Sign in to follow this  
ca

Sky Sports Statement

A post from a lad on the Norwich City Message board which makes sense to me
Before you lot start ***ing Huckerby off take time to read his statement from the Sky Sports Website......

Both myself and my agent understood and accepted what sacrifices I had to make in order for this deal to go through, following our initial meeting with officials from the club last Friday," The statement read.

"Indeed, Kevin Keegan was also prepared to help further in order to facilitate this move.

"I also spurned the opportunity to speak to more than one other club that wanted my services in order that I concentrated on trying to help reach an agreement to play for Norwich.

"However, it became clear, first last night and again this morning, that Norwich were expecting more manoeuvrability from myself and Manchester City than they were prepared to do themselves, to the point where I have been forced to ask the question: Just how much did Norwich want me in the first place?

"I wanted to express this feeling because of the excellent rapport that I have had with The Canaries'' fans during my three months at the club.

"There was certainly no more that we could be expected to do to make this move happen and my one regret is that I won''t be playing in front of them more regularly."

Like we all said before this was a PR stunt to get us thinking that a deal was on the table and buy buy buy, shirts , season tickets etc

I think that the board have a lot to answer for!!!!!

He is saying that a deal was as good as done, then the board went back on their offer...........Im Sorry but this stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree Diane, Megson wasn''t prepared to offer more than us in wages, we had our offer accepted by Man City, Norwich had done more than enough.

We are going to have ourselves a party over the next 5 months, it''s a pity DH''s agent wont let DH be apart of it. I''m disappointed too but this isn''t the end, this is the beginning!!

PR Stunt? So I suppose the board enlisted the help of Gary Megson to help with that did they? Quote : "Norwich have made Darren a very good offer and it''s one that I wouldn''t want to match."

Note that''s Darren, not Man City i.e. he''s talking about the players package offered, not the transfer fee. That''s as reliable and informed a third-party opinion on it as we''re ever likely to see, and suggests to me that we made a genuine effort to get him here.

I think perhaps Mr Huckerby is doing a little PR of his own - I''m sure he wouldn''t want to put off any premiership clubs from entering into negotiations with him in January!

Whichever, whatever - we''ll never know the full story - be dissapointed, sure. But let''s accept it, and move on.

Whatever happens - he''s helped us up the table, and the board have shown their ambition and willingness to listen - that''s good progress in my eyes, well done to all I say.

Roll on boxing day.

Our board offered to make him our highest paid player.His greed is the problem.

Its a shame that a player who only last week said he would play for the canaries for any wage, has now said he could not reach agreement due to inflexibility by the board. I think this is a ploy to get more out of the Man City board in severence pay. Its a shame we are caught in the middle. I feel this is not the end of the matter, as he said on a number of occasions that he would like to mover here permanantly. Or do we treat this with a large pinch of salt? I too have though that the whole affair might have been created by the club to give the impression that they were being adventurous, to kid fans. But, I think this not to be true.

At the end of the day, he said he would like to come. Man City agreed to sell him for a price. So, where has the problem now come from?

Whatever happens now, lets remember what an impact he had at the club, and in modern football, you get what you pay for. Quality costs. Always.

Dianne, your interpretation of what Darren said is illogical. If Darren could have said what you concluded ( 15 words ) "the deal was as good as done, then the board went back on their offer", then he would have said that, because that would have been the strongest statement he could have made. He did not do that!. Indeed, he could have opened by stating categorically that he accepted the offer Norwich made last Friday. He did not do that! What he did was use 150 words ( probably well wordsmithed by his agent ) that attempts to get Norwich fans to put more pressure on the Norwich board. If we don''t trust our board to operate in the best interests of Norwich City FC we have a lot bigger problems than Darren Huckerby''s signature on a contract.

I think this has nothing to do with the terms we are offering. I think this is all about the outstanding value of his existing contract, and I think DH and his agent were expecting Norwich to pay some of that compensation as a signing on fee, which we are quite right in refusing to do so.

Have we got another one of those "I want him here and I want him here before the end of the century" moments we had with O''Neill/Windass and Chase? If I remember rightly, everything was agreed then Chase decided to offer less and the rest, as they say, is history.

There was a post yesterday lunchtime saying that Worthy had been on the news looking confident. Then 4 hrs later he''s not coming. What''s going on?

