lappinitup

*****Official match thread v Crawley*****

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

I’m sure they all know that already. You seem to have difficulty in remembering everything! Is it an illness? You really think stats are important. As I said they mean jack s**t. 

I'm struggling to work out which part of this post makes the least sense. I'll go with the bold part because I don't know what the hell it refers to.

Let's not confuse getting behind a team regardless when they are playing Premier League opposition and tolerating an abject no-show against L2 opposition. 

Farke has had previous watersheds and come out of them well. He needs to do so again. 

Roberts is this seasons lightweight.

McLean is a L1 player. 

Well that was dreadful srbenny still hasn’t found his level yet, I suspect Sunday league

Adam Idah, dreadful truly dreadful why let Carlton Morris out on loan but keep this duffer 

biggest disappointment was Farke lying to the fans 2/3 changes my ar$e. 11 changes and it is clear we didn’t want to progress

21 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Well that was dreadful srbenny still hasn’t found his level yet, I suspect Sunday league

Adam Idah, dreadful truly dreadful why let Carlton Morris out on loan but keep this duffer 

biggest disappointment was Farke lying to the fans 2/3 changes my ar$e. 11 changes and it is clear we didn’t want to progress

I think Farke has been badly let down by players and back room staff. 

I am sure Farke wanted to win this game to at least give the fringe or outer fringe players game time,

Cannot go along with that there were 11 players who had not played together before as an excuse as surely he knew the majority of the team he would be putting out tonight  a week or so ago

Very disappointing to say the least

Game was crying out for a hardworking goalscorer, good from set pieces etc. Someone like Jordan Rhodes. 

Disappointing result sure, but there are some serious overreactions! This type of result is not uncommon at this stage of the League Cup.

We put together a new side last night. A side full of new signings, players back from injury, and a newly promoted youth player to boot. No amount of training can fully prepare them for game conditions.  

The injury to Klose is hugely disappointing. But Vrancic and Amadou got some decent game time, and they're the only two close to a first eleven place at the minute. 

Look, we're going to take some beatings this season. But we might just get a few Newcastle games in between them. Hopefully enough to stay up. The League Cup isn't a priority, and to be honest our squad doesn't need the extra games with our injury record. So just forget last night and enjoy the season ahead! PL football is what we all wanted after all! I think some people need to reassess  their expectation levels. We're aiming to be the 17th best side in the country this season, nothing more! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

The injury to Klose is hugely disappointing. But Vrancic and Amadou got some decent game time, and they're the only two close to a first eleven place at the minute. 

This is something that slightly concerns me though. It feels a bit like last night exposed a lack of depth- players like Srebeny and Idah don't look ready to be called upon if the need arises. 

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is something that slightly concerns me though. It feels a bit like last night exposed a lack of depth- players like Srebeny and Idah don't look ready to be called upon if the need arises. 

Well, did any of us really expect Srbeny or Idah to look ready anytime soon? I think most would concede that Srbeny is unlikely to make the grade at this level, and Idah needs a substantial amount of time and coaching. Drmic is the only real option we have other than Pukki, but he's also injured! If we are in a position where we need Idah or Srbeny to start a game in the PL than it would be a pretty desperate one. 

We are light in a few departments. That was clear when the transfer window shut. We couldn't afford injuries, but sadly that's happened. 

12 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Well, did any of us really expect Srbeny or Idah to look ready anytime soon? I think most would concede that Srbeny is unlikely to make the grade at this level, and Idah needs a substantial amount of time and coaching. Drmic is the only real option we have other than Pukki, but he's also injured! If we are in a position where we need Idah or Srbeny to start a game in the PL than it would be a pretty desperate one. 

We are light in a few departments. That was clear when the transfer window shut. We couldn't afford injuries, but sadly that's happened. 

No I didn't, hence why it concerns me.

It does feel like this season is one Pukki injury away from being very tough. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ec-p said:

Game was crying out for a hardworking goalscorer, good from set pieces etc. Someone like Jordan Rhodes. 

We were correct not to give into Wednesday's excessive demands for the player so it's water under the bridge.

