11 20stoners blocking the goal . 

Akinfenwa

Akinfenwa Akinfenwa Akinfenwa Akinfenwa

Akinfenwa Ruddock

Akinfenwa Akinfenwa Akinfenwa

Akinfenwa

• Like 2

On 01/09/2019 at 00:01, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..............................Krul...........................   Aarons.Hanley.Zimerman.Godfrey.Lewis

.............Amadou...Tettey....Trybull...........

.................Steipermann.........

....................Pukki................

Playing 'our way' is admirable....but sometimes making provisions for the opposition is a necessity....and this is one opponent where it absolutely is.

If its 'parking the bus' then so be it but Farke needs to pick a team most likely to stem the opposition. If we dont, we'll be sliced open for 90 mins...and it wont be pretty

This may be the least creative side we could put out! I think he'll go with mostly the same personnel, with a couple of tweaks dependent on injury situ.

Would like to see Drmic fit so he can start vying for the no.10 shirt. As much as my next statement will cause the uproar on this forum, I'd like to see him ahead of Cantwell, with Cantwell playing back up. (awaiting gun emoji's to be sent to me)

23 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Would certainly like to see Roberts & Buendia start, with Cantwell in a central position. Steipi has offered very little so far this season and apart from giving us some much needed height & the occasional hold play, has done nothing to warrant holding down his position.

Hopefully a return of one of the injury struggling CB's would then move Amadou in midfield to give us more grit and mobility in front of the back four.

Robert’s is ineligible as on loan from Man City, Jaberry : ). Quite like the idea of Drmic behind Pukki though, as another poster suggested.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Robert’s is ineligible as on loan from Man City, Jaberry : ). Quite like the idea of Drmic behind Pukki though, as another poster suggested.

Good point on Roberts and one which had passed my thinking. Drmic also needs game time and more importantly needs to remain fit. Hopefully regardless of the next result, I would just like to see an improvement in performance, as the West Ham game looked a bit worrying at times.

21 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Good point on Roberts and one which had passed my thinking. Drmic also needs game time and more importantly needs to remain fit. Hopefully regardless of the next result, I would just like to see an improvement in performance, as the West Ham game looked a bit worrying at times.

Agreed, without sounding defeatist it’s going to be hard to get any sort of result against Man City. That said, if there’s one thing I know to be true about our City is that we never give up. We can play some exhilarating football ourselves when we’re in the mood. I will be highly surprised if we don’t give Man City some rough moments, I do think the West Ham game just was a particularly bad and unfortunate day at the office.

Football’s a funny old game. Let’s see what happens.

On 01/09/2019 at 12:58, Branston Pickle said:

One thing that seems to be clear is that Emi hasn’t quite found his feet, but hopefully it’ll come.  

I keep seeing people say this and I actually thought he was dreadful against West Ham - probably his worst game in a norwich shirt.

But isn't he near the top of the premier league 'chances created' stat as was posted the other day on here?  Sure he's not been as dominant as in the championship but surely no-one expected him to be?

I also noted that most teams seem to have watched back some of our games last season, as Buendia is been given very little time and space on the ball.  He's going to have to learn to deal with this.

8 minutes ago, Orly said:

I keep seeing people say this and I actually thought he was dreadful against West Ham - probably his worst game in a norwich shirt.

But isn't he near the top of the premier league 'chances created' stat as was posted the other day on here?  Sure he's not been as dominant as in the championship but surely no-one expected him to be?

I also noted that most teams seem to have watched back some of our games last season, as Buendia is been given very little time and space on the ball.  He's going to have to learn to deal with this.

I think he is a little behind in terms of match fitness compared to others in fairness. Has shown glimpses of what he's about, but if we are going to have a successful season, we will need multiple players to take their game to a new level.

Krul
Aarons        Godfrey      Hanley/Famewo         Lewis   
                           Tettey         Amadou
                                    Vrancic
                                   Cantwell
                             Pukki         Drmic

Probably just about what I'd go with. 
Realistically I don't think anyone expects anything other than a pretty comprehensive defeat from this match, and rightly so. There are plenty of games to come this season where we'll compete and win points, but this isn't one of them. Given where we are with defensive issues, I don't think it's worth risking Zimmermann, who's still likely not to be 100% fit, in what is essentially a dead rubber game. Possibly the same could be said for Hanley to be honest, depending how badly he's hurt. I'd stick with the current formation but give Famewo from the youth team a chance. We need a warm body in that space, we can't risk further injury to our key personnel, and there's really nothing to lose by giving a youngster a chance - as we well know. Could even be that he has an amazing game, makes a few good tackles against world class opposition even in defeat and steps up as the solution to all our woes. I'd stick with Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey to be honest, yes Aarons and Lewis haven't hit the heights of last season yet but Byram and Heise aren't any kind of upgrade, from what little we've seen. They need to be told to stay back and defend though - Getting up to support the attack and being caught out will be fatal in this particular game against the pace and skill of Sterling.

