meaning I am the only one who has offered anything positive to the discussion of the op. 

Not a single ff...ing one of you.

So I think your collective moral high ground does not stand scrutiny. I've said pathetic several times on this thread, which I don't like to say, but the responses to someone who has at least tried to answer the question of the op have been pathetic - including the op himself, who maybe should have titled the thread "We won't be able to stop Sterling" and put a white flag icon up next to it.

Pathetic.

People are ridiculing it because we all know we simply can’t get close to Man City’s level of possession, never mind dominate it. And the answer to how do we stop them is simple, if they turn up and play at anything over 75% of their capabilities then we can’t. That’s the harsh reality of the situation and it’s nothing to be ashamed of and it’s not defeatist, it’s simply the reality of the situation. The answer to how do we stop Sterling equally simple, the only way we probably can would be to kick him out of the game 

Edited by JF

On 11/09/2019 at 08:19, lake district canary said:

I want to see a 2-0 against Man Utd (2004) type performance where their star players look out of sorts and we capitalise. 

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

My my, TVB if you can't follow or understand a discussion, best you don't comment at all, let alone start up with the insults. I never said play the same as we did against Man Utd so I don't know where you got that one from. 

??? 

You are talking on this thread about not giving the ball away against Man City, and you are citing a game in which we allowed Man Utd to dominate possession, soaked up pressure for most of the game and hit them on the counter attack with two goals completely against the run of play (or capitalise, as you say). Those are simply two entirely different footballing ideas.

But then you turned off an 8 goal game because you found it boring, so that may explain why you don't understand the difference between possession based football and sitting deep and looking to break, you would need to be interested enough in football to actually watch some games to understand the basics

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So....I've just done a quick scan through the thread and not a single person has even tried to answer the op, meaning I am the only one who has offered anything positive to the discussion of the op. 

So I think your collective moral high ground does not stand scrutiny. I've said pathetic several times on this thread, which I don't like to say, but the responses to someone who has at least tried to answer the question of the op have been pathetic - including the op himself, who maybe should have titled the thread "We won't be able to stop Sterling" and put a white flag icon up next to it.

Pathetic.

F uck off

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

??? 

You are talking on this thread about not giving the ball away against Man City, and you are citing a game in which we allowed Man Utd to dominate possession, soaked up pressure for most of the game and hit them on the counter attack with two goals completely against the run of play (or capitalise, as you say). Those are simply two entirely different footballing ideas.

But then you turned off an 8 goal game because you found it boring, so that may explain why you don't understand the difference between possession based football and sitting deep and looking to break, you would need to be interested enough in football to actually watch some games to understand the basics

Just give it up mate. This certain arrogant poster’s dismissal of everybody on this thread tells you all you need to know. There have been several good points made about Sterling and City, you included, but unfortunately the attention seeking Cumbrian has to hijack a lot of threads with his delusions and unsubstantiated waffle.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The reason I cited the Man Utd game was because of the belief shown by our players that they could win the match, nothing more.

I turned off the England game because it was tedious to watch. So there were more goals after I turned it off, well big deal, I had better things to do.

As for the basics of the game, football is not rocket science, which is why the best managers keep it simple. 

Oh, and for hool han solo's benefit, I answered the question.  No-one else has even tried.

46 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Pathetic.

You are getting yourself  into a lather  now  Lakeyo, Calm yerself down,  you can repeat,  moralise,  insult,  preach and patronize as much as you wish,  you're  still in cuckoo land.  You seem to be getting  crosser and crosser that no one will agree with you.

I just wonder  if say, I or someone else had posted along the lines of " Our possession  game can dominate and beat Man City' ....would you then  have lectured us about getting  too cocky  and ahead of  ourselves....on previous from,  quite  possibly.  

Wolfo nailed it, you're a  Contrarian. To which of course the answer is.....' no I'm  not'.  Predictable  eh?

Edited by wcorkcanary

LDC told us to calm down when we were looking nailed on for promotion. Everybody else was very excited (although it was wrong for us to be). Now suddenly, we can beat Man City and should be disappointed if we lose.

Chris Hughton was manager and was always praising the opposition. But according to LDC that is wrong (although LDC was a big fan of his).

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The reason I cited the Man Utd game was because of the belief shown by our players that they could win the match, nothing more.

I turned off the England game because it was tedious to watch. So there were more goals after I turned it off, well big deal, I had better things to do.

As for the basics of the game, football is not rocket science, which is why the best managers keep it simple. 

Oh, and for hool han solo's benefit, I answered the question.  No-one else has even tried.

The thread asks how we stop Raheem Sterling. 

You couldn't even be bothered to watch him tear Kosovo apart last night, so why should we value your input? 

You weren't even the first to answer the question yet alone the only person, another poster suggested we kick him. That's a perfectly valid suggestion and its clearly what West Ham did when they decided to go in hard on a strapped up centre back, knowing that we had none in reserve. 

That's not what I'd do for morale reasons, we're better than that, but its likely more effective than just saying "don't give away the ball" when that's literally what every footballer for every team in the world tries to do every Saturday. We're playing possibly the best team in the world, they have 4 possibly 5 world class players, that's more than Barcelona or Real Madrid possess. 

That's like saying "kick the ball in the net more times than them" if somebody asked the question "how do we beat Man City". It is a ludicrous answer. 

How do you become a millionaire Lakey? That's easy, sell 1000 things, each for £1000 profit. Oh, why didn't I think of that? 

If selling 1000 things for £1000 profit was easy then we'd all be millionaires, just like if stopping Man City from getting the ball was easy they wouldn't have won the Premier League last season.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You are getting yourself  into a lather  now  Lakeyo, Calm yerself down,  you can repeat,  moralise,  insult,  preach and patronize as much as you wish,  you're  still in cuckoo land.  You seem to be getting  crosser and crosser that no one will agree with you.

