Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

What's wrong with Super Mario

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Cantwell has been more effective than Buendia this season so far! 

I wouldn't drop either of them just yet, but I do think Stiepermann is a player who is only a good fit in games where high pressing is likely to be effective due to his stamina and work rate.... he should be more of a rotation player.

Vrancic would be a better option in games where we're expecting to be able to control possession, but clearly West Ham isn't one of those fixtures because they just trump us athletically... bigger, stronger, and by the looks of it fitter. 

That's the thing that will probably anger Farke, West Ham looked fitter than us. Sorry but they just did, and that was the thing we had over a lot of other sides last season and why we'd pinch points in the final stages. 

Fair enough, its all subjective. My feeling with Cantwell is that peoples opinion on him are a little skewed. He looks very good on the ball and plays nice passes. But he isn't actually that effective. Granted against Newcastle he delivered, but other than that his impact on the game as a whole isn't enough, or at least as much as what people think who are sold on his easy to watch style on the ball. He lacks pace and power, and can't beat a man. Buendia has been ineffective too, but he is more suited to the wider position than Cantwell. Cantwell is a very good player, but he's a number ten. Out wide I'd rather we went for a Drmic or Roberts who are more direct, pacier, and can beat a man.

We badly miss Hernandez. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yep, anyone not in the team is now automatically a world beater again.

The DCBs etc on here follow such a boring, predictable pattern it's not even a little fun anymore!

I do think it's reasonable to question why Roberts wasn't in the squad. We had four central midfielders on the bench, surely Roberts would have offered a different option should it be required? Not saying I think he'd have been the right fit to come on considering how the game turned out, but the fact that four central players were picked ahead of him does rather suggest that he's not impressing Farke.

Think we might have to try get Amadou as our dedicated DM soon especially away from home. We look far too brittle down the middle and something has to give. Perhaps it will become 2 from Vrancic, Leitner, Trybull, McLean and Stiepermann with Amadou sitting.

Way we are going though, Amadou will be needed at centre back. God help us if Zimmermann is out long term. Losing Klose is such a massive blow given his experience at this level.

Just now, Il Pirata said:

Fair enough, its all subjective. My feeling with Cantwell is that peoples opinion on him are a little skewed. He looks very good on the ball and plays nice passes. But he isn't actually that effective. Granted against Newcastle he delivered, but other than that his impact on the game as a whole isn't enough, or at least as much as what people think who are sold on his easy to watch style on the ball. He lacks pace and power, and can't beat a man. Buendia has been ineffective too, but he is more suited to the wider position than Cantwell. Cantwell is a very good player, but he's a number ten. Out wide I'd rather we went for a Drmic or Roberts who are more direct, pacier, and can beat a man.

We badly miss Hernandez. 

Obviously I agree that we miss Hernandez, but presumably Roberts was one of those we were hoping would state his case for a place against Crawley and every account I've heard says that he was very poor. 

Drmic has been injured, looked sharp when he came on today which is great but I doubt he was ready for 70+ minutes today as he's fresh back from injury. 

Cantwell has 2 assists and 1 goal this season, he didn't get much of a sniff today but he's been one of our better players thus far, certainly don't think we can justify dropping him right now.... although I'm sure his form will be up and down so that time will come. 

And I'm one of those who thought Cantwell should be loaned out this season, he's proved me wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Think we might have to try get Amadou as our dedicated DM soon especially away from home. We look far too brittle down the middle and something has to give. Perhaps it will become 2 from Vrancic, Leitner, Trybull, McLean and Stiepermann with Amadou sitting.

Way we are going though, Amadou will be needed at centre back. God help us if Zimmermann is out long term. Losing Klose is such a massive blow given his experience at this level.

We'll have Hanley. 

I actually wanted Vrancic on at half time for Marco or Emi. The truth was we created almost nothing even when we were on top early on and that has to be Marco, Emi and Cantwell.

I suspect significant changes after the break (reminds me of last years start).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

We'll have Hanley. 

Hence Amadou being needed at centre back.

*runs away*

7 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I don't think we should write off Tettey, because it feels like he's been written off annually for about 4 years now and each time he's surprised us all with a spell of good form. It usually ends with him getting injured and losing momentum again, but if he remains niggle free I can envisage him being a handy squad player.... Gary O'Neil wasn't exactly Kante was he, but look at the form and fight we got out of him when he was 32. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Cantwell has delivered significantly more than Buendia has so far this season.

Buendia today was guilty more than most of needlessly giving the ball away. That's then made worse by the fact theres only half a chance he'll track it back, half the time he'll throw a fit instead.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I actually wanted Vrancic on at half time for Marco or Emi. The truth was we created almost nothing even when we were on top early on and that has to be Marco, Emi and Cantwell.

I suspect significant changes after the break (reminds me of last years start).

Ought to add I didn't think Cantwell or Emi were tackling back .. leaving our defence exposed. 

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I do think it's reasonable to question why Roberts wasn't in the squad. We had four central midfielders on the bench, surely Roberts would have offered a different option should it be required? Not saying I think he'd have been the right fit to come on considering how the game turned out, but the fact that four central players were picked ahead of him does rather suggest that he's not impressing Farke.

I'd personally have him as an option but equally he didnt cause Crawley too many problems. I imagine Farke believes Vrancic and co are training better and are more likely to offer a positive change from the bench. 

Just now, hogesar said:

Buendia today was guilty more than most of needlessly giving the ball away. That's then made worse by the fact theres only half a chance he'll track it back, half the time he'll throw a fit instead.