However, I couldn't resist thinking that JR might, just might have been useful in rescuing a point in that last fifteen against Chelsea and there is no doubting that his goal scoring threat would, yes would, have made a difference last night.

To those in the know: Was Adam Idah a slight disappointment last night? It did seem the perfect stage for him to make an  effective impact.

ALSO: Probably more important too, just how good did Amadou (?) look at first sighting. Reports of his impact upon the game seem rather suppressed.

Drmic's injury seems to be hanging around, he's hardly kicked a ball in anger yet.

A lot of set-backs to our hopes lately. A point against West Ham might help restore confidence as a bit of a 'backs to the wall' mentality seems to be gathering speed.

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We were correct not to give into Wednesday's excessive demands for the player so it's water under the bridge.

However, I couldn't resist thinking that JR might, just might have been useful in rescuing a point in that last fifteen against Chelsea and there is no doubting that his goal scoring threat would, yes would, have made a difference last night.

To those in the know: Was Adam Idah a slight disappointment last night? It did seem the perfect stage for him to make an  effective impact.

ALSO: Probably more important too, just how good did Amadou (?) look at first sighting. Reports of his impact upon the game seem rather suppressed.

Drmic's injury seems to be hanging around, he's hardly kicked a ball in anger yet.

A lot of set-backs to our hopes lately. A point against West Ham might help restore confidence as a bit of a 'backs to the wall' mentality seems to be gathering speed.

Not getting much praise, but I quite liked what I saw. Strong, powerful and comfortable on the ball. Not saying much, but he was definitely one of our better performers despite the odd moment of understandable rustiness. I think I would certainly feel more comfortable with him patrolling in front of the back 4 than Trybull. 

Harsh to judge Idah, but I was a bit disappointed. Scuffed a couple of decent half chances and wasn't massively involved. Certainly not the worst performer out there though - think Mario and Kenny would be fighting out for that one.

Edited by Excited Canary
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

just how good did Amadou (?) look at first sighting.

I thought he was similar to the German lads when they came here, used to a slower paced game that they play in Europe which meant he wanted a little bit too much time on the ball and was a little predictable. Having said that the match last night would have done him a lot of good and when fully up to speed he could be very useful.

The other thing that really got on my sizeable breasts were those of our so called fans who strolled into the ground well into the second half and even later

talk about taking seats away from genuine fans who would love to have attended that game

yes there were traffic issues but we all had them , just some made the effort to get there for kick off 

Being out of the cup is neither here nor there.

What is concerning is that everyone bar Idah and CB's aside is either;

In contention for first team place - Fahrmann, Amadou, Mclean, Vrancic, Roberts

Or direct replacements - Byram, Heise, Srbeny

Not time to press the "slag everyone off at the club including the cat" button yet chaps.

However, there are concerns after last night. Klose's injury being the main one. And the lack of goals to chances from the back up team.

I don't think 11 changes were wrong. It isn't as if we played players out of position. We played those charged with moving up should injuries, suspensions or lack of form occur.

DF has a job on his hands. He has to convince those that played last night that they are good enough and should have done better but it isn't going to alter the attitude of the normal starting eleven.

13 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Strewth, give Idah a chance to find his shooting boots. It was his first-team debut and he was playing in a side that hadn't gelled. Hardly fair to judge him on that.

The result, whilst disappointing doesn't really bother me.  Although, and with no disrespect to Crawley, the players on the pitch should have beaten Crawley.  Klose's injury is the worst thing to come out of it.

If it needed highlighting what the match has shown in stark reality, is our lack of strength in depth.  We are woefully short of capable cover up front especially with Drmic's injury and now with Klose getting injured again, we will have more hide behind the sofa moments watching Hanley for perhaps a prolonged period.

We went into this season with just about enough cover in certain key areas, but that was providing that there were no injuries.  Was that a risk worth taking?  If indeed you think it was a risk?  Perhaps suicidal, is too strong a word, perhaps not, to think or to gamble that you won't get injuries?

