Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Huddersfield Shirt

The 6th best selling kit apparently, it has no adverts on it. 

Now what is their status in the game, 35th biggest fanbase or somewhere in that region? Norwich fall somewhere around 16th to 18th I believe. 

If having no sponsor on the shirt sells that many pieces of Nylon at £50 a pop..

... Then could not having a shirt sponsor make financial sense to other teams? 

Probably not us right now, but us in the Championship may be a different story? 

Makes you wonder how much money having Best Fiends on the sleeve has actually cost us in shift sales... They can't be paying us too much? 

I hope Huddersfield can provide a decent case study here!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Never liked sponsors on shirts, and could never grasp how come the shirts werent cheaper when you are a walking advert when wearing one.Same goes for a sweatshirt with ten inch high lettering on it saying nothing other than the manufacturers name, WTF?? In fact the logo situation with shirts is so ott now that footy players are in danger of looking like cyclists.

I think clubs should offer shirt sponsorship packages for matchday shirts but with a deal which gives fans the option to buy sponsor free shirts. Even if it's at a premium. 

We'd get less money from the sponsors but we'd sell a hell of a lot more shirts. I'm not paying money to become a walking billboard for three companies that I'm not a customer of and I'm definitely not paying money for the privilege. 

Kit manufacturer logo is fine.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It's not the 6th best selling kit.

That ranking was based on google searches and 6th place for Huddersfield shows how effective the Paddy Power stunt was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanuts said:

It's not the 6th best selling kit.

That ranking was based on google searches and 6th place for Huddersfield shows how effective the Paddy Power stunt was

Thanks for  clarifying. 

Still, I dream of the day a sponsor free option is availabile in club shops. 

I have an old album somewhere called ' a fine city' featuring the roadsign on the cover and lots of Norwich indie bands on it. As it's a rainy day here I might go in search of it. Seem to remember a track called ' walking down London street'  circa 1982 ish I think.

I have an old album somewhere called ' a fine city' featuring the roadsign on the cover and lots of Norwich indie bands on it. As it's a rainy day here I might go in search of it. Seem to remember a track called ' walking down London street'  circa 1982 ish I think. Ha turns out it's 1981 and above mentioned track isn't on it. Doh!

Edited by wcorkcanary

16 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I have an old album somewhere called ' a fine city' featuring the roadsign on the cover and lots of Norwich indie bands on it. As it's a rainy day here I might go in search of it. Seem to remember a track called ' walking down London street'  circa 1982 ish I think. Ha turns out it's 1981 and above mentioned track isn't on it. Doh!

Walking down London Street was on an EP by The Stingrays, I used to go and see them play in The Cottage on Silver Rd.

Edited by TCCANARY

You're right! We were probably at the same gigs then, we went to the cottage to see/ hear the Stingrays quite a few times.  I have that EP somewhere too, got a feeling it's not playable anymore. Is my memory playing tricks though as I also recall a place called the Silver Tavern, did it actually exist?

12 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Walking down London Street was on an EP by The Stingrays, I used to go and see them play in The Cottage on Silver Rd.

EP called still in love with you, haven Found my copy yet but must be somewhere. Good time, thanks for the memory jog ,TC Canaryo. released 1980 apparently.

18 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Now what is their status in the game, 35th biggest fanbase or somewhere in that region? Norwich fall somewhere around 16th to 18th I believe. 

If having no sponsor on the shirt sells that many pieces of Nylon at £50 a pop..

... Then could not having a shirt sponsor make financial sense to other teams? 

Probably not us right now, but us in the Championship may be a different story? 

Makes you wonder how much money having Best Fiends on the sleeve has actually cost us in shift sales... They can't be paying us too much? 

I hope Huddersfield can provide a decent case study here!

They are sponsored though. By Paddy Power... They did this really clever bit of marketing where they put a huge, angled logo on the shirt and then made a video declaring they'd 'unsponsored' Huddersfield (as we all know, the logo can't be as big as they made it on the shirts. It was hugely ostentatious!)

Pretty smart stuff, as always, from Paddy Power's marketing agency.

