Sign in to follow this  
CanaryChris

We need to talk about Efan

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not concerned about the amount of goals we're conceding - maybe the type of goals we're conceding is a bit disappointing but equally we've had a 4th choice CB for our premier league introduction. We've also played Liverpool and Chelsea. I watched Arsenal keep 11 men behind the ball against Liverpool and they could have easily lost by 5 or 6 goals - in the end they only ended up one better than us. And that's Arsenal.

Careful. When I dared to suggest Hanley was fourth choice I had countless posters telling me that wasn’t the case...

57 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If we play more defensively, which is what you seem to be suggesting, then that is a change of style.  If you do not mean that, then you presumably agree with me that all we need to do is to carry on as we have been doing, but simply to do it better.

I think we do need to tweak how we play. i'm not talking about abandoning our approach entirely but it would be madness to continue leaving the defence so exposed. If the full backs are going to continue pouring forward (and I agree that is integral to how we play as it gives us our threat from wide areas) then he needs to play a more robust holding midfielder who is going to sit in front of the defence. That minor adjustment does not need to completely change how we play.

That plus players who give the ball away need to track back and/or foul the man, not just shrug their shoulders and leave their team mates to it.

52 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If we play more defensively, which is what you seem to be suggesting, then that is a change of style.  If you do not mean that, then you presumably agree with me that all we need to do is to carry on as we have been doing, but simply to do it better.

Jesus LDC you do frustrate me with your inability to read a post, grasp what someone has actually said, think it through and then respond to the point being made. 

Just read my post again and tell me where exactly did I suggest we should play more defensively.

But to save you looking it up this is what I actually said -

"Surely it is possible to retain our style of play whilst at the same time improve our defending, which can be done without becoming more defensive".

Now in my book that is a crystal clear comment that does not lend itself to any misinterpretation whatsoever.

11 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

There was also the cringe worthy correction when told he was the last man to score a hat-trick for Norwich in the Prem since Pukki and he said "I scored four." 

Seriously just Effin Eff of Efan.

Rant over...

As he was the first player to score 4 goals in the Premiership I thought it was a fair point-not cringey at all.

I just don't like his commentary.

Fair point about his 4 goals thing I was miserable this morning. But I am definitely not concerned about the goals against when 40% came away to a rampant Liverpool and three conceded to a good Chelsea team. We had the highest goals against for a championship winning team in the modern era. We leak cause our defence is young. We also leak because our style is to attack. 

Not to say we dont need to address things like turning over the ball too easily and our young team being exposed and somewhat naive. But I believe that we need to stand by the players and the system as it will take time to bed in and for players to make the leap that I feel most are capable of making given enough time.

Just thought Efans comments were either bland or ill informed overall.

Love him or loathe him he is here to stay and what was a miserable gits rant seems to have generated some lively discussion so hey not all bad!

Edited by CanaryChris

If anything I thought he was slightly biased towards us. The four goals thing was just professional footballer's “banter”. He did it for us at the top level and it came across to me through his commentary that he still has affection for our club. Amazing how different people interpret things differently! 

8 hours ago, Making Plans said:

And why wouldn't he point out that he scored 4 and not 3?

It’s not that he can’t, it’s the fact that how he replied with his one-upmanship just made himself sound like an arrogant 🔔 🔚

Can't see the issue with Efan to be honest - thought his comments were fair enough.

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

As he was the first player to score 4 goals in the Premiership I thought it was a fair point-not cringey at all.

And I was there! Great days! We were 1-0 down as well but the 2nd half was crazy; Efan took his skill pills that day. I remember a poor Everton supporting boy near me getting a smack round the back of the head from his dad after the 4th or 5th went in. Top quality parenting... 

OTBC

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Jesus LDC you do frustrate me with your inability to read a post, grasp what someone has actually said, think it through and then respond to the point being made. 

Just read my post again and tell me where exactly did I suggest we should play more defensively.

But to save you looking it up this is what I actually said -

"Surely it is possible to retain our style of play whilst at the same time improve our defending, which can be done without becoming more defensive".

Now in my book that is a crystal clear comment that does not lend itself to any misinterpretation whatsoever.

What you are forgetting Planso is that DF checks in with Lakeyo every day, before his breakfast to brief him on his every thought and then allows our Cumbrian optimist to relay said thoughts to us. DFs latest is that we stand a significant chance of picking up points( thats points , not a point) v Man City. We are fortunate to have messenger among us. Just had a thought, maybe he tells us DFs thoughts as inaccurately as he reads our posts.

Edited by wcorkcanary

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Can you imagine Shearer in the same situation, now that would be gloating can't stand the smug pendecho , who incidentally has never won the FA Cup.

They always do my head in, worst one for me is getting our German players names mixed up -Christoph Stiepermann, Marco Zimmermann, Morris Trybull etc...hence my username that mocks that and their description of Pukki always winds me up as well. How many times do we have to hear "Not the quickest or very easy on the eye?" like seriously, where does that line come from? Stating the obvious here but he's got decent pace and is a clever player with a good touch and scores nice technical goals, why the f does the not very quick or easy on the eye line keep getting lazily repeated? it's almost as if none of these ill informed morons have actually watched him play!

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

They always do my head in, worst one for me is getting our German players names mixed up -Christoph Stiepermann, Marco Zimmermann, Morris Trybull etc...hence my username that mocks that and their description of Pukki always winds me up as well. How many times do we have to hear "Not the quickest or very easy on the eye?" like seriously, where does that line come from? Stating the obvious here but he's got decent pace and is a clever player with a good touch and scores nice technical goals, why the f does the not very quick or easy on the eye line keep getting lazily repeated? it's almost as if none of these ill informed morons have actually watched him play!

I made this point a few weeks ago, after Pukki's hat trick against Newcastle, Jimmy Nicol said that Pukki doesn't score classy goals like 'a Robbie Fowler '......

I'm over it now 😡

I think we need to stop expecting former players to kiss our arses and show a Norwich bias just because they once played for us. 

In Ekoku's case he was only here 18 months and although he came into a fantastic side and arguably should be grateful that we took a punt on him and game him the platform he needed to get into the Nigeria side, and subsequently became an African Cup of Nations winner while a City player... 

... he played the bulk of his top flight football at Wimbledon, and he was one of those players that Robert Chase showed no loyalty to and cashed in the year after our UEFA Cup run.

I seldom see or hear Norwich fans talking about Efan Ekoku, so he hasn't been granted cult hero status from us, so how much love are we expecting from him? 

Actually getting into the Nigeria side whilst with us and winning the African Cup of Nations as a Norwich player probably makes him the most successful International Player at our club in history, can't recall any other Norwich player winning an International tournament while a Norwich player, he should probably get more love than he does.

But Wimbledon likely to be the club he is most fond of? Played there for 5 or 6 years, one season they reached the Semi-Final of both domestic cups, also played in European Competition for Grasshoppers in Switzerland.  Had a decent career for a few sides.