What a rubbish place to play football. Miles away from the pitch wherever you sit. There’s huge gaps between lower and upper tiers so Norwich fans were a long way from each other. Home atmosphere non-existent for most of the match. The venue is well thought-out and easy to get in and out of, but more suited to music events. No character or soul.

Lovely looking but doesnt work for reasons mentioned above.

Dont agree with access being good, to push 40/50 thousand football fans thrugh an already packed shopping centre on Saturday afternoon is rediculous. 

Although West Ham basically inherited the stadium through taxpayers' money, I do feel for their fans a bit. Upton Park was a fantastic ground to visit, full of passion and atmosphere. They've increased their average attendance from c35k to c60k, but the heart of the club has been ripped out. Fans don't like their stadium or their owners; they may be more cash-rich, but the spirit of the club has totally changed.

I was staggered to note that the attendance yesterday was in excess of 59, 000 and that was for Norwich City (with respect, of course.)

With a seated capacity of 66,000 (regulated is lower, whatever that means exactly) I suspect that it will be a total sell-out for the 'bigger' games.

It might well be unaccommodating as outlined above but it sure succeeds as a venue with crowd appeal. Also, we have all likely come across Hammer's fans who prefer the Anne Boleyn stadium any day.

There are many pros and cons concerning the West Ham deal, and they appear to have been overly favoured as a club (and Bury's plight could be recalled at this point), but regular days like yesterday mean a better outcome than a white elephant being maintained at taxpayer's expense in order to be used as an occasional athletics or pop concert venue, or whatever.

19 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I was staggered to note that the attendance yesterday was in excess of 59, 000 and that was for Norwich City (with respect, of course.)

With a seated capacity of 66,000 (regulated is lower, whatever that means exactly) I suspect that it will be a total sell-out for the 'bigger' games.

It might well be unaccommodating as outlined above but it sure succeeds as a venue with crowd appeal. Also, we have all likely come across Hammer's fans who prefer the Anne Boleyn stadium any day.

There are many pros and cons concerning the West Ham deal, and they appear to have been overly favoured as a club (and Bury's plight could be recalled at this point), but regular days like yesterday mean a better outcome than a white elephant being maintained at taxpayer's expense in order to be used as an occasional athletics or pop concert venue, or whatever.

Yeah, at least it is getting used every week. I wonder if there is anything West Ham can do about the atmosphere? I dont think they are able to covert it at all as doesnt it have to retain its ability to function as a multi-purpose stadium?

In favour of the ground, they got for free, they do not have to pay for it's upkeep,  and holds a lot more fans - all this making money for the club, it was noticeable how many Marshall's they had in and around the ground.

Against the ground terrible atmosphere, anybody watching from the upper level were miles away from the players and exiting though a shopping Center it awful. going to the ground was just like going to the Olympics, bags checked, people employed to direct you to the ground. (what or ground does that ?)   

58 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I think the capacity is regulated to 60,000 at present but West Ham are trying to get that lifted. The unused seats must be the ones I could see under the flat bit separating the tiers. The whole place certainly felt a bit weird for somewhere to play football.

Not too bad getting in but having heard horror stories about getting out ended up in achingly cool Hackney afterwards. Every available brick wall was smothered in Banksy style graffiti fit to make your eyes bleed.

Shame I haven't got any shares in paint companies....

I have absolutely no desire to go there again.

Soulless, quiet, no atmosphere, 10 miles from the pitch...

Only made worse by being forced a stupid direction out of the stadium, waiting for stupid stop signs to change to green so we can walk and finally compounded by a couple of our usual lot throwing a few punches.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Only made worse by being forced a stupid direction out of the stadium, waiting for stupid stop signs to change to green so we can walk and finally compounded by a couple of our usual lot throwing a few punches.

Such a stark contrast to how it was for the olympics, the place was absolutely rocking, amazing atmosphere. 

I think there may have been more seats in there at that time.

It’s a great stadium but a step backwards for watching football. Like the old Wembley or Stamford Bridge used to be . Seems ironic that as new football stadia get better for watching football like new Wembley , Emirates and so on this has ended up worse 

we were in the upper tier . As has been said miles away from the lower tier City fans . West Ham were silent until the second goal - so unlike the old Upton Park atmosphere. Of course the usual “inbred” routine from them which for some reason the media don’t pick on. 

The trick by the way is to go back into London - we walked past the platform full of fans , onto an empty overground train back to Liverpool Street.  

