lappinitup

*****Official match thread v Crawley*****

I agree with those saying we should’ve signed Rhodes. He would be happy to be 3rd choice striker which inevitably could have lead to a decent amount of game time given Drmic’s injury record. 

Going into the season with a 2nd choice striker with a horrendous injury record, another deemed not good enough for the league below and an untried youngster is a massive gamble.

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Where did I say that? Total misrepresentation. Nobody would agree with that.

As FF said, he "may" have made a difference against Chelsea. Unlikely admittedly but a win last night would have been useful for the reasons I outlined above, not just to beat lower opposition on the night.

As it is we have Idah as back up striker with Drmic injured. I personally would rather have Rhodes.

I believe that we all have high hopes of young Adam so let's hope that they fructify.They might have to earlier than anticipated.

Additionally, I believe Farke was keen on getting Rhodes back for variety of reasons which I don't suppose took Carabao cup games into consideration. The finances scuppered it.

If The Goat gets injured, we're rightly fruct

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

As in, I tend to use Eurostar because I can’t be fructify

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

As in, I tend to use Eurostar because I can’t be fructify

Fructify do,  fructify  don't. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Fructify!!! What  a word,  Brilliant!

Quite a common word these days in that context. Surprised you seem not to have come across it before:

Merriam-Webster:-

"Fructify derives from Middle English "fructifien" and ultimately from the Latin noun fructus, meaning "fruit." When the word was first used in English in the 14th century, it literally referred to the actions of plants that bore fruit; later it was used transitively to refer to the action of making something fruitful, such as soil. The word also expanded to encompass a figurative sense of "fruit," and it is now more frequently used to refer to the giving forth of something in profit from something else (such as dividends from an investment). "Fructus" also gave us the name of the sugar "fructose," as well as "usufruct," which refers to the legal right to enjoy the fruits or profits of something that belongs to someone else."

IE: Bear fruit.

Now with regards Adam Idah who now seems to be the shining light in what has become a conveyor belt of excellent youth products in recent seasons and shows encouraging signs of continuing to roll. 

I sense his performance against Crawley has, although not a bad one, been considered as being a slight disappointment. I prefer to think that it should best be seen as part of that necessary learning curve and my hopes for the player's future in the yellow remain high.

Another juicy prospect then? A peach rather than a lemon? Will he become the (Adam's) apple of Farke's eye or just another windfall?

Without the finances to cherry pick the best of the crop we need a constant supply of young talent to replenish our stall with talent.

Whilst the binners continue to grow sour grapes we will carry on harvesting our own  bambinos (Italian grapes) that will eventually mature into fine wine.

😋

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Thanks 1

Super stuff Broado, I gathered its meaning as soon as I saw it, what a beautiful word, a very Stephen Fry kind of word. Agree with sentiment about Idah, if by chance he'd had a couple of goals and played extremely well then the Headlines would all have been about him, raising expectations and putting more pressure on him to be the next big thing. In the grand scheme things, his shank to own goal will be forgotten , and he will progress at his and the Clubs pace. He is still very young and has only been in England two years, a very different surrounding to the relatively quiet backwater that is Irish footy. I expect he'll be called up for Ireland u21 again which should give him a couple of competitive games to put Crawley behind him.

Edited by wcorkcanary

21 hours ago, Clint said:

I agree with those saying we should’ve signed Rhodes. He would be happy to be 3rd choice striker which inevitably could have lead to a decent amount of game time given Drmic’s injury record. 

Going into the season with a 2nd choice striker with a horrendous injury record, another deemed not good enough for the league below and an untried youngster is a massive gamble.

If Pukki gets injured I think we all agree we will find it significantly harder this season. 

Would Rhodes have been the answer to that issue? Almost certainly not. So why waste money on him? If Pukki gets injured, we sign someone in January. If we already had Rhodes eating into our wage bill (and whatever transfer fee we ended up paying reduced from our budget) then we’d either get nobody or somebody worse than we could have afforded without Rhodes.

I saw (and still see) little point in bringing in someone like Rhodes for the sake of it. Drmic is the ‘Rhodes player’. He’s the back up who probably won’t play much but can hopefully do a bit part job off the bench. Drmic (if he stays fit) probably has more potential to be a successful first team replacement for an injured Pukki than Rhodes as well. 

Aggy, Rhodes wouldn’t be the answer to Pukki being injured (although he did a decent job last season) but he would likely be much more the answer to Drmic being injured than Srbeny or Idah. 

The key is if Drmic stays fit but my point was it’s a big risk to assume he will do, based on his track record. He’s currently been available for only 25% of our matches and unlikely to be in the squad for Sat either.

That means Srbeny will likely be our option from the bench again. I’d much rather be bringing Rhodes on if we need a goal than Dennis!

Where Rhodes would have been useful is when sides like Chelsea play a high press and we can't get out. He would be there for a long ball.

On 27/08/2019 at 23:02, Jobsworth Canary said:

Well that was dreadful srbenny still hasn’t found his level yet, I suspect Sunday league

Adam Idah, dreadful truly dreadful why let Carlton Morris out on loan but keep this duffer 

biggest disappointment was Farke lying to the fans 2/3 changes my ar$e. 11 changes and it is clear we didn’t want to progress

I think Farke has been badly let down by players and back room staff.