https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/11096/11794727/gareth-southgate-announces-23-man-england-squad-on-thursday-who-should-be-included

So, according to the Sky Sports Power Rankings, Cantwell should be starting for England next week.

Obviously he's not going to be called up, but it's interesting to see his face in the centre of the main photo of the article. 

In the space of a month he's gone from being a player who was expected to be either a backup for us or loaned out to the Championship to being mentioned in articles such as this one. It just goes to show how far he has come in such a short time.

• Like 1

How far has he come really though? He always looked like a player who'd thrive in the Premier League. He did his loan two seasons ago and helped get the Dutch team promoted. A few years ago Man Utd were sniffing round. That's the player he is. The negativity came last season when he struggled to replace Buendia. He's still a different player to Buendia this season. He will improve further for playing in the Premier League. We're lucky to have him. 

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

How far has he come really though? 

Leaps and bounds, for me.

When he played last season, both in the period when he was starting games around Autumn and when he had those couple of starts in April, he looked like he had some promise but never struck me as a player who would be starring in the Premier League like this in less than 12 months.

He has always been a talented, technically gifted player. But there's a huge difference between looking promising in the Under-23s, getting good reviews in the Dutch second tier, showing glimpses of talent in the Championship and proving himself in the Premier League. This process has been completed it seems in less than two years. 

He won't be in the England squad just yet, but I'd imagine he's very close to an Under-21 call-up when you consider that players from this summer's Euros like Barnes, Dowell, Maddison and Gray are all too old now. It's the same for Godfrey and Aarons as all the centre backs and right backs from the Euros squad are now over-age.

If you're right that's even more credit to Daniel Farke for starting such a player at Anfield first game of the season. 🙃

I'll admit to being biased though. I've watched Cantwell so much over the years.

Yes,he's got something and it's a lot.

Another addition to the growing list of City starlets capable of reaching the heights. Please let it not end, and there have been some sensible youth acquisitions even in the last year ...didn't we pay a seven figure sum for a Scottish lad that Rangers were after? So many it's easy to lose track.

Let's hope Adam Idah is the next in line.

Is it because I'm a City fan well acquainted with past impoverishment or is it just the way professional football functions in this age where money talks more than ever before, but I can never resist thinking of £ signs when our youngsters come to the fore like this?

He's playing very well so far.

I admit I didn't see him being as effective as he has been. Long may it continue. 

Let's not get too carried away, however. Last season, he was never as bad as some suggested at the end of the season (he was really good before Christmas, when Onel was out) but equally, let's not too carried away now. 

I must admit I was surprised at the progress. I thought he might lack a bit of the physical and mental determination that made Buendia, a player with no more ability, such an importnat player last season. But it looks like the coaching staff have instilled something in him.

43 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I must admit I was surprised at the progress. I thought he might lack a bit of the physical and mental determination that made Buendia, a player with no more ability, such an importnat player last season. But it looks like the coaching staff have instilled something in him.

He seems to have made huge progress over the summer, credit to the coaching staff and to his dedication!

The club will start to see an increase in Match day Programme sales, as the skeptical fans search for a new scapegoat. 

This boy really is going somewhere, it's been quite impressive hasn't it?

Great to see a local lad starring for City! He will continue to grow in this set up

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:34, nutty nigel said:

How far has he come really though? He always looked like a player who'd thrive in the Premier League. He did his loan two seasons ago and helped get the Dutch team promoted. A few years ago Man Utd were sniffing round. That's the player he is. The negativity came last season when he struggled to replace Buendia. He's still a different player to Buendia this season. He will improve further for playing in the Premier League. We're lucky to have him. 

He's come on an incredible amount from the end of last season for me, to be fair Nutty, and to admit that is not to criticise him for where he was at previously. I was not someone who faulted him for 'not being Buendia' during that 3 game suspension period, nor was I someone who criticised his ability in general. All grumblings from our fans were totally unwarranted, and he showed plenty in the last season for me to know that he would come good eventually.

However, I never envisaged him coming this good this quickly, his transformation has been exceptional. I'd go as far to say that I have never known any player to improve so dramatically in off-season, he looks stronger, more aggressive, quicker in thought and on top of that; he is offering much more of a direct goal-threat with chances created, assists and goals.

I don't know what Farke fed him over summer, but I imagine its akin to popeye after much spinach.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

I have to say he confounded my expectations from day one. I couldn't help thinking he looked a bit, well, girly with that 'do he had. But, despite not being quick, he had a lot of skill to beat players with, a lot of swagger & was a lot stronger than he looked.

In some ways there is a touch (literally) of Buendia about him; in particular, I recall an Emi-esque flick with the outside of his boot as he was running back towards goal which fell beautifully into the path of a charging Onel (I think). And he's definitely improved all round this season.

He is doing a lot of the things he was doing last season but with more confidence. He's more assured. Stronger too. But he always had the awareness and speed of thought that sets premier league players apart.

23 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

interesting to see his face in the centre of the main photo of the article

I imagine he's only in the centre of the photo because of the way the shots were done with the player stances, and he happened to be the only once facing directly forwards!

But yes, I agree he's definitely come a long way in such a short space of time. Taking Pukki out the equation probably our top performer so far this season.

When I first saw him against liverpool I was watching it with my stepdad who puts the tv on so low you can’t hear owt. I just thought it was some elegant foreign player  that you had. Once I got his name i just felt inclined to post on here about him. I like watching young players come from nowhere. Same thing when I saw Maddison for Leicester in his first game I thought wow he’s a serious talent. Think the under 21’s would be a good a start for him. He might get invited to train with the full squad like Tom davies did and mason mount. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

When I first saw him against liverpool I was watching it with my stepdad who puts the tv on so low you can’t hear owt. I just thought it was some elegant foreign player  that you had. Once I got his name i just felt inclined to post on here about him. I like watching young players come from nowhere. Same thing when I saw Maddison for Leicester in his first game I thought wow he’s a serious talent. Think the under 21’s would be a good a start for him. He might get invited to train with the full squad like Tom davies did and mason mount. 

Funny you should mention Tom Davies as I think they are a few similarities between him and Todd, forget the hair thing , but their build, style , skill set and deceptive strength or tenacity on the ball are very similar. They both operate very well slightly left of centre. Lovely young players, the pair of them.