Edited by BobLoz3

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

They are sponsored though. By Paddy Power... They did this really clever bit of marketing where they put a huge, angled logo on the shirt and then made a video declaring they'd 'unsponsored' Huddersfield (as we all know, the logo can't be as big as they made it on the shirts. It was hugely ostentatious!)

Pretty smart stuff, as always, from Paddy Power's marketing agency.

Ah, my apologies, I see this was mentioned above!

Point is, clubs can't afford NOT to have sponsors for their shirts and various other facets of the club. I think BYG mentioned it before but for the most part it is not the clubs making all the money from shirt sales. It's the manufacturer who gets the highest percentage. So, a shirt sponsor is essential as are other commercial avenues.

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I’m on a Facebook group titled “ punk in Norwich from 1976 to the present day” there was some discussion about that ep recently. I can remember “ walking down London street”, quite catchy

3 hours ago, TCCANARY said:

Were the stingrays a rockabilly type band? I have a vague recollection of an all dayer  in Earlham Park where they, the Higsons  and several others played, including Fireball XL5

22 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m on a Facebook group titled “ punk in Norwich from 1976 to the present day” there was some discussion about that ep recently. I can remember “ walking down London street”, quite catchy

They wrote some very good 3 minute pop songs, always just slightly different from other peoples tunes to be not considered a rip off, I think a young Noel Gallagher may have been at one of thier gigs and pinched the idea. 😀

Club, council, and community together on one shirt before austerity spoiled it. Be great if something like this could be done again.

extra_football_shirt_23836_1.jpg

Edited by NWC

13 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Were the stingrays a rockabilly type band? I have a vague recollection of an all dayer  in Earlham Park where they, the Higsons  and several others played, including Fireball XL5

No Rivvo, there was a Rockabilly band called the Stingrays but that isn't the band we are on about here. Sounds a bit naff but this lot sounded somewhere between the Police and the Buzzcocks.

14 minutes ago, NWC said:

Club, council, and community together on one shirt before austerity spoiled it. Be great if something like this could be done again.

extra_football_shirt_23836_1.jpg

Plus some massive Fila logos...

Why do people get so het up about a sponsor but never seem to be bothered if the manufacturer's logo is all over the shirt? Is it because we think the manufacturer's logo is totally cool and great? Because we've all had them forced into our eyes and brains continuously?

I think that's a cool shirt, but I see absolutely no problems with sponsor logos, sleeve logos... whatever! It all makes money for the club. Fine by me!

Edited by BobLoz3

Just had a quick look and I’ve still got a single by the vital disorders called “tough times”, I’ll have have to stick it on at some point

7 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Plus some massive Fila logos...

Why do people get so het up about a sponsor but never seem to be bothered if the manufacturer's logo is all over the shirt? Is it because we think the manufacturer's logo is totally cool and great? Because we've all had them forced into our eyes and brains continuously?

I think that's a cool shirt, but I see absolutely no problems with sponsor logos, sleeve logos... whatever! It all makes money for the club. Fine by me!

I suspect it is because football teams are sports clubs and the companies that manufacturer the kit are sportswear brands. 

I'd much rather a Fila logo on the sleeve than 'Best Fiends'. 

I'd personally love to have Adidas make a Norwich kit one year, yellow with the three stripes on the shoulders being in Green. 

We did of course once have a kit where the sponsor was the shirt manufacturer, Asics! 

Our 1981-1983 shirt had no sponsor, just an Adidas logo with the Adidas three stripes. A modern version of that would be class. 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I suspect it is because football teams are sports clubs and the companies that manufacturer the kit are sportswear brands. 

I'd much rather a Fila logo on the sleeve than 'Best Fiends'. 

I'd personally love to have Adidas make a Norwich kit one year, yellow with the three stripes on the shoulders being in Green. 

We did of course once have a kit where the sponsor was the shirt manufacturer, Asics! 

Our 1981-1983 shirt had no sponsor, just an Adidas logo with the Adidas three stripes. A modern version of that would be class. 

The Asics kit was the dopest one EVER! A friend has the white away version and it's super nice. Always jealous! Haha...

