Well b back

Raheem Sterling

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Let’s be honest most on here would take a 2-0 loss and move on......anything above 6 is possible, Man City are a world away from us.

Its god for the club to have this elite standing and great for the youngsters to pit themselves against the best in the world.

Rather a 3-1 loss with Pukki scoring if you don't mind? I need fantasy football points.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I don't care that it's Man City.  I don't care that they might be the best team in the world, I don't care their stats against Liverpool were so high.  We play our best and we have a chance and that is all I ask of any Norwich team - to play our best, whether it's Hughton and his defensive outlook or Farkeball.   It's the joy of pitting our wits against all comers, whether they are an abject Newcastle or a rampant Liverpool, or whoever.  Building up Man City is just bonkers - yes they are a top team, but it's our players that need building up, not other teams'. 

To my mind the education of the last four games has been massive and a lot will have been learned. This week is an opportunity to show we have learned, that we are up to the challenge and will give Man City one heck of a match - hopefuly to the point of taking points off them. 

They have a great record and all great records have to come to an end and we are just the sort of team who could do it.

So I assume you are watching the England game. After the 1st 2 England goals I will ask you once again how will we stop Raheem Sterling ? 

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So I assume you are watching the England game. After the 1st 2 England goals I will ask you once again how will we stop Raheem Sterling ? 

Well I have forced myself to watch the match, even though it is about exciting as watching paint dry and as I said before, if you keep the ball well enough players like him can be restricted, can cause them to get frustrated and have not such a good game. So it's all about how we play, not Sterling.

On 09/09/2019 at 12:01, Well b back said:

We go to most if not all of England’s games and I have to say Sterling is simply sensational, he has absolutely everything, power, pace an ability to do something no one was expecting, he defends when his team don’t have the ball and he scores goals. It had us Norwich supporters discussing with some Newcastle and Sheffield United supporters how on earth will we stop him on Saturday. You could try moving 2 players on him but then his mates Aguero, DeBryne, Sane ect are not to bad either. Maybe he can get a slight knock tomorrow giving Pep the opportunity to rest him for a game.

This is what the premier league is all about on Saturday a chance to see possibly the best player in the world at the moment, possibly the best team in the world and an opportunity to see how especially our youngsters deal with him and them. Of course I am hoping for a Norwich win, however I suspect in years to come this will be a player just like the likes of Best and Ronaldo that you will be telling your grandchildren I saw him play. 

You could be right WBB. Absolutely on fire tonight . 

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well I have forced myself to watch the match, even though it is about exciting as watching paint dry and as I said before, if you keep the ball well enough players like him can be restricted, can cause them to get frustrated and have not such a good game. So it's all about how we play, not Sterling.

Keep watching. It does not matter how you play some players just destroy you.

As they just said on ITV Kosovo are not losing because they are rubbish, they are losing because Kosovo are trying to attack and Sterling is destroying them.

Sterling is on top top form. I'm looking forward to him attack our makeshift defence, especially if we are as naive Kosovo are in chucking players forward.

I’m not one to wish for players to get injured but a slight niggle for Sterling in this second half, nothing serious but enough to keep him out on Saturday would be appreciated. He’s going to destroy our defence on this form 

3 minutes ago, JF said:

I’m not one to wish for players to get injured but a slight niggle for Sterling in this second half, nothing serious but enough to keep him out on Saturday would be appreciated. He’s going to destroy our defence on this form 

That was my original thought in my op before tonight lol.

On the other hand although not there tonight we have the pleasure of seeing Sterling regular in an England shirt and despite LDCs thoughts seeing these players in real life is what the premier league is all about. It also gives the likes of Lewis and Aaron’s ( if he goes down the right ) the chance to show they are amongst the best EPL full backs.

17 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Keep watching. It does not matter how you play some players just destroy you.

As they just said on ITV Kosovo are not losing because they are rubbish, they are losing because Kosovo are trying to attack and Sterling is destroying them.

I've given up watching it, but from what I've seen, Kosovo are standing off England too much - we will not do that on Saturday. 

38 minutes ago, Well b back said:

seeing these players in real life is what the premier league is all about.

Not for me. It's all about us, not the opposition. Yes, we have moved up to the top league, but I couldn't careless who the opposition players are, it's the challenge for us as a team that is the excitement, not the prospect of seeing such and such player from elsewhere.  Watching at CR against Chelsea, the last thing I wanted to watch was seeing any particular Chelsea player, as far as I am concerned, opposition players are all the same - they are opposition and that is all.  Putting them on a pedestal is the last thing we shopuld be doing imo. 

