Sign in to follow this  
JF

Zimmerman

Not  really sure what Farke is getting at here. Yes it was a poor challenge by Haller but it wasn't a red card and VAR doesn't deal with bookings. Even if it did it wouldn't have prevented the tackle or the injury to Zimmermann, nor would it have taken Haller off the pitch.

The referee lacked a level of control in the game, particularly with the heavy challenges and diving in the first half, and quashing it early on with a booking for Haller might have changed that. Equally it could have made zero difference, it's all conjecture.

I think what Farke is miffed about is that an opposition player has made a bad and obviously cynical challenge on one of our guys, and his reward was arguably an easier path to the opening goal whilst ours is a crocked player in a difficult position. 

• Like 2

Why the heck the ref didn't blow for a free kick on Zimmermann and book the West Ham player is anyone's guess. There are four officials and VAR yet not even a free kick for the challenge. 

11 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

The referee lacked a level of control in the game, particularly with the heavy challenges and diving in the first half, and quashing it early on with a booking for Haller might have changed that. Equally it could have made zero difference, it's all conjecture.

I think what Farke is miffed about is that an opposition player has made a bad and obviously cynical challenge on one of our guys, and his reward was arguably an easier path to the opening goal whilst ours is a crocked player in a difficult position. 

Agree with all of this, Mason. Watching the interview with Farke, his frustration was evident, and as a City supporter I’m on his side 100%. The elbow bloke who scored the second goal, no way will he go this season without a red card or 2, I can guarantee it - his body language throughout the game suggested to me he’s not a very nice bloke. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I swear it's a kind of madness that people think like this - and you're not the only one, by a long chalk. 

Draw or win against Man City - even if it is against the odds - goes toward redressing the balance of the points lost today and last week.  I understand the reasoning behind the idea that you should prioritise certain matches, but I just think it is misguided thinking......bonkers, actually.  Every match is important in it's own way.

It's not madness. it's prioritising. 99 times out of 100 we lose to Man City, if we have our best players, our second string, or 14 players on the pitch, we will very likely still lose. 

I understand your opinion but when we are targeting survival, a game against Man City is pretty irrelevant, a game against Burnley or Palace is not, as we have a significant chance of points against them, we don't against Man City.

• Like 3

Of course we have significant chance of points against Man City.  Putting these top clubs on pedestals just because of who they are goes against every sinew of what sport is about. It's about the challenge, the overcoming of all the odds, the effort, the belief.... so to say it doesn't matter or is irrelevant is belittling the whole idea of sport and the reason for getting in the top league in the first place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Why the heck the ref didn't blow for a free kick on Zimmermann and book the West Ham player is anyone's guess. There are four officials and VAR yet not even a free kick for the challenge. 

VAR is irrelevant in this context, it isn't used to flag up yellow card offences. 

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

game against Man City is pretty irrelevant, a game against Burnley or Palace is not, as we have a significant chance of points against them, we don't against Man City.

Palace are bigger and stronger than West Ham, so I'm not confident on that one. 

8 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Agreed also.

The referee should have got a grip of the game earlier and it may have prevented the poor foul on CZ. He was beginning to look back to his immense best.  However, they had a game plan and had Pukki in their pockets the whole game, and it worked.

Again a few of our players appear off their game even possible 'start struck' with the experience at times. As a result those who we know can destroy teams are playing within themselves, time will change this.....hopefully

Like most managers Farke has to blame someone or something after such a poor performance.

He's never going to come out and admitt that we were way below our normal standards so that leaves the officials to carry the can.

• Like 1

The MOtD commentators were particularly unsympathetic last night - no critism of the tackle, instead it was Zimmermann's fault for staying on the pitch. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The MOtD commentators were particularly unsympathetic last night - no critism of the tackle, instead it was Zimmermann's fault for staying on the pitch. 

Havnt seen MOTD yet, but really worried me that he stayed on for so long, the fact that he did would suggest it was a twisted ankle. which sometimes during a game you can run off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:
27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Havnt seen MOTD yet, but really worried me that he stayed on for so long, the fact that he did would suggest it was a twisted ankle. which sometimes during a game you can run off.

MOTD were unsympathetic, not sure why, because it's true that players try and see if they can run off the knocks and twists, if it is not too bad.

I'm a bit cynical about the PL and the methodology that some players use by trying to soften up opponents when they are not getting their way. We were giving West Ham a few problems up until that incident and in a flash your key defender is crocked - illegally, intentionally and with no sanction or even a free kick and the damage to the whole afternoon has been done.

Bournemouth created quite a few untaken opportunities against them. They are not infallible. 

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

MOTD were unsympathetic, not sure why, because it's true that players try and see if they can run off the knocks and twists, if it is not too bad.

