Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Grim Injury News

We already know about Klose, but confirmation of seriousness of injuries to Trybull and Zimmerman is a big blow. An already difficult season has just got even more so. 

"Norwich have confirmed that the 26-year-old, who wore the captain's armband for much of last season's success, did suffer foot ligament damage in that challenge but are not yet able to provide a timeframe on the defender's recovery."

According to the Pinkun report.  Not something he's going to be able to recover from quickly 😞

1 hour ago, Norwich R Us said:

"Norwich have confirmed that the 26-year-old, who wore the captain's armband for much of last season's success, did suffer foot ligament damage in that challenge but are not yet able to provide a timeframe on the defender's recovery."

According to the Pinkun report.  Not something he's going to be able to recover from quickly 😞

I can't see what option the club have got but to see who is still looking for a club on the free agent list. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=3&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

have to say my confidence of avoiding relegation has become somewhat lower... These are vital pieces of our premier league puzzle...! 

I don't think a Hanley-Godfrey central defence will keep us in the PL to be honest...I hope I will be proved very wrong... 

We need a big lad at the back, Blobsworth. And you already have a shirt...

Edited by Fuzzar

8 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

have to say my confidence of avoiding relegation has become somewhat lower... These are vital pieces of our premier league puzzle...! 

I don't think a Hanley-Godfrey central defence will keep us in the PL to be honest...I hope I will be proved very wrong... 

I think a Hanley Godfrey defence could potentially keep us in this league if Amadou proves to be a fantastic defensive screen. 

It was probably only peak-Tettey that allowed us to get away with Turner and Bassong and made that pairing look so good. Although it probably also helped that only one of our full backs had to the legs to get up the pitch so they weren't left as exposed. Its our style of football which makes Hanley look this bad, Sheffield United seem to be getting away with a 33 year old Richard Stearman. 

My concern is actually that Hanley always looks like he's got a clumsy red card in him, and what happens when its 2019 Tettey having to provide the defensive screen to a midfielder playing in defence if Hanley gets a suspension.

Its not those two individuals that concern me, its the fact that we've only got 2 which concerns me. 

Its not just that area of the pitch though is it, with Hernandez out for three months what do we look like in the final third without Buendia? 

If Pukki gets an injury what are the chances of Drmic staying fit to deputise? Had a bad couple of years with injuries. 

We are just going to need a heavy dose of luck. Lets cross our fingers. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

We're 4 games in, we've played 2 of the best sides in Europe...... Toughen up.👊

Not the point of this thread, is it?

Just woke up this morning and had a nasty thought. My mind went back to the Stevenage League Cup game last season. McLean was the victim of a nasty tackle which got him on the ankle, but he got up and completed the match. He was then ruled out for over 4 months with the ankle ligament injury he had sustained. Really hoping that the situation with Zimmermann isn't that bad. 🤞

10 hours ago, splendidrush said:

We're 4 games in, we've played 2 of the best sides in Europe...... Toughen up.👊

Hasn't got anything to do with it ! It's the injuries , not the points gained that's being discussed...

I have to admit to increasing anxiety about the season with this roll call of injuries. Last year we simply flexed the system (in defence or midfield) and adapted. You always knew we had one or two players in reserve. Indeed, it was interesting each time to see them play when someone suffered time out. 

Now, with firstly, Onel out in bizarre fashion, someone who I really wanted to see in the Prem, how defences might try and handle such an unpredictable player, then Klose being out and barely being able to make a full game return. Now Zimm too (such an important on-field character). Then it's  TT! And all seem to be lengthy lay offs.

It feels like such a responsibility in Ben Godfrey shoulders on defence. Responsibility that has come half a season too early. I'm losing my pre-season confidence in how we might fare. And it's so early on to feel like this, that our season might fully get going only in December.

We are light on back up & I'm dreading Man City.  Have to hope for shocking weather or a very strong wind to even out the teams!

Dare say Farke will have plans.

Nothing that can be done but wait.

Edited by sonyc

I notice that Gareth McAuley is on the free agent list...

Hear me out...

He's scored more goals for us than Adam Drury ever did, the only problem is he was always on the opposing side when he did that.

Umm... Ok... On second thoughts 😉🤣

This situation is far from ideal, obviously. But rather than pay a free agent a Premier League wage to try to get up to speed with a demanding system, why not just promote our most talented young CB to be part of the first-team squad? That's the template we're going for as a club, so why not be true to it?

I'd probably move Amadou into CB before I gave game time to a youngster, but Southampton have always done well with the 'next cab off the rank' concept. Rather than paying £20k a week to a jaded journeyman who's well short of match practice, why not a player who has come through our Academy system and knows the club's philosophy and tactical approach?

As a centre back on the bench you're only going to get brought on in case of injury or a red card, so why not have Ciaren Jones or Akin Famewo or Timi Odusina on the bench?

Personally, I thought Amadou looked shaky at CB... I'm sure he'd grow into that role and our way of playing if needed but we're trying to force square pegs and all that. I realise he HAS played there and CAN, I just don't think it's his best position from the little I've seen so far.