The only player I shall be looking forward to seeing us play against this season is Maddison and then I will hope we are playing so well, his influence can be limited. The rest of them are not worthy of extra attention because the aim is to snuff them out of the game, so any exceptional player that turns up at CR will hopefully not show their full worth.

I do believe some fans only want to be in the top league to goggle at brilliant players coming to CR. It is about us, not them and if the opposition players do have brilliant players, I sincerely hope we are playing so well, they do not get a sniff or give anyone anything to goggle at.

31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not for me. It's all about us, not the opposition. Yes, we have moved up to the top league, but I couldn't careless who the opposition players are, it's the challenge for us as a team that is the excitement, not the prospect of seeing such and such player from elsewhere.  Watching at CR against Chelsea, the last thing I wanted to watch was seeing any particular Chelsea player, as far as I am concerned, opposition players are all the same - they are opposition and that is all.  Putting them on a pedestal is the last thing we shopuld be doing imo. 

The only player I shall be looking forward to seeing us play against this season is Maddison and then I will hope we are playing so well, his influence can be limited. The rest of them are not worthy of extra attention because the aim is to snuff them out of the game, so any exceptional player that turns up at CR will hopefully not show their full worth.

I do believe some fans only want to be in the top league to goggle at brilliant players coming to CR. It is about us, not them and if the opposition players do have brilliant players, I sincerely hope we are playing so well, they do not get a sniff or give anyone anything to goggle at.

I hear what you are saying LDC and to be honest if it's not Norwich playing I can lose interest quickly. However, I can remember clearly watching Peter Beardsley when he came here and thinking 'what is all the fuss about,' and then suddenly he rips our defence to bits and smashes in a goal at the Barclay end where I was, stunning display. The same for Denis Berkamp and his wonder displays here. And others who have graced our ground.

Sometimes you can not help it being mesmerised by certain extremely skilful players in live football and I believe it is a privilege to have seen them play live.

Remember watching Henry against us, amazing player that just glided across the pitch effortlessly with such pace and control. Even Suarez was mesmerising against us the little ****! If you can’t appreciate the quality that there is on display then I don’t understand how you can consider yourself a fan of the game. another poster mentions Ronaldo, for me the greatest player ever to have played the game, how could you not appreciate talent like that?

3 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I hear what you are saying LDC and to be honest if it's not Norwich playing I can lose interest quickly. However, I can remember clearly watching Peter Beardsley when he came here and thinking 'what is all the fuss about,' and then suddenly he rips our defence to bits and smashes in a goal at the Barclay end where I was, stunning display. The same for Denis Berkamp and his wonder displays here. And others who have graced our ground.

Sometimes you can not help it being mesmerised by certain extremely skilful players in live football and I believe it is a privilege to have seen them play live.

I can appreciate that and if you see a great bit of play from an opposing player, it can be admired for what it is, but what I find strange is the idea that seeing great play from opposition players might be one of the reasons for being in the top league.  The main draw for me is to see us playing well, not the opposition and I would be perfectly happy if I saw no great play from any opposing player or team this whole season. 

I love Norwich but I love football generally.

This is a great Norwich team so it's a joy to watch them. But I will also be looking forward to watching Kevin De Bruyne because he's the best midfielder in the world. Similarly Sterling is one of the most dangerous forwards and Aguero is one of the most deadly finishers. Etc. Overseen by the best coach in the game.

Even those times when Suarez scored for fun against us, we may have made it easier for him than it should have been but you still knew the guy was on totally another level to anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

Sometimes you can not help it being mesmerised by certain extremely skilful players in live football and I believe it is a privilege to have seen them play live

I'm not of your generation by the looks of it, but Luis Suarez has been the recent equivalent. 

In a strange way felt honoured to see a genuine world class player at the top of his game on two occasions. Just completely unplayable. 

Weird one but Tim Shepherd testimonial, Henrik Larsson had that special aura about him. Just one of those players that looked like that had more time and space than everybody else, because of how effortless it was for him and his superior reading of the game. 

Only perhaps half a dozen Premier League players at any given time are next planet good and I think Man City have three or four of those. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well I have forced myself to watch the match, even though it is about exciting as watching paint dry 

5-3, penalties, saved penalties, woodwork is as exciting as paint dry. Tough crowd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The first thing I want to see is Norwich win, the second choice thing a draw, and if my first and second choices are not available then I will admire the world class talent on display as a football fan in general. I think you’re missing out myself, though I’m sure all of us share your sentiment that we want to see that skill and class come from within our own players first and foremost. Fortunately we are assembling just that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I can appreciate that and if you see a great bit of play from an opposing player, it can be admired for what it is, but what I find strange is the idea that seeing great play from opposition players might be one of the reasons for being in the top league.  The main draw for me is to see us playing well, not the opposition and I would be perfectly happy if I saw no great play from any opposing player or team this whole season. 

