Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Pub(s) for saturday?

Is there a designated away pub? I remember someone telling me they were refused entry into a Stratford Wetherspoons - as was for home fans only - but he may have got that wrong!

Cracking theatre pub just through the old Stratford shopping centre.

Then roof east on top of the shopping centre, currently has batting cages and other bits up there.

But hands down I would go to Hackney Wick.

Hackney Wick, one stop on the overground from Stratford and on the edge of the Olympic park, has amazing pubs. 

Crate brewery and pizzeria is always busy, over looking the canal.

Howling hops is London only tank bar, tanks that go up to the ceiling.

There about 5 or 6 cool pubs there, much better than the big chain Westfield.

4 quarters and a row of about 3 bars including the breakfast club, overlook the canal on the other side in the Olympic park.

4 quarters is full of old arcade games.

It helps that I sell beer and cider within London 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The theatre workshop bar is the one by the theatre.

Pitch Stratford is also very good, outside bar, just 5 mins from Stratford station

Pleasure

The theatre workshop bar is a mainstream lager and drinks site, King Edward VII, the refreshment room is quite cool too with racing track chairs and a great selection of beers, in fact that is a little hidden gem and just outside of the stratford shopping centre.

4 quarters and breakfast club may also be a little more mainstream too by the canal.

Tap East is in Westfield and has a great reputation but certainly moving more towards craft beer. Most of the others in hackney wick will be a bit crafty but unique sites to be honest. The craft brewery and pizzeria is a cracking site. 

Beer merchants is a bit of a Belgian beer pub in a warehouse, has great beer merchandise from across the globe too.

Hopefully you have a range of mainstream and crafty beer sites to choose from but check a few websites too of the above.

You have a ready made  career  as a walking  talking  London  Pub guide , should you ever fancy it Smootho. The choice of beers/ ales in England  is one of the things that i miss. The Irish do do 'craft ales' but they  tend to over egg the pudding  a bit, too much hops for ';character  etc '.more style over substance..haven't found one yet  that I really  like.  Unlike any decent pub in England  where you're  spoilt for choice. 

Oh and a decent  pie is a rare thing here too, theres very little between  standard dross and  expensive , ' artisan ' offerings,   which like the ales, try too hard to stand out . 

Plenty of excellent  seafood  though. Just nothing great to wash it down with. 

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You have a ready made  career  as a walking  talking  London  Pub guide , should you ever fancy it Smootho. The choice of beers/ ales in England  is one of the things that i miss. The Irish do do 'craft ales' but they  tend to over egg the pudding  a bit, too much hops for ';character  etc '.more style over substance..haven't found one yet  that I really  like.  Unlike any decent pub in England  where you're  spoilt for choice. 

Oh and a decent  pie is a rare thing here too, theres very little between  standard dross and  expensive , ' artisan ' offerings,   which like the ales, try too hard to stand out . 

Plenty of excellent  seafood  though. Just nothing great to wash it down with. 

I used to be a rep for Franciscan Wells door about 18months in London. Shane is a legend and the bar in Cork is amazing.

In fact my extended family run the flying enterprise. So Cork is always remembered fondly.

Yep the FW does a good job alright, never been to the FE , just googled it and may well call in for lunch next time i'm in the big City. Its about 60km from wherei live , and to be honest , if i can avoid it, i do, too much Traffic , hassle parking etc etc. I'm a country boy y'all

Family are from just outside Skibbereen and I think the extended family reunion is next April back in Skibbereen.

I would tell anyone to go to the FW bar, amazing brewery.

• Haha 1

You are getting closer by the minute Smootho. Skibb is my local market town!

Are you an O'Driscoll? i know that Clan has a gathering round here quite regularly.

Edited by wcorkcanary