It's really quite annoying but I guess there's not much we can do about it.

I'm not sure if a CB from youth ranks would come up. If one was ready, they'd have had some game time already in a friendly and gone on pre season to bed them into the first team.

On 04/09/2019 at 20:36, Thirsty Lizard said:
On 05/09/2019 at 00:21, Jobsworth Canary said:

Lack of spending coming back to bit us on the bum

17 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Not the point of this thread, is it?

An already difficult season has just got even more so. 

Talking about injuries is one thing, blubbing about how difficult it's going to be or what we could/should have spent is exactly my point. 

Genuinely bites a55 though. I don’t see what choice we have but to have look at promoting youth or free agents. Gone beyond a joke. And, whether we agree with Waveney or not, he’s right, a lack of investment in a decent CB has come round to bite us. As someone else has written on another thread the fact that we were considering planning on loaning Hanley our suggests we never thought he was up to the task. We now have a DM as CB and a rusty, old servant as our other DM option going into the next few games. You don’t need to wear yellow n green specs to see we’re up against it. But then, you can equally argue this season was a free hit when all things considered “we’re a year ahead of schedule”. 

1 hour ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Genuinely bites a55 though. I don’t see what choice we have but to have look at promoting youth or free agents. Gone beyond a joke. And, whether we agree with Waveney or not, he’s right, a lack of investment in a decent CB has come round to bite us. As someone else has written on another thread the fact that we were considering planning on loaning Hanley our suggests we never thought he was up to the task. We now have a DM as CB and a rusty, old servant as our other DM option going into the next few games. You don’t need to wear yellow n green specs to see we’re up against it. But then, you can equally argue this season was a free hit when all things considered “we’re a year ahead of schedule”. 

Equally we could have thought we have one backup CB, and others who could fill in at a pinch, so we don’t need Hanley. Or we could have had plans to bid for a replacement, or believed there was a suitable fourth choice in the U23s, or ....

All pure speculation.

.... or we could have blown 80 mill on a player like Harry McGuire and he got steamrollered by Haller and we'd be in the same position. 😉

How often is a fourth choice centre half needed but for cup games? The injuries sustained by Klose and Zimmermann in the last fortnight are just horrendous luck, simple as that. Unfortunately we don’t have the money to go signing top quality defenders, we just have to get on with it with what we have and be positive. 

• Like 5

As a slight aside, looking at those two England centre halfs yesterday afternoon, especially that donkey Keane, Ben Godfrey has a wonderful future ahead of him. 

On 05/09/2019 at 08:19, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just woke up this morning and had a nasty thought. My mind went back to the Stevenage League Cup game last season. McLean was the victim of a nasty tackle which got him on the ankle, but he got up and completed the match. He was then ruled out for over 4 months with the ankle ligament injury he had sustained. Really hoping that the situation with Zimmermann isn't that bad. 🤞

Groan.................

makes loaning out the belgian lad look a bit foolish now. We knew we were tight on numbers then as well. It should be him kept back and Idah sent out if we were keeping 1 here as we are covered up top

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

makes loaning out the belgian lad look a bit foolish now. We knew we were tight on numbers then as well. It should be him kept back and Idah sent out if we were keeping 1 here as we are covered up top

That’s total hindsight with respect, Jiggy.

Right now we could be in a position where all CB’s are fully fit, but Drmic and Srbeny are both out for months, and Pukki for the season, whilst Idah plays a season long loan at Wigan for example.

Regardless of whether we moved Hanley on and replaced him, 4 injured CB’s is 4 injured CB’s regardless of personnel - 4 central defenders out with Hanley only close to playing 90 minutes really is almost unheard of, I don’t think anyone can pretend they knew this could be a likely scenario.

• Like 3

I can't ever recall having four CB's out injured since 1976 - no doubt someone will correct me! But it is a highly unusual situation if it happens. With a permitted squad of 25 few teams would have more then four CB's so it's not a case of not a case of lack

of investment, just a case of extremely bad luck! Truly scary though facing the in form Champions with an extremely makeshift defence, and potentially a bit of a makeshift midfield. Hope they go easy on us!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s total hindsight with respect, Jiggy.

Right now we could be in a position where all CB’s are fully fit, but Drmic and Srbeny are both out for months, and Pukki for the season, whilst Idah plays a season long loan at Wigan for example.

Regardless of whether we moved Hanley on and replaced him, 4 injured CB’s is 4 injured CB’s regardless of personnel - 4 central defenders out with Hanley only close to playing 90 minutes really is almost unheard of, I don’t think anyone can pretend they knew this could be a likely scenario.

I thought at the time he had been brought in as extra cover while he bedded in for the first few months with our under 23's and played the odd cup game.

January would have been when i'd have loaned him out, similar to the position I would have put Idah and even Cantwell (at the start of the season) in. We knew Klose and Zimmermann were returning from long term injuries when we loaned him out.