Exactly magic. That was always going to be the major sticking point. What Megson said and the fact that we were going to make him the highgest paid player in NCFC history show that it wasn''t the wages that were the problem. Jeez Diane, i wondered how long after the ''honeymoon'' period following the derby win it would be before someone found something to moan at the board about. They''ve shown their ambition many times already. I have to admit i thought the Huckerby bid after getting Leon and putting a bid in for Svensson was a stunt with the board knowing that they weren''t going to get Huckerby but i don''t believe that anymore. They clearly did all they could to get him and i think Huckerby did too. I don''t blame Huckerby because if he''s going to take a big pay cut he is going to want the added security of having a settlement from his existing contract. What stinks is that in such negotiations the buying club is expected to contribute to this. It should be up to the selling club since it''s their contract and they''ve messed up by having to sell a player who is still contracted to them. NW alluded many times to the issue needing to be sorted out with Man City and i think that was a typically cute NW way of saying the club was not prepared to just hand over a million or half a million to him as settlement for his Man C contract. And nor should they. That is what i think DH is referring to when he says the club were not prepared to move. The cost of the deal would have got out of hand. As it is, we still have the chance to bring in someone else who can add that one more piece to the jigsaw. In the meantime, we''ve got more than enough to be getting on with which is more than could be said of the situation when the loanees went back and we had no new signings! Happy Xmas all and here''s to a 9 points over the festive season!! Ok, 6...!

Sorry Diane, you are totally wrong. The board have done everything possible to make this happen, and because Manchester City pay Huckerby a vastly overpriced £20,000 a week unless Huckerby was really serious about taking a pay cut to come here then we were never gonig to be able to compete. His agent obviously thinks that a premiership club will come and get him in January, but the only clubs likely to want him are down towards the bottom of the premiership and highly unlikely to commit themselves to paying him £20,000 plus a week when there is a threat of relegation from the premiership(i.e wolves, portsmouth, leicester).
I would love to have seen him here permanantly but not at any price. Whilst i have been critical of the board over many seasons i think they are right to stick to their guns with this. Once Huckerby realises that the only other choice he may have is to rot in Man Citys reserves for 18 months perhaps he will see sense.
Anyhow you have to look at the wider picture. If we had spent all that money on him, what happens if he gets injured in the first game and we lose him for the season(always a possibility with his type of player). I agree that we should now use that money and strengthen the squad in other areas, possibly midfield and wide right. There are going to be plenty of players available wanting first team football in the near future and with us being at the top of the division we have an excellent chance of attracting them here
OTBC

Changing the subject slightly, why does everyone think we''re weak out right? We have 3 very capable players who can play there now and another would be the death knell for Rivers. Some may think that''s a good thing but i would like to see him given another chance. He has so much ability and this period of being out of the picture may have woken him up a bit. He was our top scorer remember? Otherwise there''s Henderson and now McVeigh with Brennan available to go left. I thought Brennan was excellent for the brief period he was on at Ipswich. He was an inspired substitution as i thought Drury was tiring and Brennan provide him with excellent cover. This in turn enabled McVeigh to go on the right and i''d like to see more of him out right, i think he can do a good job there and he very nearly laid on Leon''s hatrick on Sunday with a good run and cross. Only Wilnis'' toe prevented Leon from volleying his 3rd into the roof of the net - how sweet would that have been?!?!?

I don''t understand why DH would be entitled to any money from his Man City contract. Surely if he leaves and gets another job he is not entitled to be paid for the job he has just left and which he is not doing. After joining us he would have been paid his new salary which would have been less that his old salary, but that''s just negotiations. I fail to see why he should get a bean in "compensation" from Man City for leaving them.

He is contracted to Man City and Man City are contracted to him. The remainder of that contract is worth 1.5 million. When a player leaves before the end of the contract the club has to stump up a settlement for that contract. That''s what cost us 700,000 when Libbra, Emblen and co left before the end of their contract. In this case, where there is another club keen to secure the players services (i.e. us), the selling club can release the player on terms that he must seek his settlement from the club he wants to move to. But when there is no club interested enough in the player the selling club has to come up with the settlement if they really want rid - as we had to do with Libbra and co. In the circumstances we had with Huckerby, everyone is trying to call each other''s bluff. Man City reduce the asking price in the hope that would get the settlement out of their hands, but Worthington maintained all along that the settlement was a matter for Man City and Hux. Hux, knowing how much we wanted him, was prepared to try and agree the settlement with us but it seems we weren''t having any of it. So it''s therefore not that surprising that we all end up back at square one when nobody blinks.