I just wonder  if say, I or someone else had posted along the lines of " Our possession  game can dominate and beat Man City' ....would you then  have lectured us about getting  too cocky  and ahead of  ourselves....on previous from,  quite  possibly.  

Wolfo nailed it, you're a  Contrarian. To which of course the answer is.....' no I'm  not'.  Predictable  eh?

You're a laugh a minute....not.  I am no saint, but I will defend myself when pushed and I have been pushed on this thread, mainly because no-one really wants a possible answer to the op's question, not even the op. 

Nil desperandum, we'll see on Saturday how far we have come in the last few weeks, difficult to see us playing our best with so many injuries, but Farke has done it before and he'll do it again imo.  Farkeball is pretty clever stuff and at it's best it will give anyone a match and if Leitner is at his best, we may be able to keep possession more than some of the defeatists on here think.

Oh I now see above that "kick him" is the preferred choice as an answer.  Well if that is the level of debate on here, I'm plainly wasting my time.

I'll either be hugely disappointed if we lose on Saturday and dismayed that we couldn't find a way to slow MC down a bit, or I will be over the moon that we were able to do something and get at least a point.  That is the beauty of football - you don't know what is going to happen beforehand.....although some people on here seem to be clairvoiyant when it comes to deciding the future....

self-righteous
/ˌsɛlfˈrʌɪtʃəs/
adjective
  1. having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior.
    "self-righteous indignation and complacency"
    synonyms: sanctimoniousholier-than-thouself-satisfiedsmugpriggishcomplacent, too good to be true, pious, pietistic, moralizingunctuoussuperiormealy-mouthedhypocriticalMore

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You're a laugh a minute....not.  I am no saint, but I will defend myself when pushed and I have been pushed on this thread, mainly because no-one really wants a possible answer to the op's question, not even the op. 

Nil desperandum, we'll see on Saturday how far we have come in the last few weeks, difficult to see us playing our best with so many injuries, but Farke has done it before and he'll do it again imo.  Farkeball is pretty clever stuff and at it's best it will give anyone a match and if Leitner is at his best, we may be able to keep possession more than some of the defeatists on here think.

Oh I now see above that "kick him" is the preferred choice as an answer.  Well if that is the level of debate on here, I'm plainly wasting my time.

I'll either be hugely disappointed if we lose on Saturday and dismayed that we couldn't find a way to slow MC down a bit, or I will be over the moon that we were able to do something and get at least a point.  That is the beauty of football - you don't know what is going to happen beforehand.....although some people on here seem to be clairvoiyant when it comes to deciding the future....

I’ve answered the ****ing question LDC, the only way we can stop Sterling with the tools we have at hand is to kick him out of the game. Your answer simply is fairy tail nonsense 

Edited by JF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

I’ve answered the ****ing question LDC, the only way we can stop Sterling with the tools we have at hand is to kick him out of the game. 

If Aarons is fit then perhaps what we should do is actually start Byram, get him to kick Sterling a couple of times but the plan being to perhaps get a yellow for 2nd or 3rd offence. Then switch him out for Aarons, who will have a slightly easier time against a bruised player who may not quite fancy it as much.

Could backfire if Byram goes straight in with the two footed lunge from behind though, may need to practice this on the training ground. Wouldn't want him to practice on a fellow Norwich player of course, I nominate Lake District Canary! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'll either be hugely disappointed if we lose on Saturday and dismayed that we couldn't find a way to slow MC down a bit, or I will be over the moon that we were able to do something and get at least a point.  

No offence but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Hugely disappointed with a loss but over the moon if we get at least a point? Why is there not a scenario where we give it a good go but are soundly beaten against a team worth however many times ours and can leave with our heads held high. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

A thread about England's greatest current footballer has become a thread about some bloke from Cumbria.

Common occurrence, and that's why people tell you to F off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If Aarons is fit then perhaps what we should do is actually start Byram, get him to kick Sterling a couple of times but the plan being to perhaps get a yellow for 2nd or 3rd offence. Then switch him out for Aarons, who will have a slightly easier time against a bruised player who may not quite fancy it as much.

Could backfire if Byram goes straight in with the two footed lunge from behind though, may need to practice this on the training ground. Wouldn't want him to practice on a fellow Norwich player of course, I nominate Lake District Canary! 

I like it! I’ve read some deluded **** on here before but anyone that believes we can take the lions share of possession against Man City is either a wum or just hasn’t a clue. We will spend entire segments of the match just chasing ghosts as they play Keep ball. I’m not a fan of suggesting we bend the rules and rough it up but unfortunately that’s all we’ve got against them

And further to the point LDC, some quick research through this season and back quite far into last season before I got bored shows that in the PL not a single team has managed to have more possession than Man City in a match. The last team to beat them, Newcastle at home done it with 23% possession. Maybe they kicked them about 🤔

On 11/09/2019 at 17:00, Feedthewolf said:

Of course they don't; he's a contrarian. The more people that disagree with him, the more he'll defend his opinion... and when he's hauled in enough people calling him out, he'll throw in a bit of condescension for good measure (see Exihibit A above: "I really think some of you have no idea at all.")

I had him on block for ages, but I've unblocked him now as he can make reasonable points sometimes. You've just got to learn when he's playing his little naysaying game, and then back quietly away.

Bump. Can't believe you lot are still falling for it. You will have noticed that he has now moved from condescension to butthurt whining about the insults he's getting. Textbook Lakey.

Edited by Feedthewolf

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Keep kickin’ em and subbing the yellows.... that sounds like a plan😀

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Bump. Can't believe you lot are still falling for it.

LDC is his counterbalance to the doomsayers. Often needed on here 😀