Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The day the spectacles fell off

2 hours ago, king canary said:

There is not spending money we don't have and then there is just not spending any money.

Sheffield United have managed to upgrade the first XI based on early performances- Robinson and McBurnie have added to the team for example. So it isn't impossible to do it even a yo-yo club.

Bit early in the season for a "Why aren't we Sheffield United" post, but let's run with it and see where it takes us 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Bit early in the season for a "Why aren't we Sheffield United" post, but let's run with it and see where it takes us 😄 

Thing is with them, they've always been built on a resolute defence. It's still looking that way, but they've added firepower.

Personally, I think they'll draw a lot of games but that may not get them over the line. I don't think Robinson is anything special. McBurnie is decent enough but can't see him scoring as many goals as Teemu.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

*sigh*

Obviously not what I'm saying but have at it I guess...

As much as people don’t want to see it or believe it, if we have to score 2 or 3 goals every game to get points we’re going to be in trouble. I’ve no problem with that, it is what it is. I’ve said from the moment we got promoted that I wanted to see the players that got us here given their shot at the league and if we go down so be it. Others will disagree with that and that’s also fair enough.But Somehow we need to limit the chances we’re giving away because at the moment it’s looking like a record goals against in a season is possible 

Edited by JF

When Hughton was here people were saying "I don't care if we lose every game 4 or 5 nil as long as we play attractive football".

Now they want defensive.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

*sigh*

Obviously not what I'm saying but have at it I guess...

I know, I was joking (sort of).

I do think people are reading far too much into one game. Exactly the same as Newcastle where suddenly we were top half with no relegation to worry about, losing to West Ham away is not a killer.

Just now, lappinitup said:

When Hughton was here people were saying "I don't care if we lose every game 4 or 5 nil as long as we play attractive football".

Now they want defensive.

It happens every time, whatever the opposite style is, for some it's the right one. I've not seen too much of it on here.

I love our style of play and hope to god that Farke and the coaching team, and the players, all have a little more backbone than some of our fans who are clamouring for us to change already

6 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Now they want defensive.

Maybe it's because people realise that there is something in between those two extremes the club can aim for? 

Nobody is asking is to suddenly park the bus and go ultra defensive- just a bit of tweaking a tightening up so we're not looking totally exposed whenever a team counter attacks.

Nobody "wants defensive football." Its more a case of stamping out some of the incredible naivity we have shown in our play so far as as to limit the number of chances we are allowing the opposition team. Its about a bit of balance in our approach to reflect the reality that the teams we are up against are so much better and are capable of picking us off when we lose the ball. Improving defensively does not necessarily equate to defensive football. For the most part here it involves some players working a bit harder and others cutting out some of the errors they have been making. That will happen as its a learning curve but its something we need to learn very quickly.

This is a big challenge for Farke here because Newcastle inexplicably sat off us and let us play (and we know if teams do that then we will play through them) but Chelsea and West Ham have both pressed us and roughed us up a bit in midfield and had a lot of joy as a result. Every team will do this now so we need to think about how we respond. 

I agree about the fact we usually improve after an international break but its unfortunate that we have Man City up next so any improvement may be irrelevant in that particular game. Hopefully we can at least work on being more solid in that game and take that into the following fixtures. 

So was there a thread where posters claimed would have more than three points after the first four games and a better goal difference than -2?

What did you think Jimbo?

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So was there a thread where posters claimed would have more than three points after the first four games and a better goal difference than -2?

I think LDC mentioned us getting 12 points from games 2-5 😉

• Haha 2

We don't need to be more defensive, we need to cut out the errors. Cantwell's careless pass straight to the West Ham player for their second goal, being an example. For me, Buendia was lacking defensively on Saturday - it's the fine margins and stuff like that which will improve us as a unit. I think the midfield can help; too many times on Saturday we didn't apply enough physical pressure and the opposition players just drifted by easily. It's not helped that central defence has been decimated. Ben has had a very decent start to the season, Lewis too, although I think Max has struggled early doors. He's a young lad playing in the PL though, so will only get better with more games under his belt. We were very good going forward in the first three games, hopefully West Ham was a one off, but improving our defensive shape and cutting out those needless errors should hopefully see us get the points we need.

• Like 1

And let's be honest, against the weaker sides at home, I'm pretty confident we can score lots of goals. We're gonna stay up with our firepower, not our defensive prowess, that's for sure.

As far as I'm concerned, Farke can play a unicorn in goal, Ann Widdicombe upfront, and nine Mark Fotheringham clones (to do the fozzy flick - but only in our own penalty box) and I don't care if we go down doing so.

I've hated watching Norwich play negative football under Hughton, then after Alex Neil's understandable but lamentable change of tactics.   We're know for a certain brand of football, at least as far back as my support goes (early 90s).  I'd rather play that way and lose, possibly even go down, than compromise the principles and style put in place over the previous two season.

I'm not pointing fingers - because I don't read this forum carefully enough to pay attention to who's posting what - but I'm surprised at how many people seem to be aggravated at the loss.   I think a degree of patience and stoicism is called for.  

We were in complete control of the match for the first 20 minutes before Halle hacked down Zimmerman, then targeted him for the goal.  Fine margins, as Farke said.

Do people remember the start of last season?  Pretty sure I read many of the same arguments here at that time too, and that didn't turn out too badly, huh?

