Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

O/T Bolton & Bury Could Be Gone At 5pm Tomorrow.

Both have had their deadline extended but with Bolton's latest takeover falling through today it is looking bleak with the administrators waiting to take control of the stadium later this week.

Great shame, and yet two clubs so close you would think someone would be suggesting amalgamation rather than oblivion for both.

• Like 1

Presumably that ship has sailed... the time for massive cost cutting and building a combined identity and fan base (if permitted by the fans, rather than actually resulting in reduced income) would have been months, and preferably years before.

Now in their hour of desperation the fans might just accept it, but surely by definition too late - all they’d be amalgamating is their debts and their failing boards.

They are close, though aren’t they! Just 6 miles’ separation 

Bury’s demise is a grim warning that small-town Britain is still being left behind

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/26/bury-britain-gigg-lane-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

This article provides a very good back story. So shocking. And you hope so much something good can rise up out of the ashes.

A ground that is dear to my heart. I recall us lose there (Bishop scoring) in the cup in Roeder's day.

36 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Bury’s demise is a grim warning that small-town Britain is still being left behind

This article provides a very good back story. So shocking. And you hope so much something good can rise up out of the ashes.

A ground that is dear to my heart. I recall us lose there (Bishop scoring) in the cup in Roeder's day.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/26/bury-britain-gigg-lane-brexit?

Interesting the juxtaposition of these clubs going down the swanny, and at the same time a Lancastrian British billionaire’s company Ineos is off buying French side Nice.  Clearly business is business, but it’s a huge shame if something can’t be done to sort things out for both these sides.

How do you really solve the problem of dodgy owners though? 

Both these clubs need a high net worth individual to come along and pump some money in. But if you were a high net worth individual why would you do that when you know it makes zero business sense, and you'd get no gratitude at all for your altruism or at least only get it for the short term.

Let's say I walked into Bolton tonight with £5m and a clear plan to achieve sustainability. If two years down the line the club was operating in its means but that meant having the status in the game of a Barnsley/Rotherham/Peterborough, how long before Bolton fans start demanding I find foreign investment to bankroll a promotion push / gamble because they once had Jay Jay Okocha and Ivan Campo and therefore deserve their eternal Premier League Status.

Being a football club owner is just completely thankless and wouldn't be any fun at all. 

That's why you end up with all these clueless chancers picking up clubs for a quid. 

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting the juxtaposition of these clubs going down the swanny, and at the same time a Lancastrian British billionaire’s company Ineos is off buying French side Nice.  Clearly business is business, but it’s a huge shame if something can’t be done to sort things out for both these sides.

Not as shameful as Bury boys Phil Neville and Gary Neville helping to bankroll the rise of a plastic club because Salford with its media city has become trendy while their hometown club (which both their parents have been involved in, Neville Neville was s director once) goes extinct.

Quite true - tbh I think there’s rules about multi-ownership, though...and being fair when the Nevilles were investing in Salford, Bury were actually doing relatively ok.  I guess they could sever those links and help Bury, but you’d have thought there might/would be others with some cash to spare.

The trouble is that fans in this locality tend to support the big Manchester/Liverpool clubs 

had they supported their local teams then crowds and resultant incomes would be higher and the clubs more sustainable 

1 minute ago, Wonder canary said:

The trouble is that fans in this locality tend to support the big Manchester/Liverpool clubs 

had they supported their local teams then crowds and resultant incomes would be higher and the clubs more sustainable 

It’s the equivalent of having a professional club in Acle or Attleborough 

It is an unpopular opinion but I feel like the league actually needs clubs like this to go out of business and restart from the bottom. It feels like whoever takes over these clubs they'll be back in the financial **** after a few seasons. Starting from scratch would allow them to rebuild on a sustainable model ala AFC Wimbledon.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

It’s the equivalent of having a professional club in Acle or Attleborough 

Agreed.

From Gigg Lane you're probably a max 30 minute drive from Man U, Man City, Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan and then less than an hour away from both Liverpool teams and Huddersfield, all of whom play at the same or a higher level. 

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

We're less than an hour away from 1p5wich

Only if you're speeding.

And that is the only professional team within about a 90 minute drive from us.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Only if you're speeding.

Yeah that's fair enough and take your point about how much competition they have.

I remember some of the blogs the young lady from Bolton produced last year which were really knowledgeable. She was so passionate about her club. I feel for her and the like who have no influence over the decisions that got them where they are now 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Only if you're speeding.

I repeat...they're not a professional club...

As I understand it, the EFL deadline is actually a 14 day notice of expulsion from the league....which is effectively a 14 day extension to their current plight.  In this context it appears to be pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

However, as had been pointed out, Bolton have a much bigger worry in the shape of the administrators, who want to start stripping the club on Wednesday.

This is awful for the 2 sets of fans, but I am getting fed up of reading about how they are both too historical to be allowed to die.  Let's hope something good comes out of this in the form of a fundamental change to the ownership model for football clubs in this country - maybe something akin to the German way, where only 49% can be externally owned (hence, no rich billionaires can tear the heart out of a club).  On the flip side, it has left German clubs struggling to compete in Europe.

Edited by Scot-e-dog

Notts County were the oldest club in the League until their relegation to non-league football last season and I don't recall much sympathy for them.

As others have mentioned, Lancashire, Greater Manchester & Merseyside are spoilt for choice for professional football clubs in close proximity, so it's very hard to muster any sympathy for Bolton & Bury fans who no doubt support the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool &/or Everton when their playing at home.

Bolton & Bury's demise will be encouraging for National League sides where many former League clubs compete --- York, Halifax, Stockport, Torquay, Barnet, Dagenham, Notts County, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Yeovil, Barrow, Aldershot, Chesterfield, Chester, Hereford, Kidderminster, Southport & Darlington will now be excited at the prospect of additional promotion places -- Including Kings Lynn who have never contested in the League.

Bolton & Bury have failed to cut their cloth accordingly and will have to do so in the lower Leagues.

Luton did and they came back 👍

" it has left German clubs struggling to compete in Europe. "

which has saved them, but wrecked clubs across the rest of Europe

I hear nothing but positive stuff about attendances, ticket costs etc in Germany

who benefits from European competitions in the UK less than a half a dozen... clubs that are owned,managed and played for by non uk people with huge sums being sucked out of the game while most clubs are struggling to keep up

Sasly it needs supporters to act, but there are too many 'fans' at the moment to se betond the next televisied European game

Can't believe i'm agreeing with you Joolso. Football is competitive in both Sporting and financial ways. If this could have been sorted, one way or the other before the season started would have been preferable, it's a sad messy end for two Clubs, but as you say, opens opportunities for others. Just glad we are stable, as the financial climate is going to get stormy in the next couple of years i reckon.

Edited by wcorkcanary