I don't wear football shirts to games or anything so it doesn't really bother me so much. I certainly don't consider them fashion (I have friends who pretty much only wear footie related garms, including ACN made shirts etc, and it's a bit much I reckon!)

I just don't see why people should complain about sponsor's branding, since that's where the bulk of money into the club comes from. The Best Fiends thing is a bit naff, but who really cares?! Take a hairdryer to it and it's coming off!

Why do we think the three stripes, trefoil, swoosh, Fila logo etc. is any better than a sponsor logo. It's essentially doing the same thing and marketing the brand.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a sucker for it! I used to collect sneakers pretty full on so I have all sorts of branded stuff. In fact... Probs got more Asics than anything else! Hmm... Maybe Nike!

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

The Asics kit was the dopest one EVER! A friend has the white away version and it's super nice. Always jealous! Haha...

I don't wear football shirts to games or anything so it doesn't really bother me so much. I certainly don't consider them fashion (I have friends who pretty much only wear footie related garms, including ACN made shirts etc, and it's a bit much I reckon!)

I just don't see why people should complain about sponsor's branding, since that's where the bulk of money into the club comes from. The Best Fiends thing is a bit naff, but who really cares?! Take a hairdryer to it and it's coming off!

Why do we think the three stripes, trefoil, swoosh, Fila logo etc. is any better than a sponsor logo. It's essentially doing the same thing and marketing the brand.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a sucker for it! I used to collect sneakers pretty full on so I have all sorts of branded stuff. In fact... Probs got more Asics than anything else! Hmm... Maybe Nike!

Dopest? Garms?sneakers? You’re a lot younger than the rest of us aren’t you ? 😉

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Dopest? Garms?sneakers? You’re a lot younger than the rest of us aren’t you ? 😉

Nah I just talk like dem yoot 😂

But, yeah, you guys were talking about going to see bands in 1980. I couldn't have done that.

4 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Nah I just talk like dem yoot 😂

But, yeah, you guys were talking about going to see bands in 1980. I couldn't have done that.

St Andrews hall was the main venue back then, along with West Runton Pavilion 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

St Andrews hall was the main venue back then, along with West Runton Pavilion 😁

Yeah one of my teachers from school, a certain Mr Gareth Calway (who was also, bizarrely, quite well-known for doing poetry about Boudica) was a regular at the pavillion. Or so he constantly told us! We were into our punk rock (90's kinda stuff) and he used to love telling us about his days as a punk, pogoing and spitting all over the place 😂

22 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I don't have anything against the club getting sponsorships, it just prevents me from getting a shirt because I don't want to be a walking billboard. 

I do buy branded clothes, e.g. Fred Perry and Penguin, but only the ones with a small logo on the left manboob. I don't wear jumpers with a giant Nike tick or 'Champion' right across the chest. 

There was a time when we had some decent casual clobber in the club shop and I used to buy the odd bit of that. Not a big fan of the 'Leisurewear' currently offered by the club. Can remember some classy Polo shirts a while back under McNally. Its one thing we could do with improving.

Go and look at the 'Adult Clothing' section of the Crystal Palace online store, some really nice polo shirts and jumpers with small eagles. That's the type of stuff I'd buy from the club. 

https://shop.cpfc.co.uk/clothing/adult-clothing/

e.g. https://shop.cpfc.co.uk/clothing/adult-clothing/polo-shirts/2192_eagle-navywhite-polo-shirt.html

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Go and look at the 'Adult Clothing' section of the Crystal Palace online store, some really nice polo shirts and jumpers with small eagles. That's the type of stuff I'd buy from the club. 

https://shop.cpfc.co.uk/clothing/adult-clothing/

Yeah and that just looks like Lyle and Scott stuff! Not knocking it though. It is better to be more subtle with branding imo.

Most of my clothes are nice, well made bits which don't have huge logos on them at all. I am a total sucker for fashion though as I've always been interested in aesthetics and materials etc. But I like neutral tones, like greys, navy, green. Quite simple and classic.

But I'm not a sports team! If I was, I'd have branding all over me if it ensured my team's survival as a commercial entity!