Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Bury have gone

Sad days, let's hope Bolton don't suffer the same fate

A sign of the times, possibly Bolton next? This could start a run of Clubs going to the wall, the Establishment need to make some changes, and quick.

The governance of football stinks. How the hell do people pass these fit and proper persons tests? Bury sounds like a bizarre Ponzi scheme that has gone terribly wrong (for Bury anyway, I am sure quite a few have got fatter wallets out of it). Coventry, Charlton, Blackpool. Even the binners. All are or have suffered from strange owner's decisions. It's wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/26/bury-britain-gigg-lane-brexit

With the amount of money in football- this sort of thing happening speaks only of rot. Rules need changing to ensure leadership is honest and share needs to be fairer down the leagues not just paying obscene wages at the top. Result would be better competition 

• Like 1

With the riches introduced by Sky into league football, particularly the premiership and championship, it’s a disgrace a club like Bury have been allowed to fold. The fact the club was sold only last season for £1 by Davey to Day should have rung alarm bells with the EFL in the first place. Did they do anything to help. No, just simply expell them! Shame on the likes of Man City and Utd who with their riches in the North East could have helped a struggling fellow North East club! 

My heart breaks for the fans. Listening to life long supporters crying on the radio. It's unforgivable. Imagine if it were our club. It's unforgivable that 120+ years has been wiped off the history books because the governing body aren't smart enough to spot signs of mis-management whilst a couple of con man asset strip / gamble. It's actually criminal. How does a club like Bury get to the point where it has no assets and a 9m debt. How is that ever allowed to happen?! It's not just a football club, it's people's lives and local businesses will be impacted too. The knock on will be horrific in that area. People will lose jobs. Argh! I'm so upset for them.

A few miles down the road... Manchester City. Why couldn't they help out and, dare I say, bring Bury FC into their umbrella as a B team (keeping the Bury name). I'm sure that would have been a better option. Bury FC as Man City B.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

A few miles down the road... Manchester City. Why couldn't they help out and, dare I say, bring Bury FC into their umbrella as a B team (keeping the Bury name). I'm sure that would have been a better option. Bury FC as Man City B.

I doubt Bury fans want to be Man City's B team.

True. But the entire financing of football is an undercurrent to what happened up there, with a whole lot of specific to Bury issues I do not propose to comment about. 

The Football League “must do something about it” seems a reasonable comment, unfortunately they do not run the Premier League - for better or worse - so don’t have access to that money. 

Ultimately, this may be a matter requiring the government to pass additional legislation on company governance. You can’t force local supporters to attend games, or owners to pay fixed wages, but you can put more teeth into Financial Fair Play by having the government on your side to help enforce existing laws or clarify the existing laws to make sure that financial shenanigans are not rewarded, but punished. 

And yes the PL could set up a charity to help UK football, but they won’t because that isn’t their focus. Just like the NFL, MLB in the US, make more money is ....

.... and no, i’m not expecting a Tory or a or Republican government to do anything to hold company boards to account for shady, or even illegal, activities. 

Edited by Surfer

Horrendous and heart wrenching as it is, Bury FC can be reborn with the fans at the heart of the club. They deserve something to come out of this - and it could work out well for them, they will be at the heart of any initiative to get Bury up and running again, even if it has to be something totally new.....the main thing will be that it should be owned by the fans and will be the better for it, even if they have to drop several leagues in their rekindling of the new Bury FC.   

Good luck to them.

47 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think you mean North West.

Never any good at geography Ricardo. Should have paid more attention! Still a great shame that their big brothers couldn’t help out imo. 

41 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

My heart breaks for the fans. Listening to life long supporters crying on the radio. It's unforgivable. Imagine if it were our club. It's unforgivable that 120+ years has been wiped off the history books because the governing body aren't smart enough to spot signs of mis-management whilst a couple of con man asset strip / gamble. It's actually criminal. How does a club like Bury get to the point where it has no assets and a 9m debt. How is that ever allowed to happen?! It's not just a football club, it's people's lives and local businesses will be impacted too. The knock on will be horrific in that area. People will lose jobs. Argh! I'm so upset for them.

