Van wink

Rain Forest

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I'm surprised to see the media keep making headlines out of it. At this point, it's more of a story if he faces up to scrutiny. Him running away is par for the course now.

Following their treatment over tonight’s absurd climate debate, Lee Cain has formally complained to OFCOM about channel 4’s bias. Read it in full here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/437383864/Conservative-Ofcom-complaint-channel-4#from_embed

28 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It’s a shame they didn’t let Gove participate. 

Is that an new way to describe wnaking? He thinks he is big enough to be in a PM's shoes.

It would have been a better debate for the viewers.

Anyone see the SpaceX satellites in the sky last night. Apparently astronomers could see their release quite clearly. And many people in Cornwall able to see them,

4 hours ago, Van wink said:

It’s a shame they didn’t let Gove participate. 

It's a sham. 

Good new I think? If real progress is to be made the true financial costs of global warming have to be included in decision making, the emphasis being on "true"

"Mark Carney will take up a role as UN special envoy for climate action and finance when his term as Bank of England governor ends next year. The appointment, announced on Sunday ahead of the UN COP25 climate change summit in Madrid, reflects a global push for central banks to play a bigger role in tackling climate change. European Central Bank president Christine Lagarde wants it to become a “mission critical” priority for the ECB, despite opposition from some eurozone central bankers who believe it is a political matter. The appointment, which will take effect only when Mr Carney has left the BoE, does not answer the question of when the UK government will appoint a replacement for the governor, whose term at the bank ends in January. Chancellor Sajid Javid has deferred the decision until after this month’s election and Mr Carney has not ruled out staying on for a short period in order to ensure a smooth succession. Under Mr Carney, the BoE has focused on developing new frameworks for financial institutions and companies to report on climate-related risks, as part of its work on financial stability. Mr Carney has also pushed for action at international level, launching a task force to develop voluntary reporting guidelines with Michael Bloomberg — who also served as a UN special envoy on climate change in 2018. He said the role — an unpaid, advisory position, which will centre on preparations for next year’s COP26 meeting in Glasgow — would provide “a platform to bring the risks from climate change and the opportunities from the transition to a net zero economy into the heart of financial decision-making”. “To bring climate risks and resilience into the heart of financial decision-making, climate disclosure must become comprehensive; climate risk management must be transformed, and sustainable investing must go mainstream,” Mr Carney added. The BoE said a key focus would be on “shifting the financial system towards mobilising private finance to the levels needed to support the 1.5 degree goal of the Paris agreement”. This suggests that Mr Carney still views the role of central banks as one of ensuring that the market prices climate risks correctly."

On 27/08/2019 at 09:41, Van wink said:

I find it very difficult to watch to footage of the burning forest, makes me feel sick and hugely angry at the same time.

You can forget about the plus and minus arguments on Brexit for our future, in context it is of little importance for our future.

This from 1989

We haven't managed to stop it's destruction and the fantastical EU just rewArded Brazil's **** of a president a trade deal!!! I mean what!!! Should've been sanctions

Now I am with the environmental movement but the science on whether it's man made is ,I am afraid ,unproven 

Not that that matters to me, do I want clean energy, huge nature reserves, more forests,clean oceans, the answer will always be yes.

For years now our government's have been creating employment

Middle management , human resources (hypocrites) pc, health and safety bla bla

These jobs have made other peoples jobs worse, like someone is always watching over your shoulder. Productivity has suffered because of it.

Now if we shift emphasis and start creating environmental jobs , then I think we could improve everybody's life.

After all I believe our job is as stewards to the environment. We are it's guardians , not it's destroyer.

Why not create a new national service of the environment, which takes kids away like the old national service. It would help to integrate newcomers too and maybe give them university credits as payment.

Less than 1,000,000 hedgehogs left in the UK apparently. If they don't weigh at least 450 grams they cannot last hibernation. We have a run through our garden and it is current as the dog sniffs it at night. Don't throw your leaves away. Make a pile at the bottom of the garden and they will eat the bugs, termites and worms. 

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Less than 1,000,000 hedgehogs left in the UK apparently. If they don't weigh at least 450 grams they cannot last hibernation. We have a run through our garden and it is current as the dog sniffs it at night. Don't throw your leaves away. Make a pile at the bottom of the garden and they will eat the bugs, termites and worms. 

Sadly seen one or two around in daylight hours, which isnt a good sign. We have an amazing Hogspital near us with a large garden where they keep the poor little ****s that arent well enough to return to the wild. They are treated in what are essentially garden sheds and put in what look like little plant propagators, wonderfull place.

On 12/12/2019 at 17:26, Herman said:

Well done Greta. 

No Greta is one of yours

Your side like a bit of child abuse

I don't buy this climate emergency b o l l o X at all but I do buy into ecology and that's what I will stick to.

