Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Ashton staying perhaps...............

well done worthy, it seems even he beleives he has created a one man team. by the sounds of those comments.  What an idiot.  Doesnt say much for how well he thinks his new players are doing.

He is a fool. As i keep on saying he is in the process of dismantling all the hard work he had put in over the last few years and leaving us a team of cloggers.

Paul... are you trying to be the new 1st Waz? You are becoming a parody of yourself. Have you not been saying the same thing: "no Ashton, no promotion" recently? So when Worthy comes out and says it, you call him an idiot. The guy can''t win can he?

You also keep on and on about being a team of cloggers. Can you explain what you mean by this, and which players you''re referring to? Do you really think that players like Green, Drury, Safri, McVeigh, Huckerby, Ashton are cloggers? If they are, why are several of them so regularly linked with big money moves to the Prem? And why is it that we keep getting accused of not being physical enough for this league. Would you prefer a manager like Warnock, with a Sheff Utd style of play?

I''d say the bigger problem is that recent success has turned a number of the fans into Little Britain Wolves-Like fans.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

well done worthy, it seems even he beleives he has created a one man team. by the sounds of those comments.  What an idiot.  Doesnt say much for how well he thinks his new players are doing.

He is a fool. As i keep on saying he is in the process of dismantling all the hard work he had put in over the last few years and leaving us a team of cloggers.

[/quote]A lot of people on these message boards have been saying "Sell Ashton, and our promotion chances have gone". Now Worthy has come out and said the very same thing, along with stressing how much the club do not want to sell him, and he gets criticised for it. But then that''s hardly surprising, seeing as you yourself seem to take every and any opportunity to get on his back.Clearly, you let one of the top strikers in the league go, and it''s going to affect your promotion chances, simple as really.

He really can''t win, can he. Half the people on here seem to think that if Ashton goes then it should be the end of Worthington''s career here. So he goes on record with the strongest language he can muster to make sure that the board aren''t tempted by anything less than a ridiculous offer and he gets this. I mean, I''m not the man''s biggest fan, but I think we should be a bit fairer than this.  

Amarillo - Whilst I agree that it is wrong to get on the back of NW for the sake of it, I do not agree with your "little Britain" jibe. There is nothing wrong with expecting success, the NCFC Board have stated on numerous occassions that they are ambitious (with prudence) and when we were promoted to the Prem they were talking about "European football in 5 years" (not relegation). 

To be honest I dont think losing ashton is the end of the world - I think that he should be kept because he is one of the best players we have had for many a year, not because we wont get promoted without him.  If in any way I trusted worthy in the transfer market i would advocate selling him for 7.5 million and buying 3 talented players ala Koumas Harford and Rasiak or the like - all players whom would retain their value, excellent championship players who have the probablitity of being Very useful premiership players.  If Ashtons ever hands in a transfer request his value will plummet.

To come out and say that if we lose ashton we will finish no better than where we are at the moment is just insulting to the rest of the team.  Having seen the squads that are in the top 6 at the moment, I truely beleive even if ashton was injured for the seaoson we could make the top 6 with decent management.

I think you have to just think for a minute about who these words are intended for. I don''t think that our players are simple enough not to understand that language used in the press is not a direct comment to them and that it perhaps serves different agendas. 

I completely agree with Amarillo et al on this - quite where some people get off is beyond me, and to be so touchy about a "Little Britain" jibe is a little sad...I fear I open myself up to abuse for this comment, but I am big enough and ugly enough to take it!  

Worthy can do nothing right, can he?  I really do get the feeling that we could pull off the most amazing signing(s) of the year and still there would be a negative side to look at for some.

The biggest problem is that no one seems to agree who we need to bring in: the clamour for completely unproven players (at this level), from the lower divisions - like Eastwood/Trundle etc - is as big as the clamour for signing proven Premier/Championship players.  It is a case of one or the other, so whichever Worthy goes for opens him up to criticism from others.  He just can''t win; in the past few weeks/months just about anyone signing for anyone is "oh well there goes another we could have got" (eg Fryatt) when they are probably no better/proven than what we have already: Thorne, for example is a proven player at this level, and hasn''t really been given a chance.

Branston - I am also big enough and ugly enough to take abuse. I am happy for NW and the NCFC Board to get on and manage the club, if Ashton leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays I cannot get worked up about it. My point is that at the begining of this season I expected (not unreasonably IMO) that we should make at least the play offs, now if other fans have lesser ambitions for NCFC thats their business. 

I don''t disagree at all with what you say here, Paul - I for one never thought it would be a cakewalk, but  have to say nor did I expect our ''poor'' spell - which nearly all relegated sides do seem to go through - to last as long as it did.  We are still in the pack for play-off places though, so we may yet meet expectations to at least some extent. 

The problem to me is that some seem to be constantly on the Club''s back - be it the players, manager or board - whatever they do, and this was getting to be almost annoying to me as the poor form on the pitch (and it seems I''m not alone).  Criticism when it is is due is fair enough - but the it really doesn''t have to be quite as relentless as it is, and often contains quite a lot of revision of history which I find rather annoying (for eg, Svensson had a clause in his contract that he could go if we were relegated, and clearly wanted to go - something people seem willing to forget; Coppell/Jewell wanted to keep Hughes/Jarrett so are they really that bad?  I could go on.....).

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I completely agree with Amarillo et al on this - quite where some people get off is beyond me, and to be so touchy about a "Little Britain" jibe is a little sad...I fear I open myself up to abuse for this comment, but I am big enough and ugly enough to take it!  

Worthy can do nothing right, can he?  I really do get the feeling that we could pull off the most amazing signing(s) of the year and still there would be a negative side to look at for some.

The biggest problem is that no one seems to agree who we need to bring in: the clamour for completely unproven players (at this level), from the lower divisions - like Eastwood/Trundle etc - is as big as the clamour for signing proven Premier/Championship players.  It is a case of one or the other, so whichever Worthy goes for opens him up to criticism from others.  He just can''t win; in the past few weeks/months just about anyone signing for anyone is "oh well there goes another we could have got" (eg Fryatt) when they are probably no better/proven than what we have already: Thorne, for example is a proven player at this level, and hasn''t really been given a chance.

[/quote]

The biggest problem is worthy is not signing proven Premier/Championship players or completely unproven players (at this level), from the lower divisions).  he is signing other championship clubs failures.  For lots of money. (1 million is still a lot of money for NCFC especially when it wont be recouped ala Etuhu/Hughes) actually maybe another manager will fall for Etuhu''s Big string look and miss the average ability.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]So he is weak for not saying "Ashton is going nowhere" even though we could get a shed load of money. And when he does try and keep Ashton he still screws up?[/quote]

I think i took worthhys comments out of context.  And to be honest what worthy has been saying recently is EXACTLY what we want to here.  We arent going to sell unless someone pays the big bucks.

good work worthy.