We also probably need stronger protection in front of the back line. Amadou and Tettey are our toughest options, they've got to come in for me - Trybull, Leitner and Vrancic are all much better technically with the ball but we likely won't have much of it against City; Their pace and off-the-ball positioning and skill means we have GOT to adapt our usual short passing game. Not looking for hoofball, but we can't play the way we usually do against a team like this, we've got to be smarter and play fewer and more incisive passes. Two more no-nonsense players willing to act as enforcers, put in the hard tackles and get the ball quickly and efficiently to more creative players could be the way to go. 

I'd probably put Vrancic in front of them, playing deeper than Stiepermann generally does. He's not always 100% there in the game but he's probably the one player we have who can be truly unpredictable and pull something - be it a turn, a long pass, a shot - out of thin air where there's no obvious move to be made. Doesn't always come off but throwing a little unpredictable chaos into the mix can only be a good thing in this case - Man City are likely going to be assuming a walkover to some extent, Mario is one of the best we have at taking advantage of any complacency they show and creating something out of it. 

Pukki up front is a given; it's a toss-up between going for Drmic alongside him or dropped slightly deeper and Cantwell more central than usual or leaving Drmic out and having both Cantwell and Buendia in their usual roles pushing in from the sides. Laporte being out and City's strength at RB/LB makes me edge slightly more towards Drmic playing, concentrating firepower more in the center as I suspect Todd and Emi will be kept under control pretty handily; although I do think Zinchenko is a bit suspect so if he's playing either of our wide lads might have the pace and trickery to give him some headaches. 

Bench :  

Fahrmann is obvious
Hanley or Famewo, whoever doesn't start - unless Hanley is entirely ruled out in which case Byram
Leitner and Trybull nothing against them but we have better options for this particular match IMHO;
Stiepermann for me hasn't been great the last two games and needs a game on the bench;
Buendia to maybe bring on if we were to switch formation later in the game and use the width more.
Idah to gain matchday experience and who knows, last 10 minutes if the game is done, nothing to lose by throwing him on with no expectations. 

On 01/09/2019 at 14:01, smooth said:

It's interesting as at the start of the season I have thought a 3-5-2 could have worked, with maybe a line up like the below as a plan b

Krul

Zimbo, klose, Godfrey

Aarons, Buendia, Amadou, Vrancic, Lewis

Drmic, Pukki

We still have the wide full backs but maybe more defensive strength and with so many midfielders such as Trybull, McLean and leitner all able to slide in to the formation.

But of course this was really only in extreme circumstances.

With the international break it does allow a bit of recentering and focusing on what has been good so far and where we have already improved. But of course it also allows time to reassess strategies and personnel's assignments.

For me I think against man city we need our technical players to use the ball very well when further up the pitch but we also need to keep to assignments and strategies.

For me -

Krul

Aarons, Zimbo, Godfrey, Lewis

Buendia, Trybull, Amadou, Leitner, Cantwell

Pukki

Yes, tough on Marco but we need more personnel deeper than his normal position to disrupt, track runs and close down gaps that will appear if we go forward.

Buendia and Cantwell will then need to really excel in their technical ability in using the ball at the highest level to give us opportunities.

Either way it will be another great test but hopefully the break has come at the right time, reassess, get injury reports and begin with a new energy.

I agree Stiepermann hasn’t been that effective so far. We seem to be missing his slaloming runs that pulls the team from defence to attack. So on the basis that his form will return plus he’s one of the few players we have that are 6ft plus to counter any set pieces we might encounter I would stick with him for the time being. 

Therefore, I would have the same team as against WHU. If Zimmerman’s is fit I’d go with him if not Amadou apart from that as you were.

Back 4 won't change unless Zimbo is unavailable, in which case Hanley will play, assuming he's available; if not, Amadou at CB!

Buendia, Cantwell & Pukki will surely get the nod. Marco will probably start too, although there are other interesting options to play off the striker, e.g. Drmic, Cantwell, Leitner, possibly Vrancic, & Stieps would be a tasty sub to bring in for the last 20mins. 

Central / defensive midfield is the area that's tricky to guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tettey get the start, possibly alongside Trybull, particularly if Amadou is CB. I like Leitner but I'm not sure where he slots in in this scenario. He could also be an excellent player to bring in with 20/25 mins left. 

Possibly:

Krul

Aarons       Zimm/Hanley       Godfrey       Lewis

Trybull        Tettey

Buendia       Stiepermann        Cantwell

Pukki

So basically, Tettey or Amadou in for Leitner. Marco needs to start producing some tangible end product. Aarons needs to be a bit more balanced & selective with his forays up the pitch. If Teemu is being closely marked, we need Emi & Cantwell to better exploit the space. While it doesn't get any harder than Man City, a more cautious tweak around central midfield rather than a dramatic change in philosophy is the order of the day. Counters and set-pieces (Vrancic?) is the best hope to nick a couple of goals. Pretty much the whole squad are on a drastic learning curve this season. Use this break wisely, have a go at City and then focus on the crunch games to follow. 

