Icecream Snow

Farke - Klose's season could be over

I'm sorry for him but he has had so many injuries and been so fragile you have to ask whether he should have been released and replaced. 

He has had some talismanic moments but few and far between. 

At the time, amid the promotion euphoria I was pleased to see his contract extended but that looks like sentimental misjudgement now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

I'm sorry for him but he has had so many injuries and been so fragile you have to ask whether he should have been released and replaced. 

He has had some talismanic moments but few and far between. 

At the time, amid the promotion euphoria I was pleased to see his contract extended but that looks like sentimental misjudgement now. 

Easy to say in hindsight. We shouldn't have signed van Wolfswinkel, we shouldn't have signed Naismith etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Easy to say in hindsight. We shouldn't have signed van Wolfswinkel, we shouldn't have signed Naismith etc.

You back the Club to make good decisions. Surely, we were in a position to know how Timm fared physically. 

He has had a lot of injuries. Maybe tonight was unlucky but we are enticed to ask. 

On Saturday Greg Downs said we didn't have a top CH at the Club. Unfair on Godfrey but he is still gaining experience. 

You can say hindsight or say the proof of the pudding............. 

16 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Oh sh!t.

my thought exactly

7 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

You back the Club to make good decisions. Surely, we were in a position to know how Timm fared physically. 

He has had a lot of injuries. Maybe tonight was unlucky but we are enticed to ask. 

On Saturday Greg Downs said we didn't have a top CH at the Club. Unfair on Godfrey but he is still gaining experience. 

You can say hindsight or say the proof of the pudding............. 

When we signed Klose to a new contract, we were universally pleased about it. I don't think there were many at the time really questioning his injury record.

I do sadly think we made a mistake re the CB position(s) over the summer, have said it all along.  That Hanley was so close to nobbing off on loan to Blackburn suggests there were ???s on him and I think we should have got another body in.  Amadou might work as a stop-gap but you need round pegs in round holes longer-term and he’s better at cdm 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

When we signed Klose to a new contract, we were universally pleased about it. I don't think there were many at the time really questioning his injury record.

True. I was pleased. He can be a talisman. But we're we carried along in the euphoria of promotion? Same with Mario. 

No reason to expect this at the start of the season, we would have had to pay a lot of money to replace him.

By all accounts Amadou looked best suited to centre back. 

Hopefully Zim will be back soon and we can avoid more injuries in this position before the new year

Terrible news for Klose, only just in his comeback. Really hope it's not ACL but any major knee injury is going to be a minimum 6 months.

Thank goodness Zimm is back too, and Amadou looked good at CB tonight too

A huge blow. Hernandez and Klose were expected to be key players this season. As well as their obvious talent, they bring experience to a young side. This could be prove to be two big nails in the coffin... bitterly disappointing. 

Yes, I hope they keep Zimmermann in cotton wool for the rest of the week. I suspect Hanley will play v West Ham with Amadou on the bench as backup and Zimmerman held back until after the international break to make sure he’s 100%. 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Yes, I hope they keep Zimmermann in cotton wool for the rest of the week. I suspect Hanley will play v West Ham with Amadou on the bench as backup and Zimmerman held back until after the international break to make sure he’s 100%. 

Do you bring Zimmermann in against Man City though? Bit of a baptism of fire for your first prem game. Burnley the week after a slightly nicer introduction.

Yes, I hear you, but can you imagine what Man City will do to Hanley? Unless we accept it’s already lost or we play Amadou as a 3rd CB. 

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

....oh dear, does this mean that some people are going to have to back Hanley? 😱

All the backing in the world won’t change the problem that he’s not up to PL level 

Out of curiosity, when did Zimm become a much better player than Hanley? Is this that peculiar case whereby a player suddenly comes much better and more important whilst not playing? 

I'm sorry, but there's not a huge amount of difference in ability between Zimm and Hanley. Certainly no where near the gulf some are making out. And not enough to elevate the team to a new level. The type of player to cause Hanley issues, a player with pace and good movement, is also the type of player Zimm has struggled with. 

I just don't get it. Hanley is going to have a big role in the next few months. Maybe we should just accept that and support him. 

Klose yes, clearly a step up. But Zimm and Hanley - not a lot in it. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Out of curiosity, when did Zimm become a much better player than Hanley? Is this that peculiar case whereby a player suddenly comes much better and more important whilst not playing? 

I'm sorry, but there's not a huge amount of difference in ability between Zimm and Hanley. Certainly no where near the gulf some are making out. And not enough to elevate the team to a new level. The type of player to cause Hanley issues, a player with pace and good movement, is also the type of player Zimm has struggled with. 

I just don't get it. Hanley is going to have a big role in the next few months. Maybe we should just accept that and support him. 

Klose yes, clearly a step up. But Zimm and Hanley - not a lot in it. 

This is so laughable it’s hardly worth commenting on. Zimmerman was by far our best defender last season and that showed by his finishing 2nd in player of the season. Hanley did what in our promotion campaign?

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, JF said:

This is so laughable it’s hardly worth commenting on. Zimmerman was by far our best defender last season and that showed by his finishing 2nd in player of the season. Hanley did what in our promotion campaign?

100% agree. Hanley lost his place in the team to Zimbo last year.

7 minutes ago, JF said:

Hanley was playing well last season before his injury. Zimm came in and took his chance and played the majority of the season. Had he got injured, Hanley would have come back in. And then you might have been singing Hanley's praises? We had issues defensively last season with Zimm playing at a lower level. So considering this, whilst  baring in mind the step up in level and recent injury, you think we're suddenly going improve by dropping Hanley for Zimm? Now that is laughable. 

14 minutes ago, kick it off said:

100% agree. Hanley lost his place in the team to Zimbo last year.

Through injury?

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Not so sure, if he recovers well from last night I think he will be straight in. Farke has said previously that Zimbo might be fit for West Ham, and I really think he wants him to play. This is a game we will have targetted as one where we can pick up some points.

7 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Hanley was playing well last season before his injury. Zimm came in and took his chance and played the majority of the season. Had he got injured, Hanley would have come back in. And then you might have been singing Hanley's praises? We had issues defensively last season with Zimm playing at a lower level. So considering this, whilst  baring in mind the step up in level and recent injury, you think we're suddenly going improve by dropping Hanley for Zimm? Now that is laughable. 

There is simply no comparison to be made between them. Zimmerman is by far a better defender and footballer. 

We have to hope Zimm will be available and stay fit. We bought Amadou not for his versatility in two positions but as a crucial piece in the jigsaw to be a CDM. No disrespect to Trybull but that's where we need Amadou

Said all summer our outlay on players was conservative (& the players we brought in superb) but always felt we should have spent to upgrade on Hanley who is our weakest defender