Man City allowed bury to use their old training ground rent free saving them a fortune on the basis that all they had to do was maintain it. They didn’t and we’re evicted

Ownership by fans.... a utopian idea perhaps?v 

But here is another - the value of a team should not just be the revenue stream, as that revenue stream depends on the club and inherently the community behind the club. Therefore it is a Community Asset as well as a commercial asset, and one day, one government is going to pass a law to regulate and tax football as a result of it using / abusing this asset. 

Broadcasters in the US are regulated and taxed because they make use of such a Community Asset, and activists should be making a similar argument that the fabric of a society is just as much of an asset as broadcast spectrum is. 

24 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Ownership by fans.... a utopian idea perhaps?v 

But here is another - the value of a team should not just be the revenue stream, as that revenue stream depends on the club and inherently the community behind the club. Therefore it is a Community Asset as well as a commercial asset, and one day, one government is going to pass a law to regulate and tax football as a result of it using / abusing this asset. 

Broadcasters in the US are regulated and taxed because they make use of such a Community Asset, and activists should be making a similar argument that the fabric of a society is just as much of an asset as broadcast spectrum is. 

Fan ownership shouldn't be a utopian ideal though- it is the norm in Germany for example and works very well.

I'd love to see Deila & Michael do something radical before handing over to Tom by helping to put a solid % of their shares under fan ownership- not everything, just enough to bring them down to 49% ownership and put a fan voice on the board. I think it would be a tremendous legacy for them to leave.

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

In fairness Man City did help as did Man Utd. Man City offered all their training facilities and Man Utd offered a lot of their younger talent.

If the fans keep bailing out clubs all it does is means the next owner can just miss run a club and nothing happens. Look at Villa last year how did the EFL allow them to get away with it ?. They were lucky they won promotion.

In Burys case this owner was clearly not fit and proper. After 6 weeks he stopped paying the wages. Bolton I don’t know quite so much about.

The whole of the EFL board should resign as clearly they are as responsible as the owner for this. The FA and EFL are supposed to protect our clubs. At least bring in new rules, any teams spending beyond their means ( even if they have wealthy owners like Villa pumping money in ) should immediately be deducted points.

I am amazed nobody is holding up NCFC as an example of how a club should be financially managed, yet we find ourselves ridiculed and laughed at by so called experts that are telling us the only way to survive is spending money we haven’t got.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Fan ownership shouldn't be a utopian ideal though- it is the norm in Germany for example and works very well.

I'd love to see Deila & Michael do something radical before handing over to Tom by helping to put a solid % of their shares under fan ownership- not everything, just enough to bring them down to 49% ownership and put a fan voice on the board. I think it would be a tremendous legacy for them to leave.

Which fan? 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

The Football League “must do something about it” seems a reasonable comment, unfortunately they do not run the Premier League - for better or worse - so don’t have access to that money. 

And yes the PL could set up a charity to help UK football, but they won’t because that isn’t their focus. Just like the NFL, MLB in the US, make more money

Surfer, I’ve edited your post to highlight two key issues.

Could the PL do more to help the lower leagues -  undoubtedly, yes. However, they shouldn’t be expected to be the EFL’s lifeboat for troubled Clubs.

Linked to this, the EFL needs to get its own house in order. Its FFP rules are light touch and easily avoidable. Equally, they permit Clubs ‘allowable losses’ (they can actually lose more than this) of £39m over three years. What other governing organisation would permit companies to operate on a completely unsustainable basis?

So much hypocrisy in football of course. Neville sad about the closure of Bury which his family had links to but he and his friends decided to get Salford into the same league.

That was their choice of course but the constant turnover of clubs being allowed into L2 now is not making it any easier for the clubs in the bottom two leagues.

• Like 1

As Gerry and the Pacemakers would have

🎶 Bury, shown no mercy   🎶

do sing along next time you hear that song :classic_smile: