Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Summer signings

Losing in the cup isn’t the end of the world - albeit VERY disappointing. what concerns me more after tonight is that none of the signings we made this summer seem to have improved on what we had or be knocking on the door for a start - which suggests an unacceptable transfer window. We seem to be left with little depth on tonight’s showing 

To be fair to Drmic - he is injured and Fahrmann hasn’t done much wrong / but the rest have hardly set the world on fire tonight. You would have thought Heise, Roberts and Amadou would want to show the fans what they are about. Instead - lose to flipping Crawley!! 

I only followed it on here, but it sounded like we were generally poor despite our majority possession, being unable to break their defence down. Too many loose passes, not many have done much to put their names in starting XI contention anyhow...

Edited by AJ

9 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Losing in the cup isn’t the end of the world - albeit VERY disappointing. what concerns me more after tonight is that none of the signings we made this summer seem to have improved on what we had or be knocking on the door for a start - which suggests an unacceptable transfer window. We seem to be left with little depth on tonight’s showing 

To be fair to Drmic - he is injured and Fahrmann hasn’t done much wrong / but the rest have hardly set the world on fire tonight. You would have thought Heise, Roberts and Amadou would want to show the fans what they are about. Instead - lose to flipping Crawley!! 

You were very close to the top of my "Supporter most likely to crumple like a cheap suit at the first setback" list. Thank you for your consistency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

DCb, can you remind me who we signed this Summer? 

And then tell me if they had a good game?

Edited by Surfer

You forget to mention Sam Byron a class full back who played very well. Did you forget him or does he not fit in with your post.

Most of these players were playing their first competitive game of the season so I have no idea how good or not so good these players are.

Eleven team changes, 5 of them making their City debut and people want to draw conclusions from that? Roberts hit the woodwork, Amadou looked comfortable in two positions, Idah got a full 90 minutes on his debut and both Byram and Heise did well enough in their first starts and the latter showed he can also play WL if need be. I'll wait to see them coming into a settled team before drawing any conclusions.

48 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You forget to mention Sam Byron a class full back who played very well. Did you forget him or does he not fit in with your post.

Most of these players were playing their first competitive game of the season so I have no idea how good or not so good these players are.

Second time I've seen his name spelled this way now!

It's BYRAM! 😂

I am all for optimism but, sorry, losing to a fourth tier team is pretty woeful - so, sorry, but those who should have been knocking on the door for a call up- which is most of the summer signings- put in a pretty poor showing however you want to dress it up. 

Ergo my post asking why none of them are pushing for a place in our team given the jump up. It’s great to see Aarons, Pukki, Godfrey et al pull you trees - but if we fail to back them in the transfer market then we will soon lose them and be back to square one. 

As stated earlier this season, between wasting huge sums (doing a Fulham) and spending next to nothing (Norwich) lies a sensible middle ground. 

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Second time I've seen his name spelled this way now!

It's BYRAM! 😂

I think calling him Byron is what is known as poetic licence..

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

If i could give that three Laugh Emoji i would .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Well b back said:

Plus Heise wasn’t signed in the summer.

I've seen Byram play and it's nice to know he looked ok against lower League opponents because he certainly didn't play well against anyone else. 

Heise too, sadly. 

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I don't think we should worry too much about a couple of letters in his name........what are Words worth anyway?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Ergo my post asking why none of them are pushing for a place in our team given the jump up. It’s great to see Aarons, Pukki, Godfrey et al pull you trees - but if we fail to back them in the transfer market then we will soon lose them and be back to square one. 

We won't be back to square one, because we won't simply lose Aarons, Pukki and Godfrey, they don't just disappear in a puff of smoke. 

They're all on long contracts and if the worst comes to the worst, we'll have to sell, we've done it before, only this time we have some serious talent, with eye watering values.

Seems like a massive overreaction to me, did you draw the same conclusions after Portsmouth?.... because we went on to win the League after that performance. 

14 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Ha! I wanted to do something along these lines but you put it way more eloquently than I would have!

Must be the Hours of Idleness I've spent looking at this forum 😉

• Like 1

Don't understand the comment re First Competitive game of the season. Thought we played a number of friendlies prior to season starting

Does that mean now that they are up to speed after playing a Div 2 side

This can happen in cup games when you throw eleven players together who haven’t played yet. That’s not an excuse but a reason, we see it every year in both cups. Of course you want to see players who should be knocking on the managers door perform better but you can’t judge them on ninety minutes.You could slot any of them in to the line up Saturday if required and you’d get a completely different performance I’m sure.