9 hours ago, Year of the tiger said:

Tommy T is injured judging by Mrs T's instagram pictures. So possibly another one out

Yes, its been confirmed he is out for 6 weeks.

diamond -  

Josip Teemu

Emiliano

Mario                Moritz

Ibrahim

Jamal      Ben        Grant     Max

Tim

Pointless speculating on the team and formation until we know the extent of Hanley and Zimbos injuries, and all the players away on Full and U21 duty avoid injury. The way things are going that seems unlikely.

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Can Ricardo play at centre half ?

He prefers the libero role

Or a cheese one

Only if it's walking football.

With a rest every ten minutes

And a Peroni at half time

Edited by ricardo

I would rest the outfield players and have the ground staff plant some land mines.

Krul in goal obviously. 

Revised team having seen Godfrey and Aarons being given a trial run in a back 5 this evening.

..................Krul...........

Aarons.Hanley.Zimerman.Godfrey.Lewis

..............Amadou....Tettey......

.......Buendia.........Steipermann.....

.....................Pukki.................

Fahrmann,Byram,Leitner,McLean,Vrancic,Cantwell,Drmic

......and 🙏

On 05/09/2019 at 12:46, Capt. Pants said:

Pointless speculating on the team and formation until we know the extent of Hanley and Zimbos injuries, and all the players away on Full and U21 duty avoid injury. The way things are going that seems unlikely.

It does indeed.

International recognition is good on the one hand, but bloody disastrous on the other.

Krull

Byram----Godfrey---Amadou---Jamal

Kenny-----Tettey

Buendia                              Cantwell

Stieppermann

Pukki

This is of course if Hanley is still injured.

Only one doubt have as may be Moritz will keep his place for Tettey but I see more protection and experience on Tettey. 

Zimbo Max and Trybull I believe is no chance to be back so soon and we all know Onel and Timm is months away as Roberts no permission to play this game.

As cliche say all can happen in football as I remember Wrexham win FC Cup 2nd round  against Arsenal as bottom of football league against champion 30 years ago ,modern day football this is impossible and Is first time since many years I not waiting to watch this game simply because there is 0 chance for points and I simply pray to not be more harsh than 4 5 goals trashing.

Bad fixture and bad injuries make us too soon bottom.Hope morale to not be so much damaged and we can try take points against more winnable teams as Burnley and Palace next!

Will be long long season but we are proud to be here!

• Like 1

I suppose that as far as points gathering goes it's a 34 game season for most sides in the PL with Citeh and Liverpool seemingly on target to repeat last season's feats.

I believe that Norwich adopting a more defensive approach will make no difference, and the scoreline could even be worse.

A little bit of tinkering perhaps (Tettey's experience might help,) but, by and large, I would stick to the same approach as ever. It's on television so let's win plaudits with our open attacking style and give Cantwell a chance to show his talents against the best, Pukki a better chance to add to his goal tally, Emi a taste of the best to pit his skills against and that suspect defence a real grilling that might stand them in stead for future fixtures against less talented attacks.

P.S. The Max Aarons set back might now mean it sensible to rest him for this one however, but it will be a proper indoctrination in the yellow for Byram at least.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I suppose that as far as points gathering goes it's a 34 game season for most sides in the PL with Citeh and Liverpool seemingly on target to repeat last season's feats.

I believe that Norwich adopting a more defensive approach will make no difference, and the scoreline could even be worse.

A little bit of tinkering perhaps (Tettey's experience might help,) but, by and large, I would stick to the same approach as ever. It's on television so let's win plaudits with our open attacking style and give Cantwell a chance to show his talents against the best, Pukki a better chance to add to his goal tally, Emi a taste of the best to pit his skills against and that suspect defence a real grilling that might stand them in stead for future fixtures against less talented attacks.

P.S. The Max Aarons set back might now mean it sensible to rest him for this one however, but it will be a proper indoctrination in the yellow for Byram at least.

We agree on this Broado, defo rest Max, no need to risk the possibility of aggravating that injury. Byram is a decent replacement.

KRUL

BYRAM  AMADOU GODFREY LEWIS

TETTEY  UNDECIDED

BUENDIA      DRMIC      CANTWELL

PUKKI

Drmic in for Steeps IMO, Steeps has done his best and a lot of his work goes unheralded but Drmic is a classier player altogether and should play at full throttle for as long as he lasts, then replaced by Steeps. Torn about MF partner for Alex Tettey, but am erring towards Mo Leitner, Mario and the Mayor in that order. I really feel that we have to just play our game, as we don't really have another way and to change our system drastically could be disastrous.Looking forward to it actually whatever the result, we've come a long way in two years or so and to feel that we should just do 'our thing' is very satisfying. The fact that we have 'our thing' at all, is a feather in the caps of those in charge. 

Edited by wcorkcanary