I said before the start of the season, that as long as we gave ourselves the best possible chance of survival (player recruitment, competitiveness in matches, learning quickly from mistakes), that even if we came back down, nobody could have any real complaints.  When the transfer window closed, I didn't think we had done so on that front.  I don't even want to think of the consequences should Pukki get injured.

Whilst we're not a one man team, I don't think it would be unfair to say that Pukki is our Ben Stokes.

The January transfer window will be an interesting one.  Will we be forced into a market we didn't want to venture into or will we stick to our guns even if injuries are prevalent?

If we do stay up, I definitely think we will be spending significantly more money next summer, than we did this.

13 hours ago, City 2nd said:

I’m sure they all know that already. You seem to have difficulty in remembering everything! Is it an illness? You really think stats are important. As I said they mean jack s**t. 

And as I replied, it's strange that all coaches have to study them for years before they're allowed to coach in the Premier League.

But you know best, obviously, which is probably why you ignored my comment the first time around.

As I've pointed out previously, we only scouted Buendia because of his stats-if you don't understand the importance of stats in the modern game, that's your problem.

• Like 1

This bit-chfest still going on 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Ward 3

1 hour ago, Grando said:

Strewth, give Idah a chance to find his shooting boots. It was his first-team debut and he was playing in a side that hadn't gelled. Hardly fair to judge him on that.

Fair enough, but the problem is that because of last night's result his next first team outing might well have to be against PL opposition if Drmic continues to be injured.

We could have therefore done with another  one of these cup games at least to help him find his way.

I just cannot help thinking back to the Jordan Rhodes saga and although the club were correct not to agree to the demands for him he has been sorely missed already.

What's up with Drmic? Is it a slight set-back or do I think of a Jarvis scenario, which would go against the grain considering our current faith in Webber?

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I just cannot help thinking back to the Jordan Rhodes saga and although the club were correct not to agree to the demands for him he has been sorely missed already.

Has he ? Would have made no difference at Anfield and been a time wasting substitution against Newcastle. Ok, he may have made a difference for the Chelsea match but we’ll never know will we ?

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Has he ? Would have made no difference at Anfield and been a time wasting substitution against Newcastle. Ok, he may have made a difference for the Chelsea match but we’ll never know will we ?

Exactly. You don't sign a player like Rhodes in order to beat League 2 opposition in the cup. 

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly. You don't sign a player like Rhodes in order to beat League 2 opposition in the cup. 

Where did I say that? Total misrepresentation. Nobody would agree with that.

As FF said, he "may" have made a difference against Chelsea. Unlikely admittedly but a win last night would have been useful for the reasons I outlined above, not just to beat lower opposition on the night.

As it is we have Idah as back up striker with Drmic injured. I personally would rather have Rhodes.

I believe that we all have high hopes of young Adam so let's hope that they fructify.They might have to earlier than anticipated.

Additionally, I believe Farke was keen on getting Rhodes back for variety of reasons which I don't suppose took Carabao cup games into consideration. The finances scuppered it.

Edited by BroadstairsR

34 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

This bit-chfest still going on 🤦‍♂️

Forgetting all that for a moment did anyone manage to eat one of those horrible burgers on sale inside the ground ? Nothing on sale outside so it was that or nothing.

Got one of their doubles which ended up being dished up on two hot dog rolls as they'd run out of burger buns and just about everything else too. To say it was disgusting is being kind. Stood next to Tom Smith on the terrace and not surprisingly I noticed wasn't tempted.

Surprised Crawley didn't organise better caterering for the night. They'd have made a killing.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Forgetting all that for a moment did anyone manage to eat one of those horrible burgers on sale inside the ground ? Nothing on sale outside so it was that or nothing.

Got one of their doubles which ended up being dished up on two hot dog rolls as they'd run out of burger buns and just about everything else too. To say it was disgusting is being kind. Stood next to Tom Smith on the terrace and not surprisingly I noticed wasn't tempted.

Surprised Crawley didn't organise better caterering for the night. They'd have made a killing.

Sausage roll wasn’t bad!