I'm a bit cynical about the PL and the methodology that some players use by trying to soften up opponents when they are not getting their way. We were giving West Ham a few problems up until that incident and in a flash your key defender is crocked - illegally, intentionally and with no sanction or even a free kick and the damage to the whole afternoon has been done.

The referee ‘gives what he sees’ and I understand his comments stated he did not see the incident. Apparently nor did the linesperson! VAR is apparently not used in such circs, yet VAR was apparently used to review a tackle on Wilson in the Leicester v bournemouth match, deemed not a red card. There is some inconsistencies with the use of VAR for sure!

having said that imo the tackle on Zimmerman was not a red, maybe a yellow at best, and it has to be said, their goal came a full three minutes after the tackle. The fact Zimmerman was still on the pitch was down to him entirely. 

17 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Of course we have significant chance of points against Man City.  Putting these top clubs on pedestals just because of who they are goes against every sinew of what sport is about. It's about the challenge, the overcoming of all the odds, the effort, the belief.... so to say it doesn't matter or is irrelevant is belittling the whole idea of sport and the reason for getting in the top league in the first place. 

“A significant chance of points (plural) against Man City”.  I’ve only just read this. 

If its “significant” you would be mad not to stick some serious cash on it - and put your money where your mouth is , rather than just calling out posters on here Lakey Look forward to seeing the betting slip . £50 min I’d say? 

23 hours ago, lake district canary said:

In that case I'm mad. If we managed to get something from Man City, imagine what that would do for the confidence of the team - you give every game your best shot, any other attiutude is just flawed thinking.

In the scenario you have quoted we would probably have a 3% chance of beating City. I would think if somebody was brought back early there would be a 50% chance of that player being out for the long term. 

It is difficult enough trying to compete with City with 11 fit and ready players, with 9 we would be murdered.

Yes, i've already agreed and corrected my post that we should only play fit players.  It was the suggestion that we might as well give up on thinking we could get point(s) at all that I was querying.

19 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Of course we have significant chance of points against Man City.

Probability clearly isn't your strong point old fruit but hopefully the below will help you out.

probability_line.png

I'd say its unlikely we will get any points against Man City - how about you? 

...but of course, we all live in hope. 🙂

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

19 hours ago, lake district canary said:

There was a time when we had a significant chance of taking points of Man City but that time is certainly not 2019! Back in the real world we will be lucky to come away having not taken a demoralising pasting. I’m hopeful of a return to a battling performance where we’ve given them something to think about and something to build on in games where we can hopefully improve on our points tally

Edited by JF

Makes me laugh when Lakey gets bites from his posts. We surely all know now he's the most uber-positive supporter we have - if a tad ludicrous at times.

image.png.f71a1b76f21a846a692f9394297d1669.png

I doubt any pasting would be demoralising. It's a free hit as long as that 9-0 is still the record.. 

Edited by nutty nigel

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Probability clearly isn't your strong point old fruit but hopefully the below will help you out.

probability_line.png

I'd say its unlikely we will get any points against Man City - how about you? 

...but of course, we all live in hope. 🙂

OTBC

Probability doesn't enter into it as far as I'm concerned. I guess I should not get worked up when I see people so reticent about our chances of getting points against the likes of Man City - but to my mind we should not be going into games thinking we are going to lose, so I will be looking at it as an opportunity to get points.  

Edited by lake district canary

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Probability doesn't enter into it as far as I'm concerned. I guess I should not get worked up when I see people so reticent about our chances of getting points against the likes of Man City - but to my mind we should not be going into games thinking we are going to lose, so I will be looking at it as an opportunity to get points.  

Unfortunately for us you thinking that this is an opportunity for us to get points will have absolutely no bearing on the reality that plays out on the pitch. Of cause our management and players will approach the game believing they have a chance. But just like the Liverpool match the only way we get anything out of this is if Man City have an off day and our players turn up and put in the performance of their lives. If this game is played out 100 times, we would lose at least 90 of them, that’s the task ahead 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think that DF is going into the game thinking we are going to lose, that's his job.

As for the rest of us......

5 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

“A significant chance of points (plural) against Man City”.  I’ve only just read this. 

If its “significant” you would be mad not to stick some serious cash on it - and put your money where your mouth is , rather than just calling out posters on here Lakey Look forward to seeing the betting slip . £50 min I’d say? 

Home win is 20/1 with BV but only 11/1 with Bet 365.

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Home win is 20/1 with BV but only 11/1 with Bet 365.

We know who lakey likes to place his bets with then....

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

People have every reason to be reticent about our chances.

Man City are the leagues' top scorers, we're the leagues leakiest defence so far. 

Man City are the reigning Premier League Champions.

Man City have lost about 6 games in the last two seasons.

We have a chance of getting points but it is a slim chance and there is nothing wrong with saying that.