Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

What's wrong with Super Mario

Stiepermann, Buendia and Cantwell all had poor games today, and that's being very kind.

We were given the runaround all afternoon in midfield, we couldn't string two passes together, we never looked like we were capable of getting back into the match and yet we get no tactical subs until it's too late.

And I'm amazed that Mario wasn't one of them.

Surely he has more to offer than Mclean?

Whats wrong with Roberts is as pertinent a question...when youre already a winger down in hernandez and then voluntarily restrict your options further by omitting him from the squad, there's clearly something going on??

Yep, anyone not in the team is now automatically a world beater again.

The DCBs etc on here follow such a boring, predictable pattern it's not even a little fun anymore!

• Like 1

Watch out the forum police are about! Obviously supporters aren’t allowed to discuss the different options in the squad now on this forum....

I don’t seem to remember anyone complaining about the team selection before we kicked off 

Edited by FenwayFrank

I trust that Farke knows the best squad having examined them in training and scrutinised West Ham all week.

Roberts and Mario will get their call when it's right and will hopefully seize it.

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

I don’t seem to remember anyone complaining about the team selection before we kicked off 

Not really the point is it? That’s what subs are for. If it’s not working on the pitch you have different options on the bench

Yes, I'm a bit mystified why Vrancic doesn't get more game time. In the big matches last season, he came into his own, away at Leeds is the most obvious one and then at the end of the season when without him, we might have struggled in the last few games. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, I'm a bit mystified why Vrancic doesn't get more game time. In the big matches last season, he came into his own, away at Leeds is the most obvious one and then at the end of the season when without him, we might have struggled in the last few games. 

I’m sure after the international break we will see a bit of a mix up in the starting 11. Farke and his team will have a bit of time to analyse and tweak things. Everyone will get their chance to stake their claim 

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Not really the point is it? That’s what subs are for. If it’s not working on the pitch you have different options on the bench

We used two of those options, just because they weren’t the two you might have chosen doesn’t mean they were the wrong ones. 

20 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are we now in “ anyone not playing is brilliant “ territory?

Is this the Pink ‘Un forum?

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

We used two of those options, just because they weren’t the two you might have chosen doesn’t mean they were the wrong ones. 

I didn’t comment at all on the subs. Just the two wannabe forum monitors jumping on a perfectly fine post by the OP

Vrancic is one of the few in our squad who seem of Premier League quality. I'm sure he will get his chance over and above those who are not, otherwise Farke wouldn't be doing his job.

• Like 1

Vrancic can only really play in Leitners position and it's only today that Leitner struggled. So hardly surprising we've not seen much of him.

I am more concerned that Roberts isn’t getting a look in, particularly with Onel out. Having an out and our winger on the bench is a good fall-back weapon so it’s a strange one (though he didn’t exactly shine at Crawley so it’s maybe not so surprising).

Having seen how West Ham so easily bullied and owned us I'm not sure Roberts is the answer at this level. He's too tiny.

40 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Vrancic is one of the few in our squad who seem of Premier League quality. I'm sure he will get his chance over and above those who are not, otherwise Farke wouldn't be doing his job.

Wasn’t prem quality against Crawley was he. Had a stinker. It’s been a bad week for us!

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are we now in “ anyone not playing is brilliant “ territory?

Actually,  I think the OP has a valid point. This isn't just anyone, its a player who scored key goals in the second half of last season  (Leeds, Sheff Wed & Blackburn spring to mind). A player who hit fine form during this period, and changed games when used from the bench. Mario Vrancic is a class act and at 30 has vital experience the current starting eleven lack.

IMO he needs to be in the starting line up, along with Drmic and Amadou. It's time to play our most talented players, and to add some top level experience to a very young and inexperienced side. We're in danger of developing a losing habit and denting the confidence of our young players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I'm sorry but Vancic was never going to come on and turn that game on its head. 

Nobody on our bench was going to. 

Did it plenty of times last season though?

Also exceptional against Bournemouth in the cup last season.

2 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Actually,  I think the OP has a valid point. This isn't just anyone, its a player who scored key goals in the second half of last season  (Leeds, Sheff Wed & Blackburn spring to mind). A player who hit fine form during this period, and changed games when used from the bench. Mario Vrancic is a class act and at 30 has vital experience the current starting eleven lack.

IMO he needs to be in the starting line up, along with Drmic and Amadou. It's time to play our most talented players, and to add some top level experience to a very young and inexperienced side. We're in danger of developing a losing habit and denting the confidence of our young players.

Pray tell me who you are going to exclude to play those three?

4 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

IMO he needs to be in the starting line up, along with Drmic and Amadou. It's time to play our most talented players,

Drmic and Amadou have hardly played, I hope you’re right but it’s a bit early to describe them as our most talented players

1 minute ago, Yellow Wal said:

Pray tell me who you are going to exclude to play those three?

Cantwell, Steipermann and Trybull. 

The only thing that could have changed the outcome of that game today would have been having Amadou or Tettey alongside Trybull to give us a more physical yet less elegant midfield. 

West Ham bullied us off the park. 

The only argument I could see for Vrancic is if he then took the attacking midfield spot but in a dynamic role which saw him drop deep to receive the ball now and again.  

Otherwise he'd have had the same problem. 

I'm not convinced even a Tettey or Amadou at the base would have been enough against that West Ham side. The worrying thing for me is that Crystal Palace are even bigger and stronger, and that's another team we're going to be hoping to steal points from. 

Just now, Il Pirata said:

Cantwell, Steipermann and Trybull. 

Cantwell has been more effective than Buendia this season so far! 

I wouldn't drop either of them just yet, but I do think Stiepermann is a player who is only a good fit in games where high pressing is likely to be effective due to his stamina and work rate.... he should be more of a rotation player.

Vrancic would be a better option in games where we're expecting to be able to control possession, but clearly West Ham isn't one of those fixtures because they just trump us athletically... bigger, stronger, and by the looks of it fitter. 

That's the thing that will probably anger Farke, West Ham looked fitter than us. Sorry but they just did, and that was the thing we had over a lot of other sides last season and why we'd pinch points in the final stages. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The only thing that could have changed the outcome of that game today would have been having Amadou or Tettey alongside Trybull to give us a more physical yet less elegant midfield. 

West Ham bullied us off the park. 

The only argument I could see for Vrancic is if he then took the attacking midfield spot but in a dynamic role which saw him drop deep to receive the ball now and again.  

Otherwise he'd have had the same problem. 

I'm not convinced even a Tettey or Amadou at the base would have been enough against that West Ham side. The worrying thing for me is that Crystal Palace are even bigger and stronger, and that's another team we're going to be hoping to steal points from. 

Considering Tettey for a starting spot is a major concern for me. I don't think he's anywhere near the level required, and I'd always play Trybull ahead of him when fit. 

4 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Considering Tettey for a starting spot is a major concern for me. I don't think he's anywhere near the level required, and I'd always play Trybull ahead of him when fit. 

I didn't advocate him instead of Trybull though did I, I suggested that today we should have had Amadou or Tettey alongside Trybull. 

What's the point in Leitner if we can't keep hold of the ball? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten