Sign in to follow this  
pete

3 iffy games wins an England Call Up

Tyrome Mings makes it into the England squad after questionable performances against Tottenham, Bournemouth and Everton.  He hasn't done anything to justify this, Godfrey ignored after 3 more than capable games.  Ben wait for November call up will come even if you play for Norwich.

Mings is a thug a fact seemingly ignored by Southgate.

I’ve not seen all of Villas matches but I saw the Spurs one and Mings was excellent in that.

1 hour ago, pete said:

When you are a player in demand ,Thug can be redefined as ' very committed, who is learning self control'.  I have no love of Mings, decent player though, Him and Ben would very nice.

15 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Would love him in our squad tbh.

I wouldn't, he looks to have developed into a very good player but there is a difference between a Grant Holt / Robbie Savage who it is fun to dislike when you are an opposition fan but you love the sh+thousery when they are in your team, and being a psychopath... Those stamps were deliberate. He should have been banned for 12 months after the second one. They ban boxers for biting don't they? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I can't help but get the impression that most of the dislike of Mings on this forum comes from the period of his career when he wore a blue shirt. Had he played for someone like Bristol City or Preston instead of Ipswich, I don't think he'd have as much criticism directed at him.

I understand some people are unhappy about the stamps, but we'll never know how much intent there was. The first one, for me, certainly looked unintentional. The second one was a bit naughty, I'll admit.

As for his ability and his place in the England squad, I think he's a very good defender for a club like Villa and I'd love to have him in our squad alongside Godfrey. He's only 26 too, which isn't old for a centre back.

Should he be in the England squad? Personally, I don't think so. Other players are ahead of him in the pecking order and although he's in very good form, I think it's too early to put him amongst England's best four centre backs. He needs to prove himself with a more extended run of games in the Premier League before deserving an England call-up.

He is Marmite of course. But he looks to have developed into a good CB. The promise we had from years back with Smalling and Jones has gone and we now have Macguire, Stones, Mings and Godfrey looking good young defenders.

I think it is daft to think Godfrey is unlucky. He is in the U21's and that is a good starting place. 

21 hours ago, pete said:

Tyrome Mings makes it into the England squad after questionable performances against Tottenham, Bournemouth and Everton.  He hasn't done anything to justify this, Godfrey ignored after 3 more than capable games.  Ben wait for November call up will come even if you play for Norwich.

I saw Spurs and Everton and Mings looked at home in the premier league. He deserves a callup

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, King of spain said:

sorry to be naive but which stamps are we referring to?

only one Mings stamp i can recall and that was the one on Oliveira while he was on loan at Reading?

He stamped on a united player a few years ago, I can’t remember who, but Zlatan is the name that pops in my head

50 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think it is daft to think Godfrey is unlucky. He is in the U21's and that is a good starting place. 

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Godfrey should even be considered is looking at the situation with the most green and yellow tinted glasses ever seen.

45 minutes ago, King of spain said:

sorry to be naive but which stamps are we referring to?

only one Mings stamp i can recall and that was the one on Oliveira while he was on loan at Reading?

On Ibrahimovic when Mings was at Bournemouth.