Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Our style of play

Seen a lot of posts criticising pretty much everything in one way or another but I didnt see it as that  bad a performance. 

The positive about the way we play is when it clicks it enables us to create chances we would never normally be able to create with our level of players vs the teams in the prem.

The negative, and I think we saw it today, is just a couple of players in integral positions not quite up to their best makes us look quite ineffective. Leitner and Buendia probably gave the ball away (needlessly) more today than they did in the entirety of last season. These two key players both not finding rhythm is unfortunately enough to completely upset our teams balance. We only looked like conceding after the Zimmerman injury apparently but in reality we only looked like conceding when we gave the ball away during our own phases of attack.

To me, it looks like Stiepermann is specifically told to take risks, play inbetween lines and generally look to turn and run. We more often than not look in good positional shape to deal with him losing the ball as the team understand the risk. Theres no way our fullbacks could get back in some of the cases where Leitner and Buendia gave the ball away.

Personally, I love our style and it's a risk worth taking. Unfortunately today two players in two key positions werent quite good enough. But I think they will be often enough this season for us to get the wins required.

You can still keep the overall style while making it a bit less vulnerable. 

There are times when we're basically attacking with 8 players. Getting Trybull to stay deeper to provide more cover, asking Buendia/Cantwell to be a bit more cautious if the fullbacks are bombing forward or telling Lewis/Aarons that only one goes forward at a time wouldn't neuter us going forward but might provide that crucial bit of cover when teams counter.

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

You can still keep the overall style while making it a bit less vulnerable. 

There are times when we're basically attacking with 8 players. Getting Trybull to stay deeper to provide more cover, asking Buendia/Cantwell to be a bit more cautious if the fullbacks are bombing forward or telling Lewis/Aarons that only one goes forward at a time wouldn't neuter us going forward but might provide that crucial bit of cover when teams counter.

I think its much easier to say that on here than implement it and make it work. 

Our best phases of play so far have come from overloads in small areas of the pitch, often pockets on the right or left where for example, max and emi are close, trybull or Leitner just behind, the other making a run and even Stiepermann coming over to create an option.

It seems to me that we will struggle to survive in this league with only one set up and game plan. We will need to adopt a second game approach for away games and against the top 6 teams which is absorb pressure and nick the odd goal on the break. Whether Farke is able to develop the team and formations and actual implement it on the field to adapt to the opposition game plans will be the fine line between staying up or going straight back down. At the moment we only have one game plan which is keep ball possession and progress up the field in triangles and rely on Pukki to bang them in. 

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Seen a lot of posts criticising pretty much everything in one way or another but I didnt see it as that  bad a performance. 

The positive about the way we play is when it clicks it enables us to create chances we would never normally be able to create with our level of players vs the teams in the prem.

The negative, and I think we saw it today, is just a couple of players in integral positions not quite up to their best makes us look quite ineffective. Leitner and Buendia probably gave the ball away (needlessly) more today than they did in the entirety of last season. These two key players both not finding rhythm is unfortunately enough to completely upset our teams balance. We only looked like conceding after the Zimmerman injury apparently but in reality we only looked like conceding when we gave the ball away during our own phases of attack.

To me, it looks like Stiepermann is specifically told to take risks, play inbetween lines and generally look to turn and run. We more often than not look in good positional shape to deal with him losing the ball as the team understand the risk. Theres no way our fullbacks could get back in some of the cases where Leitner and Buendia gave the ball away.

Personally, I love our style and it's a risk worth taking. Unfortunately today two players in two key positions werent quite good enough. But I think they will be often enough this season for us to get the wins required.

Were you at the game? 

The thing is, when it doesn’t “click”, what do we do? Loads of sides in the prem don’t click every week, but they grind out a point. In the prem, even when we do click, we won’t create as many chances against most sides as we did last season - and the opposition attacks are better. So the games where last season we created enough to score 3 while the opposition were only good enough to score 2 now changes - we only create enough to score 1 or 2 and the opposition are good enough to score 2 or 3.

We can’t afford to turn up to games, realise it’s not clicking after twenty minutes and then just lay down and roll over.

Edited by Aggy

My worry is our defence is so young and inexperienced and that's showing. Whilst gems for the future we desperately need some experience to sure up very simple mistakes which is costing us goals (& which costed us goals last season, but in PL you really get punished) Still think we need Amadou in midfield to give us some much needed muscle and break up attacks/protect the defence.

On the plus side once we've played Man C we'll have played 3 teams who finished in top 4 last season and games we can really get results in. And despite the table not looking good, one win, would push us right up the table, so plenty to play for.

Let's hope Zimbo and Hanley can return quickly 

• Like 1