This is a very interesting interview with piers Corbyn, the brother of our Jezza 

• Like 1

FT

"The year is closing on a sober note for the climate. Australia’s largest city has been choked by blazing bush fire smoke. Arctic annual temperatures have neared their highest recorded levels. The streets have filled with protesters as atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide have continued to rise. Yet on Sunday, as the longest UN climate change talks ever held stumbled to an end in Madrid, the world’s governments responded to the threat of climate breakdown with a familiar display of rancorous discord. Delegates failed to set new rules for an international carbon trading system that would in theory allow emissions to be cut at a lower cost under the 2015 Paris agreement. After Brazil and other nations were accused of lobbying for weaker rules, a decision was deferred to a more crucial round of UN climate talks that the UK will host in Glasgow in November next year. It could have been a lot worse. Doing nothing this time was better than agreeing to flawed proposals that would have created a weaker trading system and undermined the Paris accord’s central aim to keep global warming well below 2C. But there is a more troubling side to the Madrid bickering. It reflects a deepening divide between countries over how fast they must cut their carbon emissions. There are signs that President Donald Trump’s ill-advised decision to pull the US out of the Paris agreement has emboldened other climate laggards. The UK government must use all its diplomatic efforts to bridge these divisions between now and the Glasgow talks. The meeting in Scotland will be the most important since the Paris agreement because it is supposed to deliver a new round of emissions-cutting pledges from countries. A periodic strengthening of these national efforts is vital to the agreement’s success. Boris Johnson’s task will be complicated. The meeting is due on the eve of yet another fraught Brexit deadline: completing a new trade deal with the EU by the end of 2020. Yet the prime minister must not be distracted. His crushing election victory last week means the UK is poised to leave the EU at the end of January, making Glasgow one of the first serious tests of the UK’s global relevance outside the EU. For a post-Brexit UK, the event offers opportunities as well as challenges, and Britain is potentially well-placed to exploit them. In June it became the first G20 country to write into law a goal to cut its emissions to net zero by 2050. Mr Johnson repeatedly vowed during the election to meet that target. True, climate policies in his Conservative manifesto were scant on detail and Mr Johnson’s personal views on climate change have been a work in progress. But he now has the chance to seize the opportunity Glasgow presents and turn the UK, the birthplace of the industrial revolution, into a global showcase for a 21st century low carbon revolution."

The challenge if there for BJ.......I sincerly hope he delivers.

People fail to understand that there is going to be an initial cost to trying to soften climate change. And I think once they do, there will be the usual run for the hills and not much apart from platitudes will happen.

Just like rail companies, energy companies, water companies, the infrastructure will be ignored.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

People fail to understand that there is going to be an initial cost to trying to soften climate change. And I think once they do, there will be the usual run for the hills and not much apart from platitudes will happen.

Just like rail companies, energy companies, water companies, the infrastructure will be ignored.

But isn’t the point here that developing new technologies presents opportunity and help address the problem?

But isn’t the point here that developing new technologies presents opportunity and help address the problem?

I fear for some that it will just be profit motivated. I know that from my knowledge of the local wind farm companies and their money doesn't matter attitude because they will eventually pass it on.

Energy and the climate has to be controlled and monitored by governments. We cannot keep allowing companies to dictate to us. Market forces do not work when it comes to climate.

For instance, Whirlpool doing a great job with their washing machines and driers. Now their checker has crashed. Our smart meter goes into the red as soon as we switch on the washing machine. Yet our water is hotter than  the cycle temperature so where is the extra energy being used? The motor doesn't start up immediately until the water is in.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I fear for some that it will just be profit motivated. I know that from my knowledge of the local wind farm companies and their money doesn't matter attitude because they will eventually pass it on.

Energy and the climate has to be controlled and monitored by governments. We cannot keep allowing companies to dictate to us. Market forces do not work when it comes to climate.

Absolutely agree KG 👍

Fascinating to hear the scientists and reporters talk about their expedition to Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica and the effect climate change is having on it and the rate it is warming and melting. A glacier that is the size if GB!

Loo forward to seeing the documentary.

• Like 1

Also sad listening to reports about the areas off the barrier reef that have basically turned grey and barren. Some coral will regenerate of course but sadly it is very susceptible to sea temperatures and the outlook is grim. Having been snorkelling above very rich coral it’s an amazing awesome experience. 

Edited by Van wink

If you want to do something that is very easy, but which will help in a small way switch your Internet search engine to Ecosia. The results are just as good as Google and Ecosia use the proceeds of their advertising revenue to plant trees around the world.

Everyday millions of people just use Google like sheep - there's absolutely no good reason to do so, except that it's become a habit. Switch now! 

https://www.ecosia.org/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If you want to do something that is very easy, but which will help in a small way switch your Internet search engine to Ecosia. The results are just as good as Google and Ecosia use the proceeds of their advertising revenue to plant trees around the world.

Everyday millions of people just use Google like sheep - there's absolutely no good reason to do so, except that it's become a habit. Switch now! 

https://www.ecosia.org/

Nice one, never knew about that, it works fine

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

Thirsty, using Windows 10, how can I put my Gmail on the Bookmarks Bar please?

In a surprise move, the woman appointed to run the crucial UN climate summit in Glasgow in November has been sacked.

Going to be chaired by a "minister". So no independence.