These two statements aren't mutually exclusive. I'd say that for any true City fan, the main draw is to see us playing well, right? But part and parcel of being in the top league is that the quality of opposition goes through the roof. Rather than teams coming to FCR and shutting up shop like so many did last season, you see the majority teams full of talent coming here to play proper football.

Just as I enjoy watching top-level football when Norwich aren't involved, it's brilliant watching our players pit their wits against some of the best in the world. If we get a couple of those miracle moments against top-six clubs, we'll feel on top of the world - but by the same token, if Citeh tear us a new one on Saturday then it'll be a chance to see a Guardiola team at peak power, which is a glorious thing to behold.

I'll actually be watching it with a lifelong Citeh fan in Shanghai in the middle of the night, and I'm gutted to be missing it even if we lose 6-0!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just as I enjoy watching top-level football when Norwich aren't involved, it's brilliant watching our players pit their wits against some of the best in the world. If we get a couple of those miracle moments against top-six clubs, we'll feel on top of the world - but by the same token, if Citeh tear us a new one on Saturday then it'll be a chance to see a Guardiola team at peak power, which is a glorious thing to behold.

I can't agree with the second part of that.  I don't care if it is a Portsmouth, a Leeds or a Man City that does well against us, I don't want to see it.   You can marvel at the odd goal - such as Fostieri's last season, but generally it is totally foreign to me think of marvelling at any team playing us off the pitch, however good they are. 

Losing on Saturday would be a real sickener and even worse if they play us off the park in the process. I will be looking to see us play well and forcing Man City to look more ordinary than usual, showing that through our good play we have made them look a bit more ordinary. 

The very last thing I want to see or experience as a Norwich supporter is a top team doing well, however good they are. I want to see a 2-0 against Man Utd (2004) type performance where their star players look out of sorts and we capitalise. We did reasonably well against Chelsea up to half time, but it was a real blow to see them dominate the second half. So I will marvel at Man City everywhere they go and I'll watch their superb play on MOTD or whatever, but if they come to CR, whether they beat us or not, I do not want to see them playing well at all.

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I do not want to see them playing well at all.

I don't think anyone is saying they 'want' to see them play well against us.

I wanted us to beat Arsenal when we played them in their invincible run. Instead, we got run over 4-1. However if you just get beaten by a better team playing at the top of their game there is nothing wrong with admiring it.

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think anyone is saying they 'want' to see them play well against us.

I wanted us to beat Arsenal when we played them in their invincible run. Instead, we got run over 4-1. However if you just get beaten by a better team playing at the top of their game there is nothing wrong with admiring it.

Funnily enough that game was on my mind earlier and it still rankles even now, particularly the Zola goal for some reason. So, no, it's not in my dna.  You can say, yes, we were beaten by a better team, but to admire it is a step too far for me.  The pain of defeat outweighs any possible admiration for an opposing team.

11 hours ago, JF said:

Remember watching Henry against us, amazing player that just glided across the pitch effortlessly with such pace and control. Even Suarez was mesmerising against us the little ****! If you can’t appreciate the quality that there is on display then I don’t understand how you can consider yourself a fan of the game. another poster mentions Ronaldo, for me the greatest player ever to have played the game, how could you not appreciate talent like that?

He isn't even the best Ronaldo to have played the game.

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Funnily enough that game was on my mind earlier and it still rankles even now, particularly the Zola goal for some reason. So, no, it's not in my dna.  You can say, yes, we were beaten by a better team, but to admire it is a step too far for me.  The pain of defeat outweighs any possible admiration for an opposing team.

Zola never played for Arsenal đŸ˜³

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He isn't even the best Ronaldo to have played the game.

Nonsense. He’s far better than the Brazilian Ronaldo 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The very last thing I want to see or experience as a Norwich supporter is a top team doing well, however good they are. I want to see a 2-0 against Man Utd (2004) type performance where their star players look out of sorts and we capitalise. 

There's not a single Norwich fan on here who doesn't want to see us win, so why do you feel the need to even state that? 

By the way, Man Utd finished 3rd and 18 points off top that season. They were not the Man City equivalent at that time. They finished 6 points off second, won nothing and got knocked out of Europe early. 

2 minutes ago, JF said:

Nonsense. He’s far better than the Brazilian Ronaldo 

I disagree, two time World Cup winning Brazilian Ronaldo was a gift from the football god's and the best number 9 we've ever seen. 

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I disagree, two time World Cup winning Brazilian Ronaldo was a gift from the football god's and the best number 9 we've ever seen. 

Helps he seems like less of a **** too