Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The day the spectacles fell off

Norwich went up, a young exciting side, Teemu scoring for fun. And many thought that the smallest ever spend for a promoted side was no big deal.

a couple of injuries and an embarrassing cup exit later- followed by a poor show at West Ham- and reality is knocking at the door. 

For all of our talent and potential we look a few signings short of what is required to compete at this level. And the season has barely begun. 

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Norwich went up, a young exciting side, Teemu scoring for fun. And many thought that the smallest ever spend for a promoted side was no big deal.

a couple of injuries and an embarrassing cup exit later- followed by a poor show at West Ham- and reality is knocking at the door. 

For all of our talent and potential we look a few signings short of what is required to compete at this level. And the moaning has barely begun. 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not sure what people are expecting, this is the Premier League and we’ll playing in a tougher league than last season. 

We won’t win as many games, we go into every game as the underdog and will do well to stay in the league.

We all know the financial situation and that we couldn’t spend a fortune and even that doesn’t mean success.

This is a 3-5 year plan not a 1 year plan.

It’s like that deluded lot down the road crowing because they’re doing well, they should be as they are playing in a worse division 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

The day his testacles fell off?

Dean Coney's Eunuch?

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I’m not sure what people are expecting, this is the Premier League and we’ll playing in a tougher league than last season. 

We won’t win as many games, we go into every game as the underdog and will do well to stay in the league.

We all know the financial situation and that we couldn’t spend a fortune and even that doesn’t mean success.

It’s like that deluded lot down the road crowing because they’re doing well, they should be as they are playing in a worse division 🤷🏻‍♂️

We won’t go into every game as the underdog . Norwich were favourites to beat Newcastle at home and will be for other home matches . 

Unfortunately the OP is probably right. All is not lost though, there is plenty of time for this group to grow into the league. I also thought when Zimmerman was on the pitch until he got injured we looked decent at the back. When everything is done we just have to be in that 17th position this season 

• Like 1

We are and always were going to be light in defence - that was obvious with practically the same set up as last year, but now playing sides with £40m+ strikers.  My biggest gripe is that we should be stronger than last season at the back, but aren’t. 

That said it is what it is and it’s not so much these games that are important, as when we play the run of games against sone of the ‘lesser’ sides following the Man City game....that is when we’ll see where we are.

Edited by Branston Pickle

We got beaten by a better side today, we are in the Premier League, people best get used to that happening more often than they are used to.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

My biggest gripe is that we should be stronger than last season at the back, but aren’t. 

Was always going to take some time with the injuries. 7 of the goals we've conceded were against holding European champions and 1 today was with a limping Zimmermann.

We'll be better once Zim is back full and the more physical Amadou is up to speed in the middle. Probably.

Need to see a much better performance than this away at Palace and Burnley next month though that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We won’t go into every game as the underdog . Norwich were favourites to beat Newcastle at home and will be for other home matches . 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That may be the case with the bookies but being realistic we’re a team that didn’t cost a lot against established teams with players in their sides that cost many millions and any team in the Premier League would be expecting to roll us, Sheffield Utd and Aston Villa over, especially ones like West Ham.

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Absolutely. A few posters who said after promotion they entirely understood  this was a long-term plan, in which we would not spend money we didn’t have, have got very short memories.

Not only are we up against better players, we are facing very smart managers and head coaches. 

Lastly, the complaint that our summer signings have not been obvious upgrades ignores the difficulty of a yo-yo club, which is at best how overseas players will regard is, attracting real upgrades. The French player Claude-Maurice was an example. I don’t blame him for turning us down, given how uncertain a future he would have been signing into. No accident that Amadou, who may well be an upgrade, is only on a season-long loan.

• Like 4

I read that as "the day my testicles fell off". Maybe you could grow another pair?

• Like 1

Would fans of Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton, Burnley etc be howling after a 2-0 defeat away to West Ham ... no.

This happens in the big league.

If you underperform when the whistle blows you will almost certainly lose.

There are 38 games to gather 36 points ... lets not over examine individual games.

• Like 2

We had 3 points from the first 4 games last season in the championship.

If we follow the same progress as last season, I look forward to being crowned Premier League Champions next year.

Edited by Orly
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Would fans of Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton, Burnley etc be howling after a 2-0 defeat away to West Ham ... no.

This happens in the big league.

If you underperform when the whistle blows you will almost certainly lose.

There are 38 games to gather 36 points ... lets not over examine individual games.

I think that is the key thing from today. In the EPL this will certainly be the case.

As long as we learn and look to improve from today's lesson then all is not lost. It's better to realise this on matchday 4 then after Christmas. West Ham were decent but nowhere near the level of Liverpool and Chelsea against whom we played far better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

We got beaten by a better side today, we are in the Premier League, people best get used to that happening more often than they are used to.

Agreed. West Ham will finish top half. They aren’t going to be battling relegation. If we can take points against the likes of West Ham (at their own place) then great bonus points. But it’s the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, Villa, Shef Utd, Southampton (and possibly Watford with how they’ve started the season) that are our direct competitors. We need to be better than three of those across the course of a season. I think we probably just about will be but it won’t be easy!