Edited by Orly

I think some people are forgetting there's a middle ground between all-out-attack and parking the bus. I thought we got the balance at Anfield, for example, not too far off. We lost 4-1 but a couple of the goals were avoidable, plus we always looked a threat going forward. Apply that to a Palace or a Villa for example, and we would probably grab the win.

• Like 1

Newcastle were humiliated by us and the very next game they win away at Spurs. One week its a disaster. The next week they are experiencing an amazing renaissance.

We are no different. 

This season will be defined by our performances. It didn't go so well at West Ham. So what? A few small mistakes plus a couple of missed chances is all that it takes to turn a good day into a bad day.

Plus once we are chasing a game then we have to open up and many observers see that as weakness-because we look easy to dominate. It is nothing of the sort. It is just a team, our team, chasing a game. 

I hope that the players do not succumb to fear, anger or self doubt. They are getting many tough lessons right now. This must be one heck of a test of their character. 

If they can win 8/9 more games we should be able to stay in this league and the team will have achieved something immense.

33 minutes ago, Orly said:

As far as I'm concerned, Farke can play a unicorn in goal, Ann Widdicombe upfront, and nine Mark Fotheringham clones (to do the fozzy flick - but only in our own penalty box) and I don't care if we go down doing so.

Maybe Jabba the Hut in goal; he'd take up 90% of the space. I hear he was last seen working for talkSPORT.

OTBC

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Can't recall if I ever said it on here Nutty but I have always said 3 or 4 points from the first 5 games was a reasonable target bearing in mind the opposition we faced. Obviously the Newcastle and West Ham games being the best opportunities. I'm not bothered about being in the bottom 3 or indeed our points tally for this reason. Its certainly been a start that I think can be classed as "ok" rather than a disaster. It was always going to be thus. I've also seen a lot in our attacking play to be encouraged about but I do feel we need to find a way to tighten up as we have been even more open defensively than I feared might be the case in our last two games. 

4 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Newcastle were humiliated by us and the very next game they win away at Spurs. One week its a disaster. The next week they are experiencing an amazing renaissance.

We are no different.

Exactly. Many sides in the division have already experienced this: a poor performance followed by a great one or vice versa.

A lot of people on here were saying we have nothing to worry about and could finish in the top half after the Newcastle, and now there are lots of people who are really fearing for us after the West Ham game.

In reality, we're somewhere in between. We shouldn't have overreacted after one excellent performance against a poor Newcastle side, and we shouldn't overreact now after a poor show against a decent West Ham side.

After the big six and the next four (Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves) I don't think is a huge amount between the other ten teams in this league. All of those ten are capable of putting together a few excellent wins and some abject defeats. 

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think LDC mentioned us getting 12 points from games 2-5 😉

Indeed, one win, two losses so far from those matches, win the next one and we will be 6 points out of 12, which actually wouldn't be a bad return for those four matches. 🙃

I'm quite happy with three points and -2 is better than I expected to be honest.

I don't believe the much pined for halfway house really exists. We don't set up to concede goals but we get players forward in an attempt to score goals and put our authority on games. 

As for mistakes, young players will make them. Do you not expect them to?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm quite happy with three points and -2 is better than I expected to be honest.

I don't believe the much pined for halfway house really exists. We don't set up to concede goals but we get players forward in an attempt to score goals and put our authority on games. 

As for mistakes, young players will make them. Do you not expect them to?

Small point of order - its minus 4 not minus 2.

Yes of course young players will make mistakes and as I have said they will learn but they need to quickly as we've given the ball away far too much in the last 2 games. My main point though having seen the first few games is I think we need a midfielder sitting deeper to provide cover for when they do make those mistakes. I would even consider playing Tettey ahead of Trybull for that reason for a few games - just to sit in front of the back 4 and fill the huge gap that we leave there, particularly when the full backs venture upfield (and assuming Amadou is needed at CB).

2 hours ago, lappinitup said:

Now they want defensive.

Ah the glory days of Chris Hughton 

he wouldn’t be putting up with some of the show boating going on in the team at the moment

farke out Hughton back 

14 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

farke out Hughton back 

Ah! I get it. You want a stinking rich Chinese owner to back Chris Hughton in the transfer market.

Can't fail. 🤣

1 minute ago, lappinitup said:

Ah! I get it. You want a stinking rich Chinese owner to back Chris Hughton in the transfer market.

Can't fail. 🤣

Hughton new how to keep a clean sheet 

20 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Small point of order - its minus 4 not minus 2.

Yes of course young players will make mistakes and as I have said they will learn but they need to quickly as we've given the ball away far too much in the last 2 games. My main point though having seen the first few games is I think we need a midfielder sitting deeper to provide cover for when they do make those mistakes. I would even consider playing Tettey ahead of Trybull for that reason for a few games - just to sit in front of the back 4 and fill the huge gap that we leave there, particularly when the full backs venture upfield (and assuming Amadou is needed at CB).

Sorry Jimbo, yes -4. But in those games we've played Liverpool and Chelsea. Everyone seems to be surprised we lost to West Ham. I can't say I am. And I don't believe West Ham are ordinary as has been suggested. They've been in the PL 10 seasons? 

Hopefully Amadou will be an upgrade on Trybul. If not why sign him? Tettey is still an option and I doubt our first choice eleven will be what it is now further on in the season. All seasons evolve.