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Such a stark contrast to how it was for the olympics, the place was absolutely rocking, amazing atmosphere. 

I think there may have been more seats in there at that time.

Agreed . Was there for The athletics in 2012 and it was absolutely amazing . It’s a great venue .

It’s not designed for football which is the problem. I was miles away from the pitch at Wembley but was close to the tiers below, so the atmosphere was able to carry. The levels at the London Stadium are separated by some weird platforms, by way of how the place was originally built for 2012 I guess. The Emirates and Etihad are huge stadiums but with stands close to the pitch, so you feel close to the action.  I can’t see the place ever having much character, and I don’t think I’d bother going again. Most of their fans were unfriendly and not gracious in victory; that was a negative too. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Did you notice the way we were directed out, causing the away fans to be at the back of the queue for getting to the station ?

• Like 1

If this is the future God help us, poor view, poor atmosphere, poor access, bus seemed like it was parked about a mile away, no segregation outside the ground, if they draw millwal in the cup I bet the coaches will be allowed to park closer. Feel sorry for West ham fans having to go there every other week. 

Some other things I noticed was the absolute state of the Queen Elizabeth Park gardens which resemble more of a wasteland fit for a boot fair. Inside the ground it was noticeable how third rate their advertising was - double glazing firms no one had heard of and other dubious activities. This is a club that has been given a ground for free and whose fans have delusions of grandeur thinking the game owes the great West Ham air time. There they were in their Bobby Moore shirts living in the past as usual. That side is really ragbag which befits the team and its supporters.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

' our usual lot ' so i take it you know them then ?

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

' our usual lot ' so i take it you know them then ?

Know of them yes. And it's now the 7th or 8th time I've seen the same select few involved in scuffles away from home, so I'm beginning to doubt it's a coincidence.

Decent view from the lower tier to be fair. In terms of atmosphere no worse than many other premier league grounds. And with 60k leaving the ground at the same time organisation for those using Stratford was good. That we escaped with less than an 8-0 drubbing - which it might easily have been - is something to be thankful for. Let’s hope Farke can get more out of our midfield before Burnley.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Know of them yes. And it's now the 7th or 8th time I've seen the same select few involved in scuffles away from home, so I'm beginning to doubt it's a coincidence.

Apart from Ipswich last season tell me where these 7 or 8 scuffles took place as i never saw them . I suggest a broadbrush stereotypical post here hogesar. I know 'our usual lot ' which should not be a surprise to you and they have hardly been to any games as a group for several seasons apart from as i said Ipswich.

The guy i saw being held back by his son most certainly is not one of ' our usual lot ' and is a frequent user of Club Cabbage where he has been a steward a few times.

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Agreed . Was there for The athletics in 2012 and it was absolutely amazing . It’s a great venue .

Ditto - attended Super Saturday when the three Golds were presented - amazing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Seems like it’s a good stadium for anything apart from football.

There's another one of those about 40 miles South of here. Apart from the 'good' bit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Ditto - attended Super Saturday when the three Golds were presented - amazing.

Yep, amazing wasnt it.  The thing that got me was how loud it was and how the sound of the crowd travelled around the stadium as we watched Mo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Apart from Ipswich last season tell me where these 7 or 8 scuffles took place as i never saw them . I suggest a broadbrush stereotypical post here hogesar. I know 'our usual lot ' which should not be a surprise to you and they have hardly been to any games as a group for several seasons apart from as i said Ipswich.

The guy i saw being held back by his son most certainly is not one of ' our usual lot ' and is a frequent user of Club Cabbage where he has been a steward a few times.

I suggest a "Til thinking he knows more than he actually does post" personally.

Just now, hogesar said:

I suggest a "Til thinking he knows more than he actually does post" personally.

When it comes to the subject of ' our usual lot ' i most certainly do know more than you hogesar. Maybe when you eventually turn up for a pint which was at your request weeks ago we can discuss it further ?

22 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

We must have been pretty close at that point. I'm not sure if it was the guy in question, but some wise guy decided to start chanting "West Ham's a sh*thole, I wanna go home" at the top of his voice right in the middle of a huge crowd, and a couple of locals took exception. It all died down pretty quickly from what I could see.

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

If our usual lot use club cabbage they’re not much of a lot really are they ?

It must be like being threatened by Monty Python's Hell's Grannies.

• Haha 1