Exactly, Cantwell has been our best attacking midfielder.

I'm hoping Buendia will come to life again, but so far he looks like he's lacking a bit of fight. 

Hopefully losing a winnable fixture is the kick up the backside the team needs. 

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Obviously I agree that we miss Hernandez, but presumably Roberts was one of those we were hoping would state his case for a place against Crawley and every account I've heard says that he was very poor. 

Drmic has been injured, looked sharp when he came on today which is great but I doubt he was ready for 70+ minutes today as he's fresh back from injury. 

Cantwell has 2 assists and 1 goal this season, he didn't get much of a sniff today but he's been one of our better players thus far, certainly don't think we can justify dropping him right now.... although I'm sure his form will be up and down so that time will come. 

And I'm one of those who thought Cantwell should be loaned out this season, he's proved me wrong. 

Good to hear Drmic looked sharp. We really need him to come good after the blow of losing Hernandez. I know primarily he's a striker, but by most accounts he can play AM too. I think that's where we need him. 

I don't want to come across as a Cantwell basher. My post probably suggests otherwise, but that isn't my intention. I just think we need a more direct player with pace in his position. We aren't causing the opposition enough problems when breaking forward. I'd like to see Cantwell through the middle, behind Pukki. Having said that, given the choice I'd like to see Vrancic there. Then Buendia and either Drmic or Roberts in the wider AM positions. 

Edited by Il Pirata

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd personally have him as an option but equally he didnt cause Crawley too many problems. I imagine Farke believes Vrancic and co are training better and are more likely to offer a positive change from the bench. 

We can't simply rely on Lewis and Aarons for pace. They're getting caught upfield more frequently and it's starting to show. A faster player on the bench is surely a better option than yet another central midfielder with no real speed? If Roberts was training well I believe he would be on the bench for this reason alone. All guesswork, but I don't think he can be settling in very well.

Agree totally about your assessment of Buendia/Cantwell though, well said.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cantwell doesn't track back well enough either. I agree, Emi needs to up his game. But on form, he's a level above Cantwell. And that's why I find it hard to argue for his exclusion. He's our only player capable of something outstanding and game changing, currently. 

2 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Cantwell doesn't track back well enough either. I agree, Emi needs to up his game. But on form, he's a level above Cantwell. And that's why I find it hard to argue for his exclusion. He's our only player capable of something outstanding and game changing, currently. 

It's a tough one, but Farke will know whether the carrot or the stick is the best approach. Either way, he's way below the minimum standard required of him at the moment. We really need to get him firing somehow.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cantwell didn't cause Portsmouth too many problems in the cup either. 

Honestly, people need to move on and forget the Crawley game. Its irrelevant. 

Edited by Il Pirata

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m taking Emi out of my fantasy team, should be the kick up the backside he needs

He has quite a fragile ego, so be careful. When he finds out he might quit football altogether.

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m taking Emi out of my fantasy team, should be the kick up the backside he needs

Haha, I've also put him on the bench for next week. Only Teemu remains in my XI. 

• Like 1

Classy player though he undoubtedly is, I have my doubts about Mario.

Even when he was at his best at the end of last season, I don't think he was always too concerned about his defensive duties. He can be a little languid at times.

I think he may be one of those players who finds the dynamism required in the PL somewhat beyond him.

I may be wrong. I genuinely hope I am.

Out of interest, maybe some one can answer this; 

Last season, did we win a game without either Vrancic or Hernandez in the team? If so, I bet it wasn't many. 

Vrancic plays his football at a pace that I would consider below prem pace. I do believe he can pull off the occasional piece of wizardry, but we need something a little more robust and hard hitting to come on and make a difference at this level. 

On another note, it would be such a shame for the special talent that is Beundia to fade away in the Premier league. He really is up to this, but it's not happening.  I hold onto hope that farke can get him back to his best and soon - even if we are playing superior opposition, they aren't that good they can make you pass the ball off the pitch without being within a 10ft radius. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

Onel would have been ideal to come on around the 60th mark and leave a few West Ham defenders heads spinning. 

I'm sure a few opposition defenders would have have wondered where on earth this bloke has come from. 

We just aren't getting much luck at the moment but it will change. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

13 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

Actually,  I think the OP has a valid point. This isn't just anyone, its a player who scored key goals in the second half of last season  (Leeds, Sheff Wed & Blackburn spring to mind). A player who hit fine form during this period, and changed games when used from the bench. Mario Vrancic is a class act and at 30 has vital experience the current starting eleven lack.

IMO he needs to be in the starting line up, along with Drmic and Amadou. It's time to play our most talented players, and to add some top level experience to a very young and inexperienced side. We're in danger of developing a losing habit and denting the confidence of our young players.

Sounds like a plan. 

11 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Has anyone mentioned our passing was bad due the fact we chose to wear that awful Grey/black strip ?

It was hard to distinguish the two sets of players. Stay with the red or 1st choice kit. Who needs 3 kits anyway?

16 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Vrancic is one of the few in our squad who seem of Premier League quality. I'm sure he will get his chance over and above those who are not, otherwise Farke wouldn't be doing his job.

I would love to know what you base this on Capt? Mario hasn’t played ? How is he a prem player “among a few” ? Genuinely interested. 

2 hours ago, Harry53 said:

It was hard to distinguish the two sets of players. Stay with the red or 1st choice kit. Who needs 3 kits anyway?

The Accountants,  that's who.