Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Peaky Blinders and the Barclay chant

Did anyone else see Peaky Blinders and the Billy Boys song? 

Ayo Ayo we are the Billy Boys 

Those of a certain vintage will remember singing that in the Barclay.

I'd no idea the song had Scottish heritage but Radio 5 has just explained that the Billy Boys were a Rangers supporting Protestant gang and sang the song at Ibrox. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Did anyone else see Peaky Blinders and the Billy Boys song? 

Ayo Ayo we are the Billy Boys 

Those of a certain vintage will remember singing that in the Barclay.

I'd no idea the song had Scottish heritage but Radio 5 has just explained that the Billy Boys were a Rangers supporting Protestant gang and sang the song at Ibrox. 

I didn't know about the Scottish angle but it goes back further, it was originally a Union Army marching tune in the US Civil War. 

Ironic really as the first time I heard it away from football was at a family bash where some drunk Northern Irish relatives sang it but with the "Catholic boys" instead of Billy Boys with it continuing, "and if you are a Protestant surrender or you'll die". 

Anyway, it'll be nice seeing those bluenose filth get their comeuppance later in the series as I'm sure they inevitably will. 

• Like 1

Anyway, it'll be nice seeing those bluenose filth get their comeuppance later in the series as I'm sure they inevitably will. 

Funny how Peaky Blinders is all about anti heroes. It is almost a British Godfather 1. 
Actually the original song Marching thru Georgia has been adapted many times by many countries to symbolize certain things. But we did sing it with great gusto in the late 60's and early 70's. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny how Peaky Blinders is all about anti heroes. It is almost a British Godfather 1. 
Actually the original song Marching thru Georgia has been adapted many times by many countries to symbolize certain things. But we did sing it with great gusto in the late 60's and early 70's. 

Yes we did sing